MDC Typhoon decal scheme explanation

thierry laurent

Hi!

One of the not too serious defaults of the MDC Typhoon is the lack of information regarding the schemes. After a little bit or research, I identified all of them:

1. MR-? (MN819?): 245 Sq. (Rhodesian) 2nd TAF ("Rocket" sq.: Mk1 launchers), end of June 1944, Jack Collins Sq. leader, B6 Coulombs airfield, Normandy.

2. PR (MN130): 609 Sq. (British-Belgian) 2nd TAF ("Rocket" Sq.: Mk1 launchers), 6 June 1944, Thorney Island.

3. I8-E (RB485): 440 Sq. (Canadian) 2nd TAF ("Bomb" Sq.), Flensburg, Germany, April 1945.

4. 7L-C (SW593): 3 Sq. - 59 Operational Training Unit, May 1945.

5. BR-M (RB382): 184 Sq. 2nd TAF ("Rocket" sq.: Mk 3 launchers), August 1945.

Some important remarks:

1. Note that 44-45 Typhoon squadrons were split between "bomb" squadrons and "rocket" squadrons". Hence, take care when you choose one scheme. Mk3 rocket rails were used from December 1944. For Mk1 rocket launchers, use MDC CV32022 (AP) or CV32023 (HE/SAP), for Mk3 rocket launchers, use CV32035 (AP) or 32036 (HE/SAP). To use bombs, either use MDC CV 32050 or 32052 for 500lb bombs or CV 32053 for 1000 lb ones.

2. Another important remark: the majority of schemes depict postwar Typhoons (May-September 1945 period). Consequently, putting bombs or HE/AP rockets on such planes is not really accurate (pictures only show fuel tanks or possibly training rockets). However, airplanes of "rocket" squadrons kept the rocket rails.

3. Typhoons entering service during the 44 summer generally had a Trop filter added under the belly. It was not very visible (located between the LG doors). This explains why there is no good picture of this filter. However, there is a solution: Bentley Tempest drawings give good views of a similar filter should youy want to scratchbuild one!

HTH

thx Thierry

i don't have the kit, but that is very useful, and interesting, stuff.

to clarify though, "the majority of schemes depict postwar Typhoons (May-September 1945 period)" - but only 2 of the 5 options provided by MDC fall into this bracket no?

or did i miss something?

i am interested in this, as i do not build any WWII aircraft stationed or serving after either VE or (where relevant) VJ Day...

thx again for your research

Nick

Hi!

You're right!

I'd have corrected the phrase. Indeed, three schemes refer to the wartime period but I was a little bit confused because the third scheme corresponds to the period of de-activation of the operational status of the 440 Sq. in Germany. Hence, you may consider that for them, the war was over even if VE day had still to come...

Thierry

Hi,

You are confusing me with the deactivation date of 440 RCAF Squadron, which by early 1944, was part of the 143 Wing. 440 RCAF Squadron disbanded in Sept 7th 1945, so if there are markings in there for a Typhoon depicting April 1945, then that is still valid. Here's my reference:

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/17w-17e/sqns...-eng.asp?id=419

Brad

Brad, the reference I have do not say that the squadron was offically disbanded in April but that they were put out of war operations status. The formal deactivation of the Squadron indeed occured later. BTW, nearly all Typhoon squadrons were formally deactivated at the same date (end of September 1945).

However, I'm puzzled by another aspect: the location! Your reference web page explains that the squadron was formally deactivated in Flensburg whereas I think that the one I read (in a French book dedicated to the Typhoon) told that they were transfered in UK (if my memory's right) for deactivation! I'll try to double check as soon as possible.

Thierry