Tamyia P-51 Big Beautiful Doll

Aircav1980

I guess what I am really asking is does anyone have any recommendation for realistic looking exhaust stubs? I want something that looks like it has seen some combat. I am looking at the Alclad Exhaust manifold color but I was not sure if it was a primary color for the stubs or more of a weather after coat.

There are probably as many ways to do this as there are modellers, but I've only recently found an approach that's simple enough for me to reliably repeat and still gives good results. Basically, I airbrush the exhaust parts with Model Master Metalizer Burn Iron, and then give the result a liberal wash with Flory Models 'Rust'. It looks pretty horrible when the wash is freshly applied, but once it dries off you have a nicely variegated burnt iron look with a hint of random reddish discolouration. Best of all, since the wash is water-soluble, any excess can be tamed or removed completely with a moist cotton bud. I'll post a photo when I find one.

Kev

Just hoping on to give you guys an update. Everything has been going fairly smoothly. Have the engine bracing all in place. The gun bays and the wheel wells are finished. I think they turned out pretty well. They are mostly done by the letter to the instructions. I have only changed a few things. I have left off the front air intake and the exhaust stubs. I will put them on after the main painting is done. I have added a light wash to the wheel wells, gun bays, and engine bracing, and I did not like the fact that Tamiya wanted the ammo shell casings and bullet heads the same color. I mixed up my own shade of brass that I think turned out pretty well.

100_2934_zpsc9cf1e23.jpg

100_2897_zpse8c32481.jpg

100_2932_zpsa654cd25.jpg

100_2929_zpse897ad1c.jpg

I am debating whether to paint the radiator scoop separately or with the rest of the plane. It seems that everyone else has painted it attached to the plane but it looks like it would be very easy to miss stuff on top of the scoop when painting. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck with the decals. This model has multiple places were the eaglecal decals rest on seams of panels that move or can be removed after completion. Do you cut the decals before or after you place then? How you get them to line up?

Well here she is ready for decals. I put down Alclad gloss black base then used Alclad Aluminum for my natural metal finish. You cant really tell in the pictures but I laid down about 3 coats of the aluminum and noticed the black primer still showing through gave it a kind of dirty battle work look. I liked it so much I decided to keep it. I am going for a just landed after turning with the Luftwaffe look. I think it is turning out pretty well. I just have to tackle the decals now.

100_2941_zps5bf1de66.jpg

100_2943_zps448f1f91.jpg

The aluminium looks great.

I'm stuck with the decals. This model has multiple places were the eaglecal decals rest on seams of panels that move or can be removed after completion. Do you cut the decals before or after you place then? How you get them to line up?

I think applying the decals whole over the panels and then cut them with a new #11 blade when they are completely dry. Any surplus can either be stuck down around the edges of the panels or carefully sliced off. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Really, really great looking build! Kev's and "red baron's" A-36 stacks are exceptional examples IMHO. Something that you may not know, that has been surfacing as of late is the fact that the wings on the Mustang were puttied and painted silver. Its a very interesting debate all over the modeling community as to how it looked and how durable it was. Just food for thought on the next one.....we all know there will be one... :) Keep up the amazing work!

Wrench,

I have been following the debate about puttied wings. From what I have read the wings were puttied from the factory but after the plane sustained any time the plane had to be repainted for any reason they would strip the putty from the wings and rarely replace it. Taking that in to account as well as the fact the Tamiya kit has a lot of detail on the wings that would not be present if the wings were puttied, and the fact I am pretty new to airbrushing I decided to leave them natural metal. I really like how it turned out so far.

Thanks for the complements so far folks. I have never posted any work I have done like this and appreciate the encouragement.