Tamiya P51D/K.

Mal_Belford

I have been following your build and it looks great thus far!  I noticed you've "alcladed" the wings.  I don't know if you know this or not but the Mustang's wings are actually painted silver (comprised of aluminum paste and clear lacquer on the real aircraft), they're not natural metal for the most part (a few panels and parts are natural metal on the wing surfaces).  If you already know this and are fine with the natural metal then all is good, plod on!

Thx All.

Yep ive read it somwhere that they were painted.

But it doesnt matter, the wings will have 3 fat big stripes across them, and also when im finished then it wont be that shiny metal anyway ;) so there is several steps ahead, wait when the dullcoat is on the wings ;) But ill keep that in mind if i go for a cleanbuild stang someday ;)

/Mal

Guest Peterpools

Mal

Outstanding Alclad NMF- just love it. Yuip, Tamiya Black Gloss seems to be the best route to take.

I'm just about right with you now .. Prop and spinner are done, weathered and drying.

Can't wait for your next update

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

She's lookin' quite brilliant Mal, no pun intended. When you used Tamiya's gloss black, did you use their acrylic paint or the lacquer TS paint from their spray cans?

Mrs. Bonnie is going to look quite splendid by the look if things.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thx All for the kind words.

@Wolf.

Ive used Aclrylic Tamiya Black Gloss X-1, very diluted and many many thin rounds, and the Alclad very thin man many layers, since Alclad can be Agressive to Acrylic paint, but if sprayed thin and let it dry (alclad dries almost instantly) so it runs on very fine.

So the key is many layers but thin.

Took another pic on the Stang.

xqmm.jpg

/Mal

Allrigt, little more done to.

Drilled the holes on the plate thats is attached on the bottom engine cowling, ive seen others got real nice PE parts for that, but im going for whats in my box, off course little scratch, forgott to mention, the guns are replaced and made out off Brass tubes, and they are so much better than Tamiyas.

nvrn.jpg
8gb5.jpg

/Mal

Guest Peterpools

Mal

Nice work on the screens .. I  missed the guns - the new barrels look great.

Looking forward to your next update on adding the stripes and markings.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thx All.

Thx Oliver, the thing that works for me is that the primer should be black and glossy, many thin layers instead one thick, then the alclad, ive done tamiya silver to, but heavy diluted ro and thin layers,

So the key for me is thin layers and patience and alot of preperation, small surface error will be visible clearly if not prepared properly.

Those steps and you will do just fine ;).

Also Take a look on Peters stang Old Crow build, he got real great result on his metal finish its superb.

Mal

Allright as i promised, a smal update,

Started with the insignias on the fuselage.....The colors ive used is, preshading Tamiya German Grey, Then Tamiya Flat White, Then Vallejo Hells Angels Blue it got that perfect tone for that off blue thats a little bit unusal for insignia on this bird specific;) its lighter instead of that blue/black thats common ;)

Allright here we go......And those who have questions, feel free to ask ;)

And if they are not right i dont know ill go for this color anyway since i like it ;), its just a model ;)

uy8cq.jpg
wwv1.jpg
yhqa.jpg
7h4u.jpg
lsyj.JPG
avhk.jpg
p4sx.jpg
9p66.jpg
5h6m.JPG
hrnm.jpg

/Mal