Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-4 Corsair build

richdlc

Sorry I missed that one Matt. I flipped through the whole book but overlooked that pic. According to the caption a shell fragment hit the side of the plane and pierced the tank. There appears to be a jagged whole through which a hose has been run through probably to finish draining the tank. There is a crane on the port side of the plane lifting the wing as is sometimes seen in maintenance shots. Watch your email... I'll send you a larger hi-res version of the same pic.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

*update 25 June 2011*

Hi everyone - MAJOR UPDATE! Managed to get the accessory compartment finished, the engine mounted & the cowling attatched...

air cooling system piping, wiring and junction box:

5869727593_b5de9eec74_b.jpg

test fit:

5870295906_711fe2b0ac_b.jpg

it was a hell of a job trying to shoehorn everything in at once...

5869737705_be35d58016_b.jpg

test fit of cowling:

5869739583_9d448c1bca_b.jpg

scratchbuilt exhaust pipes from Vector parts plus plastic rod of appropriate diameter - the kit ones are unusable really. I only fully made what will be seen:

5869741759_9bc6888f8e_b.jpg

opposite side of cowling:

5870304454_72eeca654e_b.jpg

cowl flap actuator arms - I drilled through the centre of each flap from the outside, inserted plastic rod cut to length & secured with liquid cement for a tight bond, then sanded the flaps smooth outside:

5869747131_a2eb067360_b.jpg

Aires parts, scratchbuilt main wheel struts, J.Rutman wheels - the steel rods are part of the kit supplied main flap system - I cut them down to length & will insert them in the main undercarriage struts which are hollow - should give the model some strength as it is pretty heavy with the extra stuff I added:

5870307232_a11908ddbd_b.jpg

kit partl:

5870308624_237fa6c766_b.jpg

everything glued in place, cowl attatche:

5869750405_2749fc0e30_b.jpg

Edited by richdlc

another view:

5870310302_20ee0e31ee_b.jpg

looking towards the nose:

5869752661_e86d15a7b9_b.jpg

Aires main wheel wells are 95% accurate, only needed to add a few wires:

5869753093_a944a937f5_b.jpg

5870311898_94514ec7d8_b.jpg

hope you enjoyed this update - it's starting to look like a plane now!

Until next time, any comments welcomed...cheers

Rich

have also chosen a colour scheme:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/richcarrick_2007/Picture10-2.png?t=1309036014

image courtesy of www.markstyling.com

http://www.markstyling.com/F4Ukorea.05.htm

the pilot was hit by AAA & killed in 1952 over Korea & the aircraft destroyed - I'm going to order custom masks from Montex...

have also chosen a colour scheme:

http://i127.photobuc...ng?t=1309036014

image courtesy of www.markstyling.com

http://www.markstyli...F4Ukorea.05.htm

Great job here! I really like the colorful blue accents. :D

- I'm going to order custom masks from Montex...

Ive put on Montex stuff, and for the most part the material used in the masks work good but if your going to custom order masks I personally would highly recommend skipping Montex and go straight to Ian for a mask product with a bit more flex, more give, better stickiness (NOT so much as Montex) and some of the best service round. For the product and stellar service you get , you cant beat it em.

Ad Astra custom masks

Cheers,

Brian

ha thanks - that was a typo actually! I meant ad astra :rolleyes:

I've already got a (very reasonable) quote :thumbsup:

ps - by chance the scheme I chose is the same squadron & timeframe as the decals provided in the 48th scale hasegawa kit, just a different nose number

Edited by richdlc

Shameless plug here, but if you're interested, there is a set of G-Factor landing gear for the Corsair, has both main and tail gear. Looks like you've added a whole lot to this kit, and the brass could be a bit more sturdy for it.

Either way, this build is amazing, wish I could scratch-build anything. Your build is really inspirational. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Shameless plug here, but if you're interested, there is a set of G-Factor landing gear for the Corsair, has both main and tail gear. Looks like you've added a whole lot to this kit, and the brass could be a bit more sturdy for it.

Either way, this build is amazing, wish I could scratch-build anything. Your build is really inspirational. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

Got to agree with Matt on that one..................the GFactor F4U gear is quite amazing looking actually......

gfm32016.jpg

SB.com carries them

Got to agree with Matt on that one..................the GFactor F4U gear is quite amazing looking actually......

SB.com carries them

Why thank you Brian. That was actually my first work for G-Factor was the Corsair. My first attempt at any landing gear detailing, to be honest.

Matt