Airfix 1/24 Mustang IV

xmh53wrench

You could try some of the commercial rivet sets that are available. Off the top of my head I think there are some from Archer Transfers and HGW, and perhaps others. I've not used them myself, but I've seen them in action, and they seem to do the job admirably.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I saw those during my search, but figured I would have to disqualify myself for "the unauthorized use of aftermarket contraband, not pertaining to seat belts and decal sets"

but then....they are "kind of like decals" :evil_laugh:

Edited by xmh53wrench

Thanks Kev, I saw those during my search, but figured I would have to disqualify myself for "the unauthorized use of aftermarket contraband, not pertaining to seat belts and decal sets"

but then....they are "kind of like decals" :evil_laugh:

That's a good point actually, and if pushed I'd say they're just outside a strict interpretation of the rules. However, in keeping with the spirit of rule-bending to facilitate participation, I'd say if they're your best option, then go for it.

Kev

Well I will figure something out Kev, but I dont think I will be going the transfer route.

Well a bit done tonight. The instrument panel actually looks better than it photographed, IMO, I am going to try a few more times to get a better picture.

The IP is all OOB. Here is a pic of an actual -5NA IP and what comes in the kit. I brushed on the backside of the clear part a mix of Field Drab and Flat Black, I then dry brushed the front of the clear gauges with some light ivory. The outline of the "basic six' is just made by scraping the paint away with the sharp point of one of my files.

NA5915_FIG25_s.jpg

From what I gather this IP was short lived in the -5 series, and may have been left overs from the B/C models.

IMAG1420.jpg

And here is my instrument panel as well as a quick shot of a few other bits...

IMAG1418.jpg

IMAG1419.jpg

Wow, the conveyor belt's running again :thumbsup:

Excellent looking start on this one as always but what I really want to know is .... where did you get your paint rack/shelving ???

Cheers,

Grant

Edited by Obant

Wow, talented with sheet metal too! Thanks for that, I'm sure I haven't seen it before but ... if you ever decided to start making them on a commercial basis then I'd have one !! :clap2:

It's certainly a neat solution to keeping your paints etc organised; mine are all shoved ,right side up, into a plastic storage box.

Grant

Edited by Obant

You work so fast! Great work on a model that would be daunting to most others. If we think that storing 1/32 models is a problem, it must be a real concern for all of your 1/24 models?

D.

You work so fast! Great work on a model that would be daunting to most others. If we think that storing 1/32 models is a problem, it must be a real concern for all of your 1/24 models?

D.

LOL, I truly feel as tho this one is dragging on....soooooo much research, because I really want this to be my masterpiece of sorts. I guarantee this model has been 3 hours surfing the net and making notes to every 1 hour of holding a paint brush or gooping on some glue. As far as storing these planes....forethought is not one of my strong suits.....so I just build :doh:

Tiny update, not much done (see above) as I want to scratch build some of the structure in the tail gear well, and I am thinking there is something missing the the belly scoop exhaust area (a panel that goes from the top of the radiator aft to the aft end of the opening) so looking for "good" pics of those areas. And also getting together a game plan for the main spar and wheel well areas.

IMAG1434.jpg

Also not real sure on the color of that head rest......... :hmmm:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think I have a basic handle on the paint situation, when I get to that point (although I hope my techniques work as planned). And I also have a decent idea on some scratch building I have to do in the tail gear and radiator exhaust areas. So I am back on the "big girl" and first up is rectifying the dihedral in the wings and starting some scratch building of some wheel well and gun bay detail.

I have become a huge fan of this technique of attaching the wing tops to the fuselage sides, then after all the detailing is done and the fuselage halves are together, mating the wing underside to the rest of the airplane...

IMAG1519.jpg

And scratched a wing spar to give dihedral...

IMAG1520.jpg

The grandson is here for a week, and not only do I hope do get a bit done, under his watchful eye, but we have planned a trip into town to get him a little model of his own. :)

Well most of the parts are fabbed and somewhat fitted. My lightening holes in the tail gear well turned out to be wrong, but too lazy to make new pieces....DOH :doh:

This is what this area started out as, and is what the kit is too look like when built oob....

IMAG1489.jpg

And here is the dry fit of the same area with new plasticard panels.

IMAG1523.jpg

And opened up....should make a big difference when finished,

IMAG1526.jpg

Thanks Kev,

Well its all closed up.....hope I didnt forget anything....

I have left the engine area loose as I am going to be working on the main landing gear wells and figure the engine would be in the way. Alot of the work I just did is hidden, but will show with a close inspection, besides it was nice researching and figuring some of this stuff out.

A few cockpit views. Still have to add the fuselage tank gauge, battery and radio.

IMAG1534.jpg

IMAG1533.jpg

IMAG1531.jpg

IMAG1536.jpg

And a view of the tail and belly scoop exhaust area.

IMAG1529.jpg

Well, I am going to let is sit for a few days and get good and dry. I am still on the fence on lowering the flaps. I had considered putting it on a stand as if it were taking off with the gear in transition, but then I remembered I have already shortened the struts to simulate weight on them. So I guess it will stay earth bound. I am going to put the 750 gal tanks that were included in the kit.