IDF Upgraded M-48A3, c.1968

dodgem37

This was the first project I undertook where I started doing some detailing, scratchbuilding, and parts casting, around 1990, I guess. Everything I had done up to this point was an aircraft and strictly out of the box, and not always with satisfying results either, which I found frustrating. So I decided to take some time off from aircraft and spend my time teaching myself how to build using tanks. I figured I had to be better at tanks, I was so lousy at airplanes. It was also the first tank I had ever done. I found out I had a knack for tanks. Even I could cut a straight line. This build took over 2 years to complete. Much of the stuff is after market or taken from the parts bin. But there are a few items I tinkered with making or upgrading.

I decided to focus my attention on one subject, the IDF, which I thought would help simplify my stash, which it did. But it has taken a lot of research and scratchbuilding to represent the IDF. The main reason why I don't have a large reference library on non-IDF subjects. But those WWII German airplanes, they have just snuck in there over the years.

DSCN5454.jpg

Front left. I used a dental tool to chisel away at the hull and turret to imply that they are cast items. Then I removed the burrs with steel wool. Emergency fire extinguisher handle was cast, as were all of the triangular tie down rings, and nuts and bolts. I started small with this build. The most difficult part of this build was making the .50cal mg mount. It had to be perfectly symmetrical.

DSCN5455.jpg

Rear Left. I lowered the suspension a couple of millimeter's. I cut grooves in the rubber track pads and dinged the rubber on the road wheels. Lead foil for the flag bolted to the rear deck.

DSCN5456.jpg

Rear. I wanted to protect my six, so I came up with this. Artistic license.

DSCN5457.jpg

Rear Right. Lots of work on the gun lock and zenon light.

DSCN5458.jpg

Front Right. Scratchbuilt the commanders mg scissor mount. I 'designed' the base so the main gun would, at its current elevation, be parallel to the ground. It made for a very dynamic look.

DSCN5460.jpg

Turret close-up. I located a mirror in the Urdan Cupola hatch to keep prying eyes from seeing into the empty turret. The knife is supposed to keep the folded map from flying away. The commanders mg ammo box must have fallen off.

DSCN5462.jpg

From the front. I threw some Graphic Design concepts into the build. One is direction. The turret and 3 guns go into the same direction. The commanders gun, hull, and zenon light go in an intersecting direction. The placement of stuff on the left fender reinforces the front to back direction and continues the movement forward with the in-line placement of additional track, while the circle on the right front fender terminates the movement by being a dissimilar object. The front hanging chain repeats the front hull curve. Stuff like that.

DSCN5465.jpg

From the Rear. Thinned the kit supplied bustle supports and made the bustle.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 1 year later...

I have not done any work on the M48 in well over 15 years. I actually consider it to be finished, even tho it is not painted. It was my first foray into scratchbuilding and building anything other than OOtB. It has been stored in a box all of this time. Maybe I should put it in my display case? Thanks for bringing that idea to light. I'll put it in this afternoon.

I did pick up a couple of his books. I would like to build a 1/25 PUMA.

Sincerely,

Mark