Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Good to see this one back on the bench.

Regards,

Thanks Kent! Glad to be finally getting on with it myself.

I think the first order of business is to determine whether the Verlinden cockpit can be used, so I'll start some test fitting and see if I can form a definite conclusion either way.

The Verlinden cockpit is designed for the Revell kit, and the rear bulkhead not only doesn't fit properly in the Trumpeter fuselage, but is also the wrong shape for the birdcage spine. I reckon a lot of the detail parts could be used (the seat looks especially good), but I'm wondering if I'm better off starting from scratch, rather than cannibalising the Verlinden set. Part of my mandate with this build is to return whatever I don't use, and I'm not sure it would be polite to return a butchered cockpit set...

Kev

Just mix it together with scratch and Verlinden.

I'll contact my AB and see if he's happy to have me butcher the Verlinden set, as it would definitely produce the best result.

Kev

Well, with a few days off over a long Easter weekend, I've managed to scrape together some build time, though I haven't really achieved all that much. I've been concentrating on getting the engine together, as it's one of the few areas of this project that isn't being replaced or heavily augmented with aftermarket parts. So, the progress so far:

bKbN3O.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but there's actually a large number of parts involved with the kit engine, and a great deal of clean-up on many of them too. I managed to break off one of the exhaust pipes while trying to deal with the seams on each one, so I gave up at that point. I plan to paint each section separately, and then bring them together at the end. I don't trust Trumpeter's colour call-outs though, so I'm still trying to determine what they should actually be. I'm also trying to work out where all the wiring should go, as I plan to pre-drill all the holes for it, but so far the kit parts don't really match photos all that well. Confusing!

I'm hoping to bring you at least one more update before the long weekend is over.

Kev

More progress! Still working on the engine. I drilled out some holes in the front cylinders for the spark plugs, then heat-stretched some cotton bud shafts to fill them:

37lcen.jpg

I also did a little bit of detailing up front:

fcuGWc.jpg

This section of the engine is not particularly accurate, and I haven't addressed most of those issues; I was really just trying to add a bit of visual interest.

Here's the main parts painted with Tamiya's AS12:

Qz5VV0.jpg

Here's the rear half fully assembled and painted:

AbaSV2.jpg

I'm still not certain how much of this area will be visible on the finished model, so I've left most of it alone. I'm thinking, though, that it'll be viewable through the open cowl flaps, so perhaps I should do a bit more work here.

The very front of the engine is where I've been putting most of my efforts. Here it is, fully painted and weathered:

jXq6Wg.jpg

The placard is from one of airscale's generic cockpit sets, and is not meant to be accurate, merely suggestive.

I was hoping to be able to show the engine fully wired up by now, but I've been having enormous difficulty with it. Prior to assembly and painting, I'd set out drilling holes in the distributor ring to accept wires at a later stage, but had to give up, as the target area to drill was too small to do it effectively. After ruining a couple of the locating points, I gave up.

I then decided that, if butt-joints were my only option, I'd try using stretched cotton bud shafts again, as they're very light and quite flexible. After spending hours stretching, cutting and attaching the stuff, I still wasn't happy - especially when I started inadvertently knocking many of them off! They also suffered from many variations in thickness and cross-section, so I ripped them all off, and will have to think about how best to proceed with the wiring from here. Maybe stretched sprue?

Kev

I've discovered, to my enormous frustration, that I've attached the reduction housing in the wrong orientation. :BANGHEAD2:  It's weird that Trumpeter's engineering actually allows the assembly to fit perfectly in the wrong orientation. It should be one of the base goals of kit engineering to make sure that can't happen. Still, I should have been more aware of the possibility, and headed it off at the pass. It's not a show-stopper, but I will have to modify how the engine assembly mates with the fuselage, so that I can turn it into the correct orientation (at the front, at least).

I really thought it was too early in the build for my usual major screw-up, so it's good to know I'm still capable of setting new benchmarks, even now.

Kev

Like Ron saysKev, you'll do ok. You have the talent.......Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv. But I keep thinking, if I had the talent, I wouldn't have screwed it up in the first place! Here's a photo to demonstrate the issue:

fvnY1Q.jpg

It seems that Trumpeter's locating tabs for the reduction housing/distributor ring assembly are spaced in perfect thirds, allowing you to install it in one of three orientations! The orientation of the rest of the engine to the fuselage is governed by the location lug at the rear, which you can see in situ in the following photo:

fJoDd6.jpg

By removing that lug, I should be able to rotate the entire engine assembly so that the front at least looks right. Heck, if I'm careful, I might even be able to replace the lug in a new location, which would allow me to still take advantage of its locating properties.

We shall see!

But first, I need to sort out the wiring...

Kev

Youll have that solved in no time

Yep, already have! Photos will come later. Right now though, I'm still having trouble getting the wiring done. Fixing the wires in place is proving quite a challenge, and so far I've only got two to stick! At this rate, it'll take me all week to finish it off. And, as I'm using 8 amp fuse wire, they'll have to be painted too! The fuse wire is silver-coloured, and from what I can gather, the ignition wires were either brown or black. I might need to get hold of some more appropriate material next time though, as the fuse wire is still a little stiff.

Kev