HK Models B-17 Aftermarket

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Hi Superfly,

I f the Profimodeller Barrels for the B-25 were anything to go by, I think you may regret you purchase.

As for the undercarriage, I will be interested to see what it looks like.

Guest Nigelr32

Hi Nigel,

First, and foremost, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I thoroughly enjoyed your previous review on the B-25, and have bookmarked it o that when, (if?), the cannon nose gets released, I can cite your reference.

As I have recently recieved my B-17, and as I anxiously await your next AM review, I have a question you may be able to answer.

Would it be more cost effective to only purchase the Eduard items that you plan to use individually, or as a bulk item, ie: BIGED?

I don't particularly need the landing flaps, but if it's cheaper to buy the whole package, and just not use the flaps, versus spending more overall buying just what I plan to use, than I'd rather do the former.

Thanks for any help you can give. :hmmm:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your kind words there, they're much appreciated.

As far as buying a Big Ed set goes, it will always be cheaper than buying the sets individually. Having said that, the Flaps set is over £60 retail and I doubt the Big Ed set will be THAT much cheaper? I intend to buy the set's as they're released so the cost is spread out over a couple of months rather than having to swallow it all in one go. The total cost of all the sets is more than the kit based on UK retail pricing!!

I have written to Eduard asking them to put me at the top of their list for the new sets, so I can show them here as they come out, but I've had no response whatsoever.

Edited by Nigelr32

Hi Nige

As always theres that risk with AM stuff not being up to par.... I purchased Aber's barrel set for my Tamiya P-51...and some of the barrels need to be fixed aswell....Can I ask what was the issue with the Profimodeller's barrels? Master was another option but this was the complete set so I went for it... I've also read that Master's barrels were short in some areas on the B-25 because of the kits gun placements...Profimodeller addressed that issue by having different length barrels....Could we run into the same issue with the B-17 if we went with Master barrels?

Im curious if there would be any interest in laser cut wood parts to replace the kit wood parts? just a thought though. I did look over the parts, and I think the ammo bins wouldnt be a good candidate for real wood,since there are so many small cuts/parts ,and the wood would be too thin for that..but the doors floors and tables would be doable..

Guest Nigelr32

Im curious if there would be any interest in laser cut wood parts to replace the kit wood parts? just a thought though. I did look over the parts, and I think the ammo bins wouldnt be a good candidate for real wood,since there are so many small cuts/parts ,and the wood would be too thin for that..but the doors floors and tables would be doable..

What about laminate wood glued to the plastic parts, just like model ship decks?

Been wondering the same thing myself. If anybody decides to make them in real wood, I'd buy them.

Jerry Peterson

Nautlius does a wood floor for the Dragon P-51 kits so there is a precedent for it. They're the ones who make the wing jig for the Tamiya Phantom kits. As for the ammo bins, someone else does 1/35 ammo crates out of wood (can't recall who at the moment) so that may not be that difficult either.

Carl

edit: I found the company that does the wood crates.

http://www.gclaser.com/military/

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Ive used GC products in the past..he does make ammo crates for 1/35 armor, but the ammo bins on the B17 are alot more intricate..especially in the area where the ammo belts come out..which would require photo etch parts. I cant do photo etc ;( I work on some test parts next week to see what I can come up with that would be useful and reasonably priced. thanks for the responses

Ka-models seems to be doing a rather comprehensive set for the B-17 (future release). Resin wheels, metal undercarriage, etched parts and guns. Not cheap, but then again....

It all looks pretty good in the pics. Wonder how their PE stacks up against Aber's? Don't recall seeing a price, but I'm betting it'll be comparable to a full set of Aber.

I've been expecting Profi to get in the B-17 aftermarket game by now, just like they did with the B-25. However, aside from the metal gear and flash suppressors, they haven't done much. Could it be that they've decided to leave this one alone?

Jerry Peterson