P- 47 D Bubble Top

ajmac

I finished my first model in 2011. A P-47 D Hasegawa. A kit with no major problems except the engine cover.

Many difficulties with the decals especially with the wolf's head. Break down easily and do not react to the solvent Microsol.

P47D153.jpg

P47D154.jpg

P47D155.jpg

P47D156.jpg

P47D157.jpg

P47D158.jpg

P47D159.jpg

P47D160.jpg

P47D161.jpg

Extremely well built and painted. I always like the pre/post shading techniques. I'm no good at it but I keep tryin. One little nit-pick on an otherwise spectacular build; the cockpit should have been painted Dull Dark Green, not Interior Green (apologies if it is DDG, on my monitor, it looks like Interior Green). Does not detract from the model whatsoever but for a jug afficianado (aka jug freak), it's a sticking point. I like the OD/NG scheme as well. I've built a couple of these guys and only one turned out reasonably well, the other got sent to the scrap heap. DId you use an aftermarket cockpit set or did you just add the harnesses to the kit seat?

Extremely well built and painted. I always like the pre/post shading techniques. I'm no good at it but I keep tryin. One little nit-pick on an otherwise spectacular build; the cockpit should have been painted Dull Dark Green, not Interior Green (apologies if it is DDG, on my monitor, it looks like Interior Green). Does not detract from the model whatsoever but for a jug afficianado (aka jug freak), it's a sticking point. I like the OD/NG scheme as well. I've built a couple of these guys and only one turned out reasonably well, the other got sent to the scrap heap. DId you use an aftermarket cockpit set or did you just add the harnesses to the kit seat?

You may be right. But, why not Interior Green? I saw so many pictures on the net and showed some Dull Dark Green, other Interior Green. Looked for pictures of the plane, and just found one and was black and white, the front of the model. So I decided to follow the instructions. From what I read, it depended on where they were assembled or constructed.

P47D162.jpg

P47D163.jpg

The only P-47's that had Interior Green cockpits were built by Curtiss. These Curtiss built airframes were never used in combat and remained stateside in training units due to poor quality control during manufacture. Both Farmingdale and Evansville P-47D's had DDG cockpits. If you see one of these with Interior green cockpits, it's most likely an incorrect restoration or misidentified. From the pictures you've posted, the top one looks like a restored aircraft and the bottom one is a Curtiss built P-47 that is currently housed in the USAF Museum.

The jug came out very well indeed. And I agree, the cockpit color, while incorrect, looks fine. It's the Jug Nuts (like myself, Tim, and others here) who are compelled to bring up these issues, not to deter, but hopefully to enlighten. My first T-bolt build had a Zink Chromate cockpit :blink: someone here pointed that out and now I'm destined to never make that error again.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/ChrisSherland/bf109g4/bf109g4.php My old Hase 109, guns installed incorrectly, looks fine. But my subsequent 109s have all been corrected due to that tid bit, again and LSP'er noting my error.

Another example; WhoooHooo was a D-26 and did not have dive brakes, but again, this isn't intended to slam your efforts, or point out a defect to put your build down, but perhaps offered so that on your next Jug build you MAY want to increase accuracy in those areas.

Here's a great article on US aircraft interiors: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm

The whole thing is worth a read, but the P-47 stuff is in part II. I have the Erection and Maintenance manual for the JUG and as noted in the article it never even mentions DDG, only a mixture of Black and Zink for the interior. Go figure.

And finally, again, your Jug does look stunning. Clean build, great weathering, very nice result.

Great confusion to paint the inside of the P-47. But, as I think, from what I read and what you said, you are right, my next model P-47 will already be painted with Dull Dark Green. I've also discovered how to make to Dull Dark Green with Tamiya paints. XF-26 (9) + XF-1 (1).

Thanks for the comments and for your explanations.

Thats a really nice looking P-47. You've done a great job on the OD finish.

I'm doing the same kit at the moment and I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

I think I used the same cockit colour as yours..... ;)

Really nice mate

I have just gotten to 90% on two NMF thunderbolts - and i dont know which is easier OD or NMF - yours looks very nice

Two things only - the cockpit colour ( mentioned already but it always catches the unwary or those who arent aware)

and could you think of adding some paint chips ? suxh a good Ground attack aircraft ould cetainly be a bit dinged up - the only think i would even worry about changing is the adition of some paint fatige on the kit - otherwise it looks a little new

Great build - several small things - noted sensibly only make your next buld even better!!!

Nice mate well done and thanks for posting the pics

Ads