Another Gotha.. ressurected 11-12-12

ladder4boy

Hello all.. Finally got a chance after the first of the year to dive headlong into this. Will be a Siemens Schuckert built version in the overall polygonal camo. Should make for a good bit of fun with the masking tape. Got the Ray Rimell and Harry Woodman book for help, Bob's buckles, and i ordered Master Barrels for the Parabellums. So far, fit has been beyond exceptional. Have the cockpit parts all cut out and ready for wood graining, and i've spent most of my time detailing the engines. I'm planning on leaving the starboard nacelle open to show one full engine off, but most of the engine is still visible through the big hole in the back of the nacelle cowl.

Progress thus far...

DSCN3360.jpg

manifolds wrapped with 1mm tamiya tape and then slathered with mr. surfacer 500 to simulate asbestos lagging.

DSCN3378.jpg

DSCN3379.jpg

DSCN3381.jpg

molded springs cut off and replaced with wire wrapped with lead solder.. also added plug wires, leads, etc... the loose wires will be cut to length for the distributor after painting.

DSCN3384.jpg

building the nacelles is a bit tricky. I diverted from the instructions and the recommendations in the Rimell book and installed the fuel tanks first, parts A33 and A34 under the wing second, then the front firewall. This helps get the front firewall right. Then i used the handrails (parts D30 and D39) to get the back wall in place relative to the front wall. Basically, cut all the parts out for step 10 and dryfit everything together to make sure everything is right because apparently if will affect the fit of the V-struts into the upper wing. Everything fits together extremely well tho, so if it all fits spot on, it's right.

DSCN3383.jpg

Hoping to get some paint on tonight and get the engines finished up. Hoping to keep the momentum up on this one as i've got a bunch of work-related work to do and real life stuff in the way. My new years resolution was to finish up a bunch of stuff i've started, so it'll be this, the p-51, the dauntless, the f-18, the 2 f-4's, uhm.. the ju-88, the 110 c-7, and the Scharnhorst... plus the three or four tanks i've been tinkering with.. oh, and the two flak vehicles i started. Unless, y'know, i get bored and start something new..

Cheers all, and thanks for looking.

Jerry

Edited by ladder4boy

Thanks kevin. Forgot to mention i'm building Kempf's DR1 along with this so i'm gonna be reviewing your build for reference!

do335b6...i used lead solder .015 for the plug leads and the springs and i used .01 steel wire for the front of the engine. heated it up and let it air cool so it would bend nice, then re-heated and dunked it in water when i had it like i wanted it to temper it. The wire for the distributor is 32 guage copper. i used some .5 by 3mm tubing from bobs buckles for the spark plugs and leads for the wire. works well because you can paint the wire before you attach it permanently. I used some .3mm rivets on the other side of the cylinders to blank out the holes. Got some paint on the engine tonight and i'm gonna try to get them finished up tomorrow.

There are a few subtle differences between the Gotha manufactured G IV's and the SSW ones.. mostly visible is the different rudder profile and fairings on the rear of the landing gear struts. May try to tackle that next and then start painting up the cockpit Wednesday night if all goes well.

thanks for lookin'

cheers,

Jerry

Edited by ladder4boy

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement guys! Small update as i got the engines painted and put together. Need to clear coat them and weather a bit more with some washes then maybe a bit more dry brushing. looks better in person due to crappy lighting and crappy picture takin' skills on my part..

Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

followed reference pics as best as i could per the wiring and such.. the rest i'm borrowing Kevin's "artistic license" license for. Hope to get the nacelles finished up and painted and the cockpit wood grained and painted and some more progress pics by Sunday. any and all critiques and criticisms are more than welcome and appreciated!

Cheers,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

small update here.. lot's of work to do on this thing and not much time to do it lately. finally got some wood graining done on the interior so i can start putting stuff together. Was just looking for an opinion as to how it looks from you guys before i start detail painting around it. This is my first attempt at graining and think i got the "look" of it without the grain being too "in your face"..

sorry for the crappy pic quality..

DSCN3391.jpg

DSCN3392.jpg

what do you guys think? good to go or not?

Cheers,

jerry

Excellent! I love the shading. Still haven't gotten the gumption to start my Gotha. Deep in the rigging of the FE-2 right now, so it's good practice!

Keep up the great work!

Tim W.

Thanks Tim and Harv.. You're FE-2 is just awesome Tim! (so's your p-38 Harv!) It's a great little kit. Had kind of a happy accident with this. Seems my burnt umber oil paint is old and rather thick, so after i brushed it on kind of heavy, i used a sponge to remove some of it, but i drug a pretty stiff brush over the remainder and it left some nice, thin, plywood lookin' lines. The only downside is that i did that 3 days ago and it's still not completely dry. I'll probably leave it alone till next weekend and then add the interior rigging wires and clear coat it for a light oil wash. I painted the base color xf59 as per wingnuts hints and tips page, but i went back and pre-shaded with a light mix of flat black/dark earth around the structural members and lines in the floor and stuff. I also went ahead and glued the side pieces to the fuselage so they'd have a good glue surface before painting. Makes it a bit more difficult to paint the wood grain and stuff, but i was afraid of them popping off if i tried to glue over all that oil paint. For the interior rigging i'm using some 25lb stainless steel wire fishing leader, which happens to be just the perfect diameter to fit inside Bob's buckles tubing, so i'll just glue that to the fuse sides when she's all dry. don't know if i'll try it for the wing rigging tho... think i'll need something more adjustable. Going to start working on a bunch of other pre-assemblies this week if i get some time... mostly the undercarraige and bombs and racks and stuff. I stuck the bottomw wings into the ceter section to check for fit earlier and the wingspan on this puppy is quite impressive. if i get the gumption this week i'll tape my he-111 back together and do a wingspan comparison for you guys.

This kit takes a lot of pre-planning and prep work. As far as fit/finish/mind-blowing technological innovation i'd rank it above the new Tamiya kits, but it takes a good bit more "some modeling skill needed" than those kits... mostly in the areas of patience and more patience. the only downside i see to this kit is that now i want a FE 2b, a couple of Albatrosses, a Hansel-and-Gretelburg, a D VII, etc...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Cheers all

Jerry