Airfix 1/24 Mustang IV

xmh53wrench

Guest Peterpools

One tough project going from a P-51D to a P-51B.

Paul Budzik's conversion is also one of the features in Kalmback's book: Classic Combat Aircraft of WWll Vol ll

yhst-22106725251441_2222_343625374AA.jpg

Photo: Kalmbackbookstore.com

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

There's another option. There's a 1/24th P-51B paper model out there. Get hold of one of these and substitute paper with plastic card stock. I've seen it done for an XF-5U "flapjack"

That was done right here by our dear, late friend Russ. He sent me a copy of the paper kit and plans he used. I must give it a bash one day...

Kev

That was done right here by our dear, late friend Russ. He sent me a copy of the paper kit and plans he used. I must give it a bash one day...

Kev

That's right, Kev.

Don't think I ever saw the finished product.

It was a great idea and a good build and thread. Sorry to hear he passed.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Well after avoiding this build for a while, I am back on it. Here is my accomplishment for this morning. A bit of planning and drawing of the wheel well bulkheads, and fabbing them out of cardstock.

IMAG1738.jpg

And fitting them in preparation for glueing them in place

IMAG1741.jpg

IMAG1740.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Well did a bit more as of late.

Installed the formers in the wheel wells, and repainted the area. But Im not to keen on how bright the silver came out, so I have to figure out a way to tone the area down a bit. Then add a tiny bit of plumbing and some painted alum wire for wire harness. Then on to the gun bays so I can button up the wing.

IMAG1844.jpg

IMAG1849.jpg

At this point I think I am going to leave the formers natural, and just go with the spar yzc. Same with gun bays, but I will go ahead and yzc the access door interiors.

I also rectified another error in the kit with the regard to the scoop, this time in the air intake side. The kit comes with a molded in radiatorish looking block off just behind the intake. But infact (near as I can tell anyway) The scoop is open clear back to the oil cooler and the rest of the doghouse. So I removed the block off, and built a open box to close off the oil cooler exhaust duct and flap, so when viewing in from the intake you see an open area and the oil cooler. (if that makes any sense)

before

IMAG1846.jpg

and after with the little box that goes over the oil cooler exhaust.

IMAG1847.jpg

Hope to keep chipping away at this bird, I really want it to be done soon.

On another note, does any of the Mustang gurus out there know why it seems that there was a practice of removing the exhaust shields durring WWII? Maintenance, weather, performance, any other reason????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So.....this kit is sitting on the shelf, just kinda minding its own business. Looks a bit on the sulky side, as it has to watch the Squadron putty dust fly, and the pile of scrap cardstock grow with the "Precious Metal" build going on. But that doesnt mean its being completely ignored. The dilema for a paint scheme continues.

In the 1/24 in-progress and plans for the stash pile are:

in-progress-

"Jan" NMF red nose of 334th FS

"Precious Metal" Racer, Polished NMF with yellow and black lettering

in-the-stash-

"Bardhal Special" Racer White with yellow and black lettering

and 2 more 1/24 Airfix Mustangs, (one possibly the daunting task of a "B" conversion, and the other possibly a Black Racer "Habu")

So what my "collection" is lacking is a right proper Mustang MkIV of the RAF. I have the kit decals for 442 Sq, Y2-T KH668, so that would make things easy.

But since when have I ever been proper or easy......(wait dont ask SWMBO that).....?

And then I found this....

9_46.jpg

web-find Wings Palette http://wp.scn.ru/

How sexy is that???? Although after some research its seems this is a "never was" paint scheme for the chaps across the pond.

What ya guys think....I know "its my model" yada yada yada, just curious if there is any of you folks out there that are as titilated by this scheme as I?

Near as I can tell I shouldnt have to change much of anything on this build to make this WHIF paint scheme work, short of repainting the spinner.

Thanks guys. :hmmm:

Guest Peterpools

For toning down the formers and wheel wells, how about using Floquil old silver and cut it with reefer gray? Should work nicely.

Peter

For toning down the formers and wheel wells, how about using Floquil old silver and cut it with reefer gray? Should work nicely.

Peter

Thanks for the tip Peter, actually, I just misted some Testors Dullcoat over them, and seem to do the trick.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by xmh53wrench