Trumpeter SU-25 (czech)

Stormer

• 3 weeks later...

So the cockpit is in and the fuselage halfs have come together.

To say the least, I'm not very impressed with myself here! Gaps are showing where the cockpittub meets the fuselage, but I hope most of it will be hidden when the armoured plate above the seat is in position...

The brownish color is supposed to show wear and tear at the cockpits entrypoint - hope it looks better when it has all come together.

su253003.jpg

The fuselage came together without using too much filler and the bird is really showing its size now!!

I built the gearbays OOB as 2/3 of the doors will be closed and not much will be seen afterwards. I used af 50/50 mix of Gunze rlm 02 and white for the basic color.

su253002.jpg

The front gearbay will also be closed up, so no extra detailing here either. I really don't know why I bothered painting the cannon and all? By the way, the cannon is NOT a sawed off shotgun... I cut the outer half of the barrels to make painting easier later on.

su253001.jpg

The next step will be mounting the landing gear and closing the gearbay doors. I've already glued the cover for the cannon in place. The fit is not so hot and i managed to f*** it up even more because I was being impatient (stupid is the right word though). Oh well, it's a tough looking bird, so a few minor gaps here and there is ok, huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry! I have indeed been busy. The wheelwells are closed up and the wings are on. The fit of the baydoors was, hmmm, less than perfect, but I'm sure a little paint and weathering will do the trick.

Photos will follow shortly...

does anyone make AM seamless intakes for this bad-boy?

I'm sure the answer to that question is no. However, Fishermodels makes a nice set of (slightly oversized) FOD covers that I intend to use. At least the front FOD cover seems too wide

sukhoilsp001.jpg

but the detail on the front looks nice

sukhoilsp002.jpg

The joints around the wheelwellcovers looks more crappy in the pictures than in real life

sukhoilsp004.jpg

The scratched look still looks out of scale, so I'll have to find a way to subdue it

sukhoilsp006.jpg

The wing joint is coming along nicely - having used a lot of Mr. Surfacer... The enginegondolas fit the fuselage very well. Only a little surfacer was used and then swiped away with nailpolish remover on a cottonbud

sukhoilsp003.jpg

Edited by Stormer

Nice outcome!

I figured as much on the intakes, as Ive been very interested in the UB Su but have not seen anything from Aires or the like on AM seamless intakes.

However, with the intakes being fairly straight and not that long (compared to a lot of other trunks), I think I will try the latex paint intake trunk method Ive seen used. Its a tad messy, but it normally works fairly well,

• 2 weeks later...

Nice outcome!

I figured as much on the intakes, as Ive been very interested in the UB Su but have not seen anything from Aires or the like on AM seamless intakes.

However, with the intakes being fairly straight and not that long (compared to a lot of other trunks), I think I will try the latex paint intake trunk method Ive seen used. Its a tad messy, but it normally works fairly well,

Nice outcome!

I am also buidling this bird, and if i can give you some idea, here is how i have proceeded in order to preserve as much as possible the rivets inside the intakes :

First i masked everywhere but the seams :

20121012_195115_zps8db10dcd.jpg

20121012_195051_zpsc2750e05.jpg

20121012_195036_zpsd3284008.jpg

Then i puttyed the seams with mr surfacer (or with thinned tamiya putty with acetone or mr color thinner) :

20121013_015209_zpse61adc05.jpg

Here with the tape removed (yes it is still dirty) :

20121013_015234_zpsd7bee4b7.jpg

20121013_015244_zps54d97e1a.jpg

Then with a cotton swab dipped in mr color thinner (or any lacquer thinner THAT DO NOT attack plastic), i wipe as much as possible the excess of putty in order to make it smooth, and then with some 600 and then 1000 sanding paper i wrapped arround a pen i gently sanded the seams, and then finished with micromesh 4000 still wrapped around the pen (for the round shape) :

20121014_164239_zpse59619c4.jpg

20121014_164236_zpsbb38ff85.jpg

20121014_164331_zps9488eb99.jpg

20121014_164304_zps13638ec0.jpg

I know this is not the perfect solution, but it is the only one i have found to have an acceptable result, if one want to let the intakes without FOD covers.

Hope it would help !

Edited by Zero77

Nice work so far. Espcially lover your pit.

I knew the trick you are showing, but somehow it never works for me... But the fact to do it inside like you are showing somehow never came up in my mind...

He stole my idea...haha

He stole my idea...haha

That's quite true, I must say it inspired me ! Thank you, by the way.

That's nice we are 3 people actually building a frogfoot. I think you 2 are better than me, and i can have good examples of how to manage to make this or make that. Maybe i could also inspire you with other stuff? We'll see.... (i have just started my buiding and still not making any topic about it...)

Sorry for not responding to the last couple of posts - I've been busy building :-)

I have decided against using the front FOD covers from Fisher (you guys should take a look at the size) and made some covers from Magic Sculpt. They are perhaps a bit thick, but I think they look quite OK considering I spent only about 20 minutes on both of them. Pictures will follow.

As for the rivet detail on the rear end I think Trumpeters will do.. they are not of the raised kind, but I think they will look great when the bird i painted an weathered