Trumpeter F-14D

SR10user

Just a few in process pics. I applied a wash of Payne's Gray using Winsor & Newton oils followed by a drybrushing. I've started to pick out a few details and of course I've glued in the Eduard placards. The hardest part was getting the adhesive off the backs. Luckily, the inks they use are resistant to lacquer thinner, so that made fairly quick work of the glue. The placards needed some trimming and adjusting to fit, since they are sized to fit on the kit parts. I've started to punch out some sheet styrene for the buttons, unfortunately my fine drill bits kept breaking as I tried to make the holes for the switches. I guess your not supposed to use those on metal. :hmmm: I'll have to figure out something for that, or find stronger teeny tiny drill bits.

e754baf8.jpg

edf2fa71.jpg

18e6f6b0.jpg

99012532.jpg

No where near done, but I do want to keep motivated, so I thought I'd share. Thanks for looking.

Dave

I like the pit good work so far.

How is the fit in to the feusalage ?

Mark

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I really appreciate them. As for the fit of the cockpit, I would say this set is the best fitting Aires cockpit that I have seen. there are gaps around the tops of the sills, but I think if you glue the sidewalls to the fuselage sides first most of those will be minimized. There is a small gap around the back deck as well, although smaller than the sidewall gaps. The Eduard set provides both cockpit sills and some edge pieces for the back deck though. You also need to remove the back deck points on the fuselage halves since the aires part extends further back into the fuselage. All in all I'm pretty happy so far. To be honest Mark, I hadn't thought that far ahead, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I taped up the pieces and took a few pics. I hope this answers your questions.

b3f3c3e8.jpg

c22e16a5.jpg

347fa41d.jpg

5090c191.jpg

d1115ca6.jpg

9f13f0d9.jpg

921a834a.jpg

The fuselage is pretty wide, so there is quite a bit of wiggle room until the glue is applied. I can squeeze the fuselage together, and the gaps close up a bit more. Once again, thanks for all the comments.

Dave

Time for a update. I received my Zots VF-2 Bounty Hunters decals today. The quality looks exceptional, and now I can't wait to get this done so I can use them. I'm planning on using the low-viz version, probably 106. The NFO's callsign is Donger! How could you not love that! :speak_cool:

1d32838a.jpg

Cockpit work continues. I've started on the side walls, and have got most of the buttons punched out for the rear cockpit. To be honest, it turned out better than I thought it would, given the fact that I feel I have sausage for fingers.My small drill bit broke and I haven't quite figured out what to do for the switches. Any ideas? My friend thinks just gluing them straight to the placard would be sufficient, I'm worried about the fragility of it all though. I've also got my Mike Grant instrument decals so I can finally fill in the big gray circle on the top left hand panel.

c5d888d1.jpg

aa5425b0.jpg

ba2fcec6.jpg

49b6182a.jpg

9ad01ed5.jpg

5e0fa1b9.jpg

I've decided that I can't go any further until I find a copy of the Daco F-14 Book. All the usual places are out of stock. I found a couple on Amazon, so thought will get ordered this weekend. I'm afraid I'll miss something very basic. My original thought was to just use the internet for reference, but I'm surprised that the F-14D isn't covered better. I'll work on the ordnance until the book comes in. I'm thinking of 2 AIM-9's, 1 AIM-54C, and a couple LGB's, although a TARPS loadout has crossed my mind too. Here's a few pics of the rear pit all taped up.

f99a5b2f.jpg

804d2318.jpg

a00e96f8.jpg

928d0bce.jpg

I like the look of Geedub's F-14 pit, so I'm thinking of repainting the canvas colors. Opinions, criticism, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Dave

Great work on the pit and yes the daco book is great,

I think for the swithes u can use some stiff wire,drill a small hole(if posible) and put a small piece of wire in to it,

m keep following this one,

Mark