Titanic model question

LSP_K2

After securing permission from the staff, I have a ship model question. Is the old Minicraft Titanic (kit #1405), really worth building, or should I seek the retooled kit #11312 or 11315? (Kit #11315 is just kit #11312 which has some added P.E. if I understand correctly.)

Thanks fellas. (I really want to get on with this, but recently discovered that kit I have is the older, less accurate version.) :( I've already figured out a way (I think), to create a good looking iceberg.

Hello Kevin

I'd say the latest release is a marked improvement. I can recommend :

The Titanic Research and Modelling association where somewhere you'll find infos about models.

The Rivet Counter, where you'll find everything and more on modelling the Titanic.

I need to check which one I have (the old one I believe) in my ever-growing stash. If you want the full suite of Tom's Modelworks PE set, PM me. I'm sure we can find a deal as I am not going to build this one...

Now if you ask me, the Gomix 1/200 card model will probably produce a better looking ship than the Entex/Academy one...which is why I'll never build the plastic 1/350v version, as I got the acrd one recently.

Hubert.

PS: for a book-buff like you, I cannot recommend enough Bruce Beverige's two tomes on the mighty Titanic. A sum in all meanings of the expression.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hello Kevin

I'd say the latest release is a marked improvement. I can recommend :

The Titanic Research and Modelling association where somewhere you'll find infos about models.

The Rivet Counter, where you'll find everything and more on modelling the Titanic.

I need to check which one I have (the old one I believe) in my ever-growing stash. If you want the full suite of Tom's Modelworks PE set, PM me. I'm sure we can find a deal as I am not going to build this one...

Now if you ask me, the Gomix 1/200 card model will probably produce a better looking ship than the Entex/Academy one...which is why I'll never build the plastic 1/350v version, as I got the acrd one recently.

Hubert.

PS: for a book-buff like you, I cannot recommend enough Bruce Beverige's two tomes on the mighty Titanic. A sum in all meanings of the expression.

That's kind of what I thought I'd hear;... thanks Hubert. I already belong to the first site you mentioned, but haven't been able to post any new questions there yet. Been to the other site as well. (Google is wonderful!)

I have two of the Tom's sets already, but I'll certainly PM you about the others; there are five alltogether I believe.

As to the books, I already had them in my Amazon watch/want list, along with several others. I just saw volume one listed on fleabay yesterday for $40 and change, so I might just buy it this afternoon, otherwise at $50 per, I'll probably have to wait.

Thanks a bunch,

Looks like I'm in business; just bought kit #11315 on fleabay. Looks like I'll be depicting this vessel underway, headed toward the iceberg; I won't have so many people to worry about out on the decks that way.

Edited by Typhoonattack1

After securing permission from the staff, I have a ship model question. Is the old Minicraft Titanic (kit #1405), really worth building, or should I seek the retooled kit #11312 or 11315? (Kit #11315 is just kit #11312 which has some added P.E. if I understand correctly.)

Thanks fellas. (I really want to get on with this, but recently discovered that kit I have is the older, less accurate version.) :( I've already figured out a way (I think), to create a good looking iceberg.

Here's a link to the reissued kits instructions. I would go for the newer version and it does buld up into a really nice model with some photo etch added etc.

http://rivetcounter.txc.net.au/Instructions/Titanic_Instructions_Rerelease/Titanic_PreRR.html

Here's a link to the reissued kits instructions. I would go for the newer version and it does buld up into a really nice model with some photo etch added etc.

http://rivetcounter....anic_PreRR.html

Thanks but I already bought the latest version, kit #11315, a few days ago. I bid on one on the bay that had a reasonable starting price,... and won it! In the meanwhile, I've started chopping up the first kit to do a smallish vignette. (Model had been worked on by previous owner, so I'm redoing most of it.)

Down1001.jpg

Just a thought.

Has anyone come out with a kit of the iceberg?

Stephen :rolleyes:

Not that I’m aware of, but it should be a snap. I already figured out a super easy way to do it. Here’s an example. There will be others!

Down20012.jpg