F-4B Phantom II Cockpit: Update 04/18/15

Barry

Hi Barry,

Like the way you have used brass for the leg guards :thumbsup:, you just can't get plastic to look the same.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Yes after a lot of "teeth gnashing and hand wringing" I determined that was the only viable technique that would give the necessary detail on both sides of the part.

I am quite please with how they turned out. I plan to use the same technique in making the foot rests as they have raised detail on the upper section and depressed detail on the lower.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Short update for today finally jumped into the task of making the foot rests. I have to make a left and right; though they are shaped the same due to the turned up edge guards they are mirror images. I have them shaped but still need to get both to the same length. Once there I will use the same technique to create the raised and depressed stiffeners. Hopefully I will get that done between now and tomorrow.

P4180157_zpsz4bpdkr7.jpg

P4180159_zpskfmltqxf.jpg

P4180160_zpsxhxnxq2y.jpg

TAFK

Barry

Looking great Barry...you're on a roll!

For those foot rests, did you fold the metal over a mold to achieve those thin raised edges? Any special tools involved?

Rich

Rich, Thank you!

I marked my pattern onto the brass sheet + an additional +/- .025" (eye balled) then annealed to soften the metal. Using a PE folding tool.(Mission Models) I folded the additional up to form the raised edge. I taped them down to double sided tape and gently filled and sanded the up turned edges to the same height again using the "Mk 1 Eye Ball" method.

Barry

Edited by Barry

Working with the same approach and technique used on the "leg guards" I have added the recessed stiffeners to the lower section of the footrest  and raised ones to the upper section. The raised upper stiffeners do not photograph as well as the lower.

I believe that the upper are raised as there is a foot switch located on the inboard edge of each upper section just above the break between the upper and lower sections. This would place the RIO's foot at a height more conducive to getting onto the switch without getting tripped up on or kicking it too often. One switch in the ICS PTT and the other is the Radio PTT.

I still need to add the Dzuse fastener heads between the upper and lower as well as the three on the lower to floor edge. The upper end is fastened with bolts from what I can see in "the" photo I have.

P4190157_zpsyecbzzak.jpg

P4190158_zps60jy0eev.jpg

P4190162_zpsnpf6d3ci.jpg

P4190165_zpsfuyvlnwl.jpg

Thanks for checking in!

Barry

Edited by Barry

A couple of pics with the foot rest located in the cockpit. I think they "look" the part  :hmmm: more or less. I have about accomplished the real challenges just some tiding up to do now in the aft cockpit except for the Instrument Panel especially the forward side of it.then on to the front. It will not be "as" challenging as the aft with the Instrument Panel, Radar Indicator and Glare-shield being the biggest areas of concern. Tamiya IP is under sized making center Flight Instruments about 20% smaller than they should be. Revell IP is much, much closer in dimension than the Tamiya IP and will be the basic starting point.

P4190176_zps1hhf8xqh.jpg

P4190168_zpshlfvetub.jpg

Cheers...Phantoms Phorever!!

Barry

Masterful work on those rudder pedals Barry - I certainly could do no better myself.

Derek

Thanks Derek, As a reminder; just foot rest no rudder pedals in aft cp of Navy birds.

Barry

Edited by Barry

Thanks Derek, As a reminder; just foot rest no rudder pedals in aft cp of Navy birds.

Barry

Thanks for the reminder Barry - I have now corrected my post. This is a minature version of how they produce full size aircraft detail parts, so is impressive in 1/32 scale.

Derek