Belgian 'fabric wing' Hurricane Mk1...

Erwin

Erwin, Damn nice!!! Glad to see you bustin loose! the wing is great,and I applaud your effort(s). also lost in the shuffle: nice job on the prop!

What now? Zimmerit???????? :D

cheers to you mike in calif

Looking very good Erwin. Only the most fastidious would pick fault with your fabric effect - well done. I am sure that it will look most convincing once it has been fully finished. :D

Regards

Derek

Hi Erwin

REALLY nice work. I want to do the same to a Revell 1/32 Hurricane one day (Aussie pilot flew one in France.)

I reckon that fabric look is spot on from the pics. Remember, the fabric was well and truely doped, so it had a SMOOTH finish. The roughened finish of the kits we see is very debatable! Just go and look at a Tiger Moth, or some such fabric covered biplane - SMOOTH finish. The fabric texture is not visible.

Keep at it mate - great job.

PR

Hi, Erwin

the effect of the fabric is really great. I do not agree with those affirming that the fabric is taut between ribs, and it is completely false that the fabric balloons in flight: in flight the fabric covered surfaces have always the rib standing proud and the fabric forming a "valley": I thnk this has something to do with the pressure. We had five fabric covered ancient warbirds restored here and the fabric remained taut only until we doped the aircraft: the dope made the fabric pulling itself between the ribs.

I look forward to see your huricane finished.

Two fellow modelers from here attended the Antwerp convention last week.

regards

er me

Hello all,

I must say that I'm overcome with all these positive replys. Thanks. It's feels good to be apriciated by other modelers far better than myself.

I hope I won't let you all down with the endresult :D

Hey Erwin, you aren't letting anyone down!! Let's take a worst case scenario - the Hurrybird turns into a melted lump of plastic. Haven't you learnt something out of this? You have a lot more skill as a modeller than you thought, haven't you? Doesn't this give you more confidence to tackle something else, perhaps a little MORE of a STRETCH for your skills? And it certainly has helped all of us LSPers too! It gives us ideas about our own projects - you set of little lights in our noggins (sorry - heads) about what we could be doing, and how we could do it, and you help inspire us to give it a go. One of the great things about this forum is that it provides encouragement for us to start projects - atleast, that's how it seems from the posts here. So well done on what you have achieved to date! I hope it goes well to the end for you, but don't underestimate what you have already achieved.

PR

Hi all,

I need some advice on the color 'silver dope'.

It seems the Belgian Mk1's were doped on the underside. What jar should I use from the Humbroll range ?

Or is that a mix of light gray with silver ? Or a matt silver ?

I'm a bit confused on the correctnes of that color stated in my color profiles book. Earlier on it says the Belgian Mk1's were painted RAF camouflage.

Then the underside should be 'sky' and not silver dope . :lol:

Any comments on what is correct .

actually l use something different than humbrol linen. l find it too yellow. on my WWI planes l use model master radome tan. its a light sandy colour that makes for a more realitisitic linen. Here l will send you pic of an underside of a RE8 l have been working on off and on. :lol: its hard to say but weather it was silver or grey depends. :P :lol: good luck

hacker B) :P

post-4-1098546590.jpg

yeah erwin l hear u on the painting part. My stuka is almost ready to meet mr paint but there are still some last minute things to attach and to check over before l am willing to commit it to paint :lol:

hacker :P :lol:

Hi Erwin

Great job on the wing Bud.

You wrote "I'm a bit confused on the correctnes of that color stated in my color profiles book. Earlier on it says the Belgian Mk1's were painted RAF camouflage.

Then the underside should be 'sky' and not silver dope".

This is a case of the early Hurricanes and Spitfire (DK Green/DK Earth) being in Silver dope undersides. Then during operation in France (RAF Spitfires n/a) the pilots deemed the colours too easy to see so.... Painted the undersides Light Blue and Black or Silver one side Black other or Black/white, all white all Blue. The Belgin Hurricanes would amost have certainly been Silver undersides. Humbrol NO: 11 looks great Erwin. On a side note France had "some" Spitfires but were captured.

Keep them pics coming.

Denie

This is a case of the early Hurricanes and Spitfire (DK Green/DK Earth)  being in Silver dope undersides.The Belgian Hurricanes would amost have  certainly been Silver undersides.

Hi Denie,

That was my idea too.I don't think the Belgians had the time to repaint the planes.

All but one were distroyed on the ground in a bombing raid on the airfield at Schaffen. The one that did take of was rapidly shot down by 109 's.

Silver dope it will be.

But I'm not sure if I will use nr 11 staight from the jar. Doping fabric looks to me to be a 'matt' finish.

I will add some matt varnish to flatten it, and practice a bit before painting the underside.

BTW,the underside ribs are sanded down a bit more. In the earlier pic they looked to thick.It's better now.

Silver dope was very common for all British fabric planes until the first bullets started flying in WWII and the RAF to a fairly deliberate approach to changing colours. Sky Type S paint didn't start appearing until late 1940 and wasn't being applied to all day aircraft until late into the Battle of Britain. Supplies were small and don't forget that the first aircraft in this colour were Blenheims and it was full on gloss paint, not semi-gloss or matte.

Hurricane manufacturers were notorious for getting paint instructions wrong. When the RAF ordered that all under surfaces be in black and white except the control surfaces, Gloster and Hawker both interpreted this in very different ways. Gloster also used up pre-war stocks of roundel paints before switching over to dull colours, Ian Gleeds Hurricane in 87 Squadron is generally recognised as having bright colour roundels on the fuselage and possibly even under the wings, with only the fuselage roundels being in dull colours because they had changed the format after issuing the aircraft to the Squadron. His hurricane had come from Glosters.

Don't get hung up on Sky! You're going great guns Erwin, best kit you've ever done mate!

Sorry to hi-jack your post Erwin, but...WOW, hey Vernon, that stuff on Gleed sounds really interesting. How were you aware of this one?

My understanding of the early war markings is that the roundels were usually finished with quite a bright red centre.

Also, once the aluminium, aluminium/black, and black/white undersurface thing was sorted, that the undersurface blue could be just about anything from a very pale blue to a very pale blue-green before "Sky" became standard.

Interesting point about the "gloss" for the initial paint jobs. Was this a general thing, or just applicable to a particular factory or manufacturer for a while?

PR

Sorry to hi-jack your post Erwin

Hi Pete ,

No problem.This is a forum for all.And if we can lurn from eachothers comments then we must ' hi-jack' a post

I got another question. Did the fabric Mk1's have red gunports ?

I've seen a lot of fabric Mk1's without the red. Any comments ?

BTW,this is how the wing looks up close.

post-4-1098696670.jpg