Testors 1/48 Lockheed A-12 Oxcart (Updated)

danimalmagic

Well after just over two weeks pretty solid work she is now done, got to say I am happy with the result. Model is sprayed with Tamiya acrylics the same as the YF-12A.
I have another one on the shelf but that will be built as the standard SR-71, I do not think I have it in me to build 3 on trot, another year I think :-) There have been some real challenges along the way especially with the assembly and finish of the resin, but I cannot grumble about that, patience, hot water and plenty of Tea.
Model is depicted as an early A-12, very few decals, no national insignia, just a few pilot extraction decals around the canopy and that is it. I have included some example images.

Testors 1/48 SR-71 Kit.
Kiwi Resin A-12 Conversion
True details cockpit and seat, modified cockpit panel to suit the A-12
True Details Wheels.
Spare Afterburner Decals from the YF-12A

All finished with Tamiya Metallic Acrylics.

Nothing left other than a few pictures.

Regards
Danny Attree
102_4544.jpg102_4545.jpg102_4546.jpg102_4551.jpg102_4552.jpg102_4559.jpg
102_4565.jpg
8452902168_601fb39e07_z.jpg
a12_40-2.jpg
A12Cygnus-1.jpg

Edited by danimalmagic

Resin section glued in place to rear fuselage top and bottom, the A-12 like the YF-12 had a shorter tail section.
102_4433.jpg
102_4435.jpg
102_4429.jpg

One of my aims for this kit was to better represent the Q Bay, this is the area located behind the pilot that contains all the cameras etc. I managed to find the following images in my A-12 Flight Manual, this shows that there were two cameras, one on each side and slightly off set.
why_th1.gif
A-12CAMERA.jpg

102_4452.jpg
To try and save myself some heartbreak later I covered the glass on the inside with parts in the spares box and sealed with UPVA.
The reason for this is that I do not want them misting up when I add the copious amounts of super glue to seal the nose later.
102_4453.jpg
102_4454.jpg
102_4455.jpg

I toyed around with building the A-12 but stuck with the SR-71 simply because I couldn't find the resin conversion, (or any reference material). I see you've got both covered pretty well. I've taken on your tip for insulating the clear panels from SupaGlu vapor too.

That's awesome -- looks like it's from Naboo.

102_4565.jpg

8452902168_601fb39e07_z.jpg

In regards to the above picture, where is that?

Cheers

Dave

It is at the California Science Centre. As for the Naboo comment, when i saw the Phantom Menace i suspected that Mr Lucas liked the A-12 as well, no coincidence i am sure.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic