PCM Hurricane

jeroenpeters

Thnx guys!

Here's what I whipped up tonight. The trim stabilizers.

Made them from some plastic strip. They consist of two bended arms, supported by two.... well.... support strips.

I made the weights from drops of glue.

Next up are the wires that are connected to the arms and disappear pin the holes I drilled. Rudder almost done.

Cheers,

Jeroen

hurricane15.jpg

like this:

hurricane10.jpg

Edited by jeroenpeters

Looking good Jeroen,

I did something similar for my rudder trim balance, only using some flattened wire with glue on the ends. I would recommend leaving the control cable wires off until the end, especially if you are still planning to do Mould's (or any other BoF Hurri) as they might get damaged or gunked up with paint when you have to paint the red/white/blue stripes on the rudder :)

Looking forward to more!

Doug

Edited by DougN

Hi Doug,

That sure is a good idea! :rolleyes:

A bit more progress on the pit. You could go all out in here, but I'm not going to.

Added some wires. Still need to add some texts and placards and then it's time to close her up!

Cheers,

Jeroen

hurricane16.jpg

hurricane17.jpg

Very nice work Jeroen, these frame work cockpits really bring home how very basic but incredibly effective the Hurricane was.

Incidentally, I was given a copy of Alan Bramson's official biography of Sir Tommy Sopwith called "Pure Luck" for Christmas. The reason I mention this is I'm reminded that it was his foresight and disbelief in the then governments stance on whether another war was inevitable that he personally funded the cost of a squadron of Hurricanes be built and delivered to the RAF before ordered by the Air Ministry - it helped that he owned Hawker Aircraft of course.

The book is out of print now but if you can track it down (I know Amazon were advertising one or two) I would STRONGLY recommend it to any one with a liking for history and aviation. A truly extraordinary man.

Cheers

Grant.

PS: Just checked Amazon, they've got quite a few used used paperback and hard back copies, certainly more than I thought originally.

Edited by Obant

NitPik...that little handle above the leather pouch should be silver.

cockpitdoor.jpg

hth

Hi Mike,

Indeed. But what I noticed are several variations. The most common seems to be a green lever with a silver knob. Sometimes all silver and in the Squadron Signal book it clearly states that the lever was red.

In the owners workshop manual it's even painted yellow with black stripes (or black with yellow stripes).

In this case I followed Radu Brinzans amazing build and painted it red. It does add some color to the pit :rolleyes:

Same as with the leather pouch. Sometimes it was placed next to the map compartment and sometimes on.

However, I do believe a green lever with a silver know was the most common practice. Thnx.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Nice pit

Can you explain how you did the cowl fasteners. I always struggle with that.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I simply scraped them off with a sharp blade and used an old fine brush by burning out the hairs and using the small rim to push in the circles.

Then used a blunt needle to press in the eyes in the middle. Crude but effective :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hi harv, thnx! Since i'm more of a luftwaffe buff i needed to restock my RAF gunze colors. Mission accomplshed. Today i got a whole bucketload. Good for a tam spit and mdc typhoon waiting in line. Cheers, jeroen

Can't wait to see some paint smeared! Good luck......Harv :thumbsup: