what's the best P-47 kit?

richdlc

Some nice examples there.

Personally I can't be bothered playing around with this teeny 1/32 stuff.

Vintage Fighter Series 1/24 jobs are where its at if you want big jugs!

Phil :speak_cool:

Some nice examples there.

Personally I can't be bothered playing around with this teeny 1/32 stuff.

Vintage Fighter Series 1/24 jobs are where its at if you want big jugs!

Phil :speak_cool:

LoL..............you said:

big jugs

I know.

Well someone had to! :evil_laugh:

Wouldn't be a proper Thunderbolt thread without the traditional

reference to its nickname and the innuendo that goes with it.

Nice to have a bit of humour now and then eh mate??? ;)

That is exactly what I am planning. Ive done some research and it does not appear to be NEARLY as much work to cut the spine off the Revell kit, cut a similarly sized opening in the trumpy bubbletop and mate the two.

ah, that makes more sense financially - revell razorback spine on hasegawa bubbletop body - I'm sure you could source the more accurate trumpy canopy & windshield from trumpeter themselves (I'm guessing they have parts replacement service)??

time for an ignorant question - no-one has mentioned any other changes - is the razorback bit the only difference between that model and the bubbletop model?

thanks

*edit*

i just mailed Stevens Hobby in NJ about replacement parts as google recommended them as importers of Trumpy stuff in the US. Also mailed Squadron

will post updates re: outcome

ohh welll

i agree with Mr Sherland pretty much all up

both havve thier plusses and minuses - the hasegawa kit ha not rivets - the trump has them - i dont like to do my own riveting and they are restrained

The trump fuselage is a bit "fuller" than the hase kit - i am still not sure which is better

The hase cowling is a pain but easy to get over

the trump lit is overdetailed in some parts so not good for a quick build

i would not bother cutting off spines etc - too much bovver for a kit that isnt that bad to warrant that i think

I think the worst part of the trump jug is the bad canopy/windshield issue which is very hard to fix - the razorback on the other hand is not burdened by this problem.

have fun

hmmmm....squadron email address doesn't seem to be working at all :rolleyes:

a nice lady at stevens hobby got back to me about replacement trumpeter canopies - yes you can get replacement parts, but you have to have bought the kit from stevens hobby, and you have to prove it... :closedeyes: so no purchasing bits from trumpeter it seems...

oh my god! well that settles it - 1/24 & a mammoth scratchbuilding session! :speak_cool:

See... I wonder if the scale is a little off with the Hasegawa Kit. A friend gave me a canopy from his Hasegawa and I compared it with both the Revell and Trumpeter. Odd thing is that the Revell and Trumpeter are almost interchangeable (in size only the detail are planets apart). The Hasegawa, however (it's gorgeous in its design), is a smidge smaller in width and length and height could it be an inch to mm conversion issue...What the Hey?

I think part of the problem here is we are all interchanging different kit manufacturers, and interchanging bubble top canopies with razorback ones.

Because the Trump bubble top is known to have canopy issues............as WELL as the Revell razorback having canopy issues. I have never been aware of anyone at anytime having any accuracy issues with the Has bubble top canopy.

If comparing a Has kit to any others it would have to be compared to another bubble top.........however I thought this discussion was more about the razorback.

For me the only thing that looks accurate to me on the Trump razor is the canopy. Again each to their own but I had the kit and sold it the very next day.

For me, after doing a LOT of research on the process, cutting off the spine and grafting it to the has bubble top as Larry did is the way to go and is not going to require a single thing out of the scope of any good modeler IMHO.

I just realized I have the squadron razorback vac canopy, so Im good to go for the Revellagawa conversion. There are no other options for me, unless Hasagawa comes out with a razorback, as IMHO the Trumpy razor is a very big no go.

Brian

I have two of the Trumpy Razors, will build both of them, and will probably love the results. For me, the issues are vastly irrelevant (and I am a Jug FANATIC).

Every build of the Trumpy Razor I've seen here on LSP has looked the part in spades to me, to each his own I guess. If anyone has any of these kits that they want to part with now, please let me know, I've got a lot of Razor schemes to do!

:)