Revell 1/32 F4U Corsair

Shawn M

Wow!

I stand by what I said earlier.

I think we are heading for something really special here.

I am really interested to see where this is going.

I keep coming back to this build (like a moth to flame).

I'm not sure the extreme weathering is my taste but I just can't look away ;). Can't wait to see what happens next.

the only other way I could think to do it would be to apply "chips" of primer, then "chip" the centers with aluminum afterwords.

I use a technique similar to this and it is time consuming. But then, I've never tried it on this magnitude.

This is rather extreme like Keith pointed out, but after looking at some pics it may not be too far off from accurate either.

I got some good paint'n done tonight!

Silver base coat applied to wings and 4 main gear doors

White base coat applied to rudder

Matte Coat applied to fuse and prop

Tomorrow I should be able to get the elevator halves painted in base coat as well.

Then the weather takes a big one and gets into the teens again...

When I first saw your weathering I thought whoa, now that's extreme weathering! but thinking about operating on crushed coral blowing in prop wash and on everyone's boots I think this amount of weathering is completely believable.

Believable or not, your doing an excellent job of it. :speak_cool:

Good luck getting that tail wheel mounted. I hope you manage to after all your efforts to date.

Cheers!

Ron

Edited by ron

Oh Yeah!

Methinks we need a tutorial from you on that paint chipping! :speak_cool:

Everytime I break off a tailwheel/pitot tube/other fragile bits I swear that I will replace/strengthen them with brass rod

at the start of the build but I never do!

Sure you can fix that tailwheel Shawn. Get the brass!!!

Phil :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone for the comments and support!

The funny part about the tail gear is I already pinned the fork as I knew it would be weak...didn't pin the main part thought.. lol

Whats that about hind sight being 20:20?

My chipping technique is the same as pinned on the forums here (somewhere). The only difference is I am using rattle cans instead of an airbrush, a scotch brite pad to knock of the salt and "scuff" the paint (be sure to scuff in the direction of wear AND airflow) and Im not rinsing it under a faucet. I wet an old wash rag and rub the plane down afterwords. Lots of work but Im loving it and will use this technique on future builds as well.

Getting over my fear of a new technique (the whole point of this build actually was to learn) had opened the door for neat stuff to try.

Just wait till I do my "salt wash" to fade this turkey....Im gonna need a shot or two before I start that

re attached the tail gear so I can Matte coat the model and start weathering it. By weathering I mean washes, oil, adding some of the doors I've made (wing support rod doors, pilots step, wing fold doors) from aluminum.

wow lots done this weekend.

Matte coated fuse

washed seams in thinned black tempra

added oil from exhausts

added staining from fuel filler and seams

added seam tape to forward fuse

finished the elevators and rudder

broke my memory card reader so I cant upload pics... :(