Chico's Bent Wing Bird

big matt

"

I would go with the zc yellow behind the cowl ring. When new it would have looked like the yellow on the paint chipped area on the chin of the cowl. It may look like it has a green tint due to the proximity to the engine, years of accumulated dirt, oil, etc. Tamiya XF-4 yellow green should be about right here.

Allan

Allan, how about the cowl flaps??? I wonder if they were treated as an outside surface? I think 431 was from the last block of -1A's. It is a Goodyear aircraft, correct? This can get real confusing.

Thanks Derek, I am trying to do this thing fairly close without going crazy.

Thanks Nige, I had a lot of fun on the cockpit.

Ron, I got impatient waiting. :lol:

Dave, the shape is just about right on the Revell and it just looks better.

Thanks for looking in Peter! The cowl flaps drove me a little nuts!

Regarding the cowl flap colour, pics of unrestored examples look to be a light grey and while these are later examples than your subject I believe this would be the case right to the beginning of Corsair production.

Allan

This is a frustrating subject Allan, my Corsair Sensei has unearthed recent color photos of recovered wrecks and there is clear evidence of the salmon color inside the cowling. I wonder if it was a difference in manufacturing between Vought and Goodyear. If I am not mistaken, I believe KD431 to be a plane Goodyear cobbed together in the final block of -1A's using some -1D parts to fill the FAA order. Not sure. I think VF-17's a/c were Vought examples, at least on the first tour.

Thanks Phil, I would certainly make them from pe next time. The plastic is too easy to distort with cement. My fingers would like it too...

Ok, back to work. I cut all the ribs off and repositiond them to connect (at least look that way) to the rocker covers. This provides an alternate wide/narrow spacing.

65424f5f.jpg

2320bbd8.jpg

I also rescribed the cowl ring line as the raised line on the Revell cowl has it too far forward. The line is now closer to the real position. The cowl ring stayed on the aircraft and the center section was removed to provide access to the engine cylinders. The styrene plate I added was the break on the cowl sections. I also added the fastener points with a jewelers beading tool.

168b38a1.jpg

The circle in the cowl ring opened a hole that a rod could be placed in to allow a ramp to be installed for a mechanic to access the engine. It attached at the rear to the wing root cooler inlet. Clever. I dont know if the circle was a plug or a spring loaded affair.

Now I have to figure out how the fix the engine in this mess. The gear reduction housing has to stick out a bit and I just have to figure out by how much. More Corsair guessing!

The salmon primer issue frustrates me to no end as well Matt. :blowup: I wish all the guys with the evidence of it would share it with the rest of us. :help: As long as I have been examining photos and video I have seen no more than one or two overturned birdcages with salmon coloured wheel wells.

If you have the Skull and Crossbones VF-17 book from Schiffer look on page 134 at the photo on the bottom of the page of Killefer's #5. The cowl and accessory section panels are removed and laying on the ground in the far left of the picture behind the ground crew. They are facing ribbed side up exposing the interior. Though it is a black and white photo, the tone is much to light to be salmon in IMHO. It is a very early -1A with the full ring of cowl flaps. And this isn't the only example I have. I am not saying there never was any salmon, it's a question of when it was used and on what parts of the aircraft. Just going by the best reference material I have. I guess I am a 'show me' kind of guy, I would like to be in on the big salmon secret so I can make an informed decision. Hopefully someone will eventually post an article somewhere, complete with photos, enlightening the rest of us Corsair fans.

Rant over... BTW your cowl is looking great! That circle in cowl ring for the for the service ramp has a spring loaded plug on the inside. I can send you a cropping from one of my blueprints if you like. Just PM me your email if you would like it.

Regards,

Allan

Hey Harv! Get that Corsair going man!!!

Thanks Jerry, glad to have you looking in.

Allan, I feel your pain. I do have the Lee Cook book and it is getting pretty dogeared. That shot of Killifer's plane is an wealth of info. Check out the tail cone mod and the coral dust streaked from the rain. It seems that I have read the salmon article you are hoping to find. Now I just have to find it. My tireless researcher and I have come to the realization that there is no real definitive answer on salmon. We have found that it was often oversprayed with light grey in wheel wells and the cowling. There are a few shots of restorations where the paint has been stripped to the aluminum and salmon colored residue remains in spots on the fuselage. It seems the wings got primed in yellow. We have some period color pics of open panels on the tail section and the inside of the panel lip is yellow. Some of the wreck photos are very revealing. I have been scouring Pacific Wreck Finders a lot and there are a few good examples.

In all, it's insane that we do not have more accurate info on this airplane. It's not like I am trying to build a Northrop Gamma...

I would love to see a pic of that spring loaded dohickey, pm inbound, thanks!

More work soon but a new project is threatening to take over my layout bench, I have boxed it for now but it is trying to escape again...

You made two right? and one will be in the mail to my place soon right? :lol:

I wish I only made one Ron! By the time I got it to this point I had done everything twice... Thanks!

Hey Peter, thanks! I am thinking on a new project as I just finished my 110 for the Russ build, it is shiny and shared the skies over Korea with your F-80.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the great salmon debate rages... :BANGHEAD2:

Amazing work on that cowling Matt! I'm glad you're building it with the wings extended. I've been looking at my kit and I get the feeling that the wings will be a tricky part of the build. Can't wait to see more.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Any chance it's a F-86 Sabre? Finally am picking up steam on the F-80 and this weekend wings and tail surfaces will be on.

Peter :piliot:

I just got the 'time capsule fighter' book for my dash 4 build - yes, I can recommend it too.

Re: information - to be honest I've found the most relevant photos on flickr.com (see my other thread about Corsair engine detail shots) - you may have to sign up but it is well worth the effort.

Here's some wheel well pics from that site I uploaded to my photobucket account that may be useful to you:

tail wheel well

Picture26.png?t=1288735120

tail wheel well from starboard side access panel

Picture27.png?1288735239

main wheel well

p47.png?1288735372

got loads more of various parts of various marks of Corsair, let me know what you need & I'll try and post them up or send them to you

Thanks guys!

Hey Rich, those are some great pics. I did go through your flickr link, all the pages... There was some great stuff there. I will hit you up for some pics for sure. Thanks for the offer. How about any shots of the -1A wing fuel tank gas caps or the main fuselage tank cap? Those seem to be in short supply. I have some shots but they are from a distance and not the focal point of the picture. They seem to be different from the typical caps of the time.