Tamiya 1/32 F-15C MSIP Kadena # 0107 99% completed

ghatherly

Thanks Kev. I should mention in addition to the tamiya kit I also used parts from the following:

Flightpath Exhaust ( made to the correct length built on the Tamiya bases w/ Tamiya actuators)

Revell main wheels and main gear tires from F-15 D/E kit and other small parts

Revell F-4 Drop tanks (2)

Avionix MSIP cockpit set

Wolfpack MSIP II Instrument cover, panel, and airframe strengthening plates

Eduard F-15C interior, F-15C, F-15E seat, F-15E exterior, Misc other PE parts

Legend Seat

Zactomodels AIM-9X

Academy AIM-120c's

Academy f/a-18 small parts, HOTAS throttle, JHMCS sensor, other misc

MV products lights

Rhino intakes

Decals: Combo of Astra, 2Bobs, Sky, Tamiya, and painted Stencil squadron markings using Eduard and home made templates

Flightpath launch rails

Edited by ghatherly

Thanks guys. I am working on the wing pylons and the missiles right now. That is the 1% left to finish. I will try to get some better shots of of it for the 100% pics, but photography is not my thing, but I am learning.

Here are few more detail shots. The wheels are a hybrid of Revell outer wheels and tires matted to the Tamiya wheel assembly. This is a two night project by itself.

P6030040_zps14a22f65.jpg

The JFS is a triple walled brass tubing cut and added to give the affect of the real insulated wall on the exhaust. Screwed up the secal thought!

P6030026_zps9a50f9ab.jpg

This is blurry, but it gives you an idea of the likage I added. I wil get some better shots for later on.

P6030034_zps4bc3b1f2.jpg

P6030031_zpscc67393f.jpg

P6030025_zpsece43877.jpg

P6030024_zpsc6904058.jpg

P6030023_zpsdb2dbc6c.jpg

P6030012_zps9cb4eb93.jpg

JSF intake for the light Gray Eagles

P6030009_zps4f4e3918.jpg

P6030004_zpsff08f572.jpg

Edited by ghatherly

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments. I am including a couple of construction pictures here that show the engines in more detail. They are not just attaced to the back as the kit provides, but install similar to the real jet, with the fuselage flaps covering the rear engine collar. I completely remove the thick plastic in the back, thinning it out, and carefully cut each panel loose to make individual feathers. Because I build the FP exhaust on the plastic Kit base, I am able to leave a small lip for the feathers to rest on whem the engines are installed. Inside I build a cradle to hold the engine, but it is the one part I did not get a picture of...sorry.

P5180047_zpsfa60b4c9.jpg

models04012012002_zpsede46b87.jpg

models03302012025_zpsd08ae2e4.jpg

models03302012024_zps7286d568.jpg

So much of what I did on this build is not seen, so if anyone has any question, I am happy to answer them. I also want to thank everyone her who posts, as reading your posts over the last few years has been instrumental in me getting back into the hobby and building this bird.

Many Thanks to you all!!!!!

Edited by ghatherly

I also want to thank everyone her who posts, as reading your posts over the last few years has been instrumental in me getting back into the hobby and building this bird.

Many Thanks to you all!!!!!

You're welcome Gary. Good to have you here, and glad we could be of service.

Kev

Kev, Thanks again for the kind words. I was hit by a car 4 years ago and I have had a bunch of leg/knee and ankle fixes. Getting back into models has helped pass the time as there is only so much TV and internet to watch. What amazed me when I started looking at the model sites and all the neat stuff made now in the after market area. Now with 3D printers becoming affordable, who knows where the hobby will go.

MARU5137, Thanks for the support. My biggest problem is I am not a writter and a terrible photographer! Those engines are little kits in them selves, and the real issue is they are to long just like the Tamiya exhausts. This is why I came up with the idea of modifying the plastic base by basically cutting out just the outter ring and using it to support the PE. I then was able to shorten the peddles and bend them in a different location so thet come out correctly. I ened up making all sorts of little jigs to bend things to try and make them the same. I have some more ideas on how to improve the set for the next eagle build I plan to do down the road.

Getting back to pictures. I riveted the entire jet, and then blackened them so the subtly show through the paint. I cannot get that detail to show up on the comera, but I like the way it turned out in reality. My neice is a pro photographer, I am going to see if se can help me with this.

Anyow, Thanks for you kind words of encouragement. It really does mean a lot after spending 500+ hours to create something. Hope to have the pylons and weapons on this week.

Edited by ghatherly

Nice work, and welcome to LSP!

I can empathize with spending hundreds and hundreds of hrs (AND dollars!) on a project...................These guys at LSP are great..............just those little sincere words of encouragement mean the world to keep going on a huge project................

I built an SU-30 a couple years back that was very similar in scope, mods, AM, hrs and price tag, and it ALL adds up to a hellava project. Especially when your significant other and 95% of your family are basically just polite about your hobby when you are ultra passionate about it. :D Means a lot to have others who are as passionate about the hobby to check it out and give their approval.

Everyone here with very few exceptions are pleasant, helpful, knowledgeable and above all, great people and great modelers. I have been utterly amazed at the friends from around the world (literally) that I have made on LSP............and even MORE amazing is the outright quality of some of the modelers we have here..............blows my mind sometimes really.

Welcome aboard, and please continue to share your work. We LOVE pics at LSP!