Best armor website? Opinions?

JRutman

I frequent ML and like it a lot. Sure there are some hardcore know it alls that lack certain social skills, but its not a bad place.You run into those guys wherever you go, I have just learned to ignore them...most of the time!Believe me, though I've done armor since I was about 10 years old,and thats some 30(mumble,mumble) years ago, I'm no award winner or master modeler by a long shot and get along OK. If you want to, contact Brett Green about getting signed up, he's the honcho for ML and Hyperscale. I know I rejoined ML after being absent for a couple of years and had some issues getting signed up, and he took care of it. Something about the registration system was wonky. Track-Link is good too.

Cheers

Jason

Yep, these are great too. But hard to get compared to the tools made by Mission Models.

I had the whole day that feeling that I fotgot something... Sure, thats not aging, but that crash of my last pc with the loss of all my earmarked sites. Of course! ;)

Regards!

- dutik

Jerry, Don't give up on Missing-Lynx, it is an excellent forum, and some of the best armor builders in the world hang out there. I am sure Brett Green can take care of whatever issues you are having over there.

I have found some new sites thanks to this thread - thanks to all who contributed.

Best regards to all,

Scott Gentry

hey Jerry

sorry for my late response to your question but here goes

simple answer: Missing Lynx

next answer: Military Modelling for friendly forums, PMMS (Perth / Terry Ashley's site) for the best reviews in armour anywhere on the net; i have tried on more than one occasion to persuade him to do aircraft as well but he says he just doesn't have the time

here's why...

Missing Lynx

...is where THE most knowledgeable people about (WWII) armour hang out. Period. So if hard core research is your end, then this your site.

i don't post much, but have been on there for nearly 10 years i guess

downside: 1) format - yup it's a Brett Green network54 stone age format fest, but hey they won't listen so what can you do 2) library like atmosphere (in some ways that's a good thing) 3) not terribly friendly and NOT tolerant of newbies asking questions about Wittmann at Villers Bocage, what colour were Tigers in Afrika etc etc; maybe i am being harsh in that respect, but that's my take

still, the knowledge base on M-L outstrips anywhere imho

Military Modelling

...closest in "feel" to LSP; some very good and knowledgeable guys on there inc Chris Meddings who is "Inside The Armour" and the top guy for Brit WWII interiors: friendly

downside: crap page layout, despite essentially having an LSP type forum / posting methodology - for some reason they only use about 50% of the page which is &^*&^*&ing annoying on long threads

i don't post there much and probably owe them a build log but hey ho

in summary, M-L is where i would go to find stuff out, MM is where i would go to chat and maybe show my WIPs

the others...

Track-Link

same crap format as Hyperscale, M-L etc etc but you have to click on every single post to see what people are saying (last time i was on there - maybe they have seen sense); i remember it being run like an autocracy last time i was on there by the owner Paul A Owen (i think - apols if it's no longer him) - if you weren't Canadian or "in the gang" you didn't count. i remember one specific episode where he had a kit to give away as long as you built it online - a guy replied first but was told openly he wasn't a regular so the next guy (one of his mates) got the kit - if you are going to do that why bother to offer it out in the first place

FineScaleModeller

posted about 2000 times on there so i clearly enjoyed it at one stage - have grown out of it now; not hard core enough for me i suppose these days

Armorama

homepage is cluttered and a joke

some VERY friendly people on the forums (someone sent me a home made zimmeritted gun mantlet i was having problems sourcing for free) but just too cluttered and i same page layout issues as Military Modelling

hope this helps...

Nick

hey Jerry

sorry for my late response to your question but here goes

simple answer: Missing Lynx

next answer: Military Modelling for friendly forums, PMMS (Perth / Terry Ashley's site) for the best reviews in armour anywhere on the net; i have tried on more than one occasion to persuade him to do aircraft as well but he says he just doesn't have the time

here's why...

Missing Lynx

...is where THE most knowledgeable people about (WWII) armour hang out. Period. So if hard core research is your end, then this your site.

i don't post much, but have been on there for nearly 10 years i guess

downside: 1) format - yup it's a Brett Green network54 stone age format fest, but hey they won't listen so what can you do 2) library like atmosphere (in some ways that's a good thing) 3) not terribly friendly and NOT tolerant of newbies asking questions about Wittmann at Villers Bocage, what colour were Tigers in Afrika etc etc; maybe i am being harsh in that respect, but that's my take

still, the knowledge base on M-L outstrips anywhere imho

Military Modelling

...closest in "feel" to LSP; some very good and knowledgeable guys on there inc Chris Meddings who is "Inside The Armour" and the top guy for Brit WWII interiors: friendly

downside: crap page layout, despite essentially having an LSP type forum / posting methodology - for some reason they only use about 50% of the page which is &^*&^*&ing annoying on long threads

i don't post there much and probably owe them a build log but hey ho

in summary, M-L is where i would go to find stuff out, MM is where i would go to chat and maybe show my WIPs

the others...

Track-Link

same crap format as Hyperscale, M-L etc etc but you have to click on every single post to see what people are saying (last time i was on there - maybe they have seen sense); i remember it being run like an autocracy last time i was on there by the owner Paul A Owen (i think - apols if it's no longer him) - if you weren't Canadian or "in the gang" you didn't count. i remember one specific episode where he had a kit to give away as long as you built it online - a guy replied first but was told openly he wasn't a regular so the next guy (one of his mates) got the kit - if you are going to do that why bother to offer it out in the first place

FineScaleModeller

posted about 2000 times on there so i clearly enjoyed it at one stage - have grown out of it now; not hard core enough for me i suppose these days

Armorama

homepage is cluttered and a joke

some VERY friendly people on the forums (someone sent me a home made zimmeritted gun mantlet i was having problems sourcing for free) but just too cluttered and i same page layout issues as Military Modelling

hope this helps...

Nick

Thanks for taking time away from the chickies to give such a well laid out response Sir Nick. I have checked out all of these so far except Military Models. I have been lurking on them all but only posted on Armorama so far. You are correct about ML but I still have had no joy in getting into that club. The work there is stellar though. Another eye popper is at Migproductions new forum. Holy Cow! Check out the winners for the foliage contest. Brilliant. Applied there as well but no response. I am beginning to feel like a minority in the 60's. LOL

Thanks for all of the input so far guys. Keep em comin' I need to keep my brain active after the loss of my business so I can keep the night beasties away.

J

serendipitous or what...

i was on M-L and they had a link to a thread on Track-Link and, what do you know, they still have that same utterly crap format where you have to click on each post individually to see them

it defies belief that people use a forum like that

there must be a lot of people with a LOT of patience or time on their hands

N

serendipitous or what...

i was on M-L and they had a link to a thread on Track-Link and, what do you know, they still have that same utterly crap format where you have to click on each post individually to see them

it defies belief that people use a forum like that

there must be a lot of people with a LOT of patience or time on their hands

N

It does move slowly over there. Nice work though. I do still intend to work on aircraft,btw. I just want to get this dio done for a show at the end of the month. My first contest in over 10 years,I recon. I hope that they will be gentle with me(if I keep up the courage to enter) This why I dropped my bouncing back and forth between 4 or 5 projects so I could maybe complete this dio. I am not young enough to be like Joeren with his 10 projects at once! LOL,

J

It does move slowly over there. Nice work though. I do still intend to work on aircraft,btw. I just want to get this dio done for a show at the end of the month. My first contest in over 10 years,I recon. I hope that they will be gentle with me(if I keep up the courage to enter) This why I dropped my bouncing back and forth between 4 or 5 projects so I could maybe complete this dio. I am not young enough to be like Joeren with his 10 projects at once! LOL,

J

Well Jerry, as I said I am biased but http://www.modelersalliance.com/index.php has all sorts of people very knowledgeable in all sorts of things. If its a diorama Bob Letterman is right up there and he is quite happy to share his knowledge. There is Anthony Reeves of Treemendous who is doing a class on groundwork. And a slew of others. If its figure Joe Hudson is willing to answer questions. BTW his new 1/32 Luft figures are very nice. The thing I like best about the site is that everyone is friendly and shares, like here. Again sorry for being biased, but I think its a good place to visit.

James

Well Jerry, as I said I am biased but http://www.modelersalliance.com/index.php has all sorts of people very knowledgeable in all sorts of things. If its a diorama Bob Letterman is right up there and he is quite happy to share his knowledge. There is Anthony Reeves of Treemendous who is doing a class on groundwork. And a slew of others. If its figure Joe Hudson is willing to answer questions. BTW his new 1/32 Luft figures are very nice. The thing I like best about the site is that everyone is friendly and shares, like here. Again sorry for being biased, but I think its a good place to visit.

James

Thanks James,

I just got done registering today and am waiting for the confirmation e-mail. I am going full tilt over at armorama with my arty dio. The sites all seem to treat me the same though. I get a lot of hits on my posts but very few comments. Maybe I should take more showers?

J