AM Decals for Tamiya Spit Mk XVI

LSP_Ron

I picked this kit up today and might start it right away.

I've been surfing around looking for alternative decals and haven't found anything.

Are there any options available yet? I'd really like to do it in silver. I have enough green/grey Spits on the shelf as it is.

On a different note, were most Mk XVI's clipped wing?

There's three sheets from LifeLike http://www16.ocn.ne.jp/~lifelike/ one from Dutch Decals http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DD32011 two from Alley Cat http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/alley-cat-decals-132-scale-310-c.asp and of course you could always get some custom masks made like I did for this French 340 Sqn plane in the profile posted by Antoine http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55917 There was also the decals which came with the Cammett conversion for the PCM Kit http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=23230

Thanks for the list, I didn't know the Lifelike Decals were available in 1/32 as well! The one I want to do is on their Sheet #2. Now to find it in Canada...I guess I could order it!

Thank again!

Richard

Thanks! Masks, that's the ticket.

I am thinking this maybe the plane to do. The first time I visited Duxford I heard the sound of a Merlin so I went outside just in time to see this plane on final and land. I think that might have been the first airborne Spitty I've seen? It took off about an hour later, and so did I (in my rental car)... to London.

SpitfireTd248Flying9oClock.jpg

If you do not hurry, Kagero's MiniTopcolors 24 devoted to Spitfire Mk XVI will be released in early June or maybe a bit earlier.

beztytuunjj.jpg

It will contain decal sheet and masks for 8 machines, including one Aluminium-painted.

The decal sheet is printed by Cartograf at the moment.

Edited by barkhorn

Thanks! Masks, that's the ticket.

I am thinking this maybe the plane to do. The first time I visited Duxford I heard the sound of a Merlin so I went outside just in time to see this plane on final and land. I think that might have been the first airborne Spitty I've seen? It took off about an hour later, and so did I (in my rental car)... to London.

Ron,

We'd be very happy to do masks for this scheme (or any other) for you. We have all the necessary details as another client requires a mask set for this scheme in 1/24th scale. Please send an e-mail to this address if you are interested.

Best regards,

Ian

If you do not hurry, Kagero's MiniTopcolors 24 devoted to Spitfire Mk XVI will be released in early June or maybe a bit earlier.

beztytuunjj.jpg

It will contain decal sheet and masks for 8 machines, including one Aluminium-painted.

The decal sheet is printed by Cartograf at the moment.

Wow, that has three of the four RCAF Spitfires I wanted to build. I'll be looking for this book for sure.

Ron

Wow, that has three of the four RCAF Spitfires I wanted to build. I'll be looking for this book for sure.

Ron

Ron,

Where did you find a description of the contents of Topcolours 24? I couldn't find it listed yet on the Kagero website.

Richard

Ron,

We'd be very happy to do masks for this scheme (or any other) for you. We have all the necessary details as another client requires a mask set for this scheme in 1/24th scale. Please send an e-mail to this address if you are interested.

Best regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian

I am in for sure. I may want you to do a Mk IX scheme as well. I will e-mail you details today

thanks.

Ron,

Where did you find a description of the contents of Topcolours 24? I couldn't find it listed yet on the Kagero website.

Richard

Not Ron, but if you check a few posts up, Barkhorn showed a pic of the cover and mentioned the overall silver machine. If you haven't read all of Barkhorn's posts, he is a profile artist for Kagero, so we are getting some early preview info (thanks Barkhorn! :thumbsup: ).

All low-back XVIs were clipped-wing, because of the extra weight of the fuel; while in service during WWII they also had metal elevators, but it seems that these might have been discarded, post-war, when the tanks were no longer used. They also had 4-spoke wheels, and possibly all had the straight-tracking u/c legs, consequently with the over-wing teardrop bulges over the wheel bays.

That particular XVI was painted to represent a 21, of 41 Squadron, which went to Blackpool (in 1947, I think) for some air races, which never happened due to foul weather. The only incorrect item was the badge on the cowling; it should have been a spearhead, not an arrowhead. At the time that XVI was owned by Eddie Coventry; it's since been repainted and sold (to someone in America, I believe.)

Edgar

Ron,

Richard

Richard

The information was there, it has since been removed. There were at least 3 RCAF spitfires included. I can not recall with any certainty, which ones. It sure will be nice to have the decals for these aircraft. Are these books available locally? Or do you order yours directly from Poland like Wojtek does?

Ron

All low-back XVIs were clipped-wing, because of the extra weight of the fuel; while in service during WWII they also had metal elevators, but it seems that these might have been discarded, post-war, when the tanks were no longer used. They also had 4-spoke wheels, and possibly all had the straight-tracking u/c legs, consequently with the over-wing teardrop bulges over the wheel bays.

That particular XVI was painted to represent a 21, of 41 Squadron, which went to Blackpool (in 1947, I think) for some air races, which never happened due to foul weather. The only incorrect item was the badge on the cowling; it should have been a spearhead, not an arrowhead. At the time that XVI was owned by Eddie Coventry; it's since been repainted and sold (to someone in America, I believe.)

Edgar

Thanks!!

I would like to do my Tamyia XVI to be this very aircraft in or around 2002 time. Looks like I'll have to nip the wing tips from another Mk IX kit though...

You need someone with a spare set of wheels from the Matchbox/Revell 22/24 :hmmm: It's difficult to see, in the photo, but you might need a set of circular exhausts, from the same kit, as well. :hmmm: Let me know.

Edgar