Definitely Large Scale .. but not a Plane

A.Wolf Grant

WOW this thing must be very $$$$.$$$$$.$$$$

Errr ... it's not cheap Neo. Just don't tell the wife ! :whistle:

Very cool and unique build!

J

Thanks Jerry, it's been fun so far. As I said - it's a fairly simple bolt together kit but surprisingly satisfying with some nice touches - I didn't include pictures of the weapons tray under the driver's seat or the dashboard etc but I'll try and whizz some up later.

Ooo, shiny. Love that, Grant!

Sincerely,

Mark

"Shiny" ?? Bit of "Firefly" going on there Mark? a great TV series cancelled before it's prime. One of the nice things is that the manufacturers use the exact same paint as used by Aston Martin themselves - sadly I can't take credit for painting the body either!

Very nice work!

Thank you Bill, appreciate it.

Awsome looking build!

Thanks Gary, as I said .. it's been fun.

Grant,

WHOA BOY !!! I am so pleased that you posted the pics..What an OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT,STUNNING looking build so far... :m0152:

I ADORE IT...{ I have a framed photos of the car WITH the number plates JB 007 !!}

Your work is EXEMPLARY and SO NEAT....Keep us posted ..Thanks :party0023:

MARU...

MARU, as understated as ever :rofl: - Thanks, you share 50% of the blame for me burdening everyone with this :thumbsup: .

SHWEEEEEEET!

Now I cant get it out of my head......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8KvYKn9-0

Ah, Brian ... Isn't that one of, if not THE greatest film themes ever??

"Bond,... James Bond". I love it.

Thanks Kevin .... "So, Goldfinger - do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr Bond .... I expect you to DIE"

Once again, thanks everyone. I'll post more pictures as it comes together including some of the smaller details I left out.

Cheers

Grant.

Thank you for sharing this one Grant, when I first heard about these kits I couldn't wait to see one built. Looking forward to more of this one!

You're welcome Sir. I was only half joking about ordering the Zero part work kit (see here: http://www.model-space.com/gb/military/mitsubishi-a6m-zero/); I know it's a very expensive way of doing it but .... it's 1/16th for goodness sake!!! and, in the immortal words of Blackadder's minion, Baldric ... "I have a cunning plan :evil_laugh:"

Grant

Oh, I wish .. I can't remember what the original of this sold for last time but it was a fair few mill.

Thanks Dave.

Grant

Any DB5 runs for at least half a million, and Bond's semi-working one sold for somewhere around 4.5 million at auction.

It's a shame any Aston, even to restore, command such high prices. But I guess you pay for quality. My dream one day is to own and restore one of the late 60s/early 70s DBS/V8s

Matt

Very cool item this is!

Great conversation piece as well when you have people over!

The real DB5 actually sits close to where I live. At the Louwman museum close to The Hague.

http://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/asp/appmain.asp?appactie=news_04juli2012_bondcar&taalcd=nl

One of the finest museums in the Netherlands if you ask me.

Will be following this for sure.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Edited by jeroenpeters

Thanks Kevin .... "So, Goldfinger - do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr Bond .... I expect you to DIE"

Ah, one of the greatest quotes ever. And one of the best movie scenes, when 007 is in panic trying to save his 'jewels' from the giant laser... :lol:

There are often some very interesting subjects in these magazins, but 11,99 € each week, over more than 1 1/2 years, that is some big money...

It certainly looks like it but this is obviously not the makers web-site (theirs is here ... http://www.007db5.com/index.asp). Look at the price!!! I won't let he wife know ... she'll be making me sell it!!

Thanks for the link. it's expensive but when one thinks what one can spend on going out and drinking and for those that smoke, I don't think it is that bad of price. That's why I model as I don't drink or smoke. What's the paintwork like on the body parts?

Thanks for the link. it's expensive but when one thinks what one can spend on going out and drinking and for those that smoke, I don't think it is that bad of price. That's why I model as I don't drink or smoke. What's the paintwork like on the body parts?

Aha! No vices, just habits !

I've got to say that the paintwork is much better than I originally thought it would be. It's got a nice deep lustre to it with a nice high clear lacquer. The manufacturers ship the body components really well packaged in foam or bubble wrap with enough inserts etc to prevent damage or scratches. My one regret is that I didn't dip the windscreen or rear window in Future - I might still be able to do it if a carefully dismantle the rubber surround etc. Don't get me wrong, the plastics are perfectly clear but could always benefit from the additional effect that Future can provide.

It IS expensive without a doubt but, over the period of the build, the monthly instalments haven't been too onerous but that was the call I made as, at the end of the day, it'll look very nice on my shelf and provide a nice talking point as Jeroen said earlier.

BTW, the chassis which arrived yesterday means that I can crack on with more of the build so I'll put some more pictures up in the next couple of days, hopefully.

Grant

Edited by Obant

Very cool item this is!

Great conversation piece as well when you have people over!

The real DB5 actually sits close to where I live. At the Louwman museum close to The Hague.

http://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/asp/appmain.asp?appactie=news_04juli2012_bondcar&taalcd=nl

One of the finest museums in the Netherlands if you ask me.

Will be following this for sure.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Whoah, Jeroen ... I have GOT to visit that museum! Motor sport is one of my greatest loves and something I still get involved with with a team owned and run by a friend .. mostly 24h endurance racing at places like the Nurburgring, Silverstone, Dubai, Budapest and Spa Francorchamps; in fact we used to run an Aston Martin N24 which was pretty cool. I'm usually found sitting on the pit-wall doing the timing etc and chatting to the drivers via radio.

It'd be nice to see the DB5 having stared at it's 1/8th scale cousin for so many hours too.

Grant.

PS: BTW, don't bother with the BMW museum in Munich ... absolute rubbish I'm sad (and very surprised) to say.

A few years ago, I wanted to start hunting down some of the JB toy stuff I had owned as a kid, in particular, a DB5 and the attache case. While hunting for those items, I bought this to help identify what was what. Great stuff. I'm loving this car of yours.

Bond.jpg

(I never did buy either of the two items I was looking for,... yet.)

Ah, one of the greatest quotes ever. And one of the best movie scenes, when 007 is in panic trying to save his 'jewels' from the giant laser... :lol:

I think it's safe to say we'd all act the same way if there was a giant laser heading towards your jewels. :P

Sean Connery was the best Bond of all time, no question about it. Such a great actor, and really fit those roles perfectly.

Matt :party0023:

Grant thanks soooo much for posting up your build!!!! IMHO it wouldve been a crying shame not to share it here with us.

This thing is amazing!!

And I agree the finish on it is great, and I love all the detail.

Thanks again, I cant wait to see the progress as you go.

Congrats on your acquisition.......and your secret is safe with us.......