Miles M-20

spacewolf

I spent my afternoon working away at this....

post-2514-1280971077.jpg

I'm using 1/16th to plank it with... a lot more material which makes it stronger, but it eats # 11 blades...cutting through this thick a plastic really dulls the blades quickly.

post-2514-1280971185.jpg

The angle strips were cut from .040.... I'll be able to start sanding this tomorrow !

post-2514-1280971255.jpg

:thumbsup:

hahahahaha.... time will tell.

Extra thin huh? I use that for lots of stuff. How much do you use on stuff like the front of the fuselage buildup that you did? Do you slather it on and try to melt the styrene together or build up a piece at a time carefully? Inquiring minds want to know.

oooohhhh as if on cue your latest post has a picture of just the buildup I mean

:thumbsup:

hahahahaha.... time will tell.

Extra thin huh? I use that for lots of stuff. How much do you use on stuff like the front of the fuselage buildup that you did? Do you slather it on and try to melt the styrene together or build up a piece at a time carefully? Inquiring minds want to know.

oooohhhh as if on cue your latest post has a picture of just the buildup I mean

Time will tell huh ?... you Sir are an evil man to keep us in suspense ! :lol:

I use it pretty liberally but I usually try not to use too much. As you do this kind of work you get a feel for how much to use for any given situation. Each piece was cut to fit as close as I could without going nuts... it's not cabinetry by any means. I tend to run glue into a seam and then press it together till liquefied plastic bubbles out... any big gaps are filled with thinner bits of sheet or bits nipped off of scrap. I'd rather use plastic and leave putty for small cracks or shallow area's.

The thicker the plastic the more you can 'soak' it with glue.... the thinner, the lighter you have to go. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Vaughn

As always mate! :clap2:

Ever thought about building scale model clinker built boats????

Phil :clap2:

Thanks Phil

Clinker built boats ?... (why is there no Viking Em con ? ).... well.. I always did like the Viking longships... but being the twisted type I am I started thinking Steampunk..... Clinker built but with iron plates..... heavy rivets, a lower iron dragons head on the prow with two barrel turrets fore and aft....... :) oh yes, and of course..

Great work Vaughn. It's really coming together now. It's a good thing you enjoy sanding, as there looks to be no end to it on this build!

Kev

Hey Kev, ya.. that's true, but I'm having fun so it's all good ! And speaking of.... after dusting the model with a brush, using light and shadow it's easy to see the problem area's..

post-2514-1281042296.jpg

post-2514-1281042316.jpg

A bit of scrap sheet and stretched sprue glued in... once this is smooth it's on to the second half of the oil cooler intake.

post-2514-1281042391.jpg

Ya know, ya gotta clean up from time to time thoughout a build... things just get too cluttered. But when you do it is a good idea to pay attention to what you are doing. I had set aside the piece of plastic I used for the intake shape on the first half of the fuselage. Knowing I was getting close to using it I the other day I got it out of the box I'm using to hold the parts.... well, yesterday I cleaned up some... you know where this is going, right ?..... Yup, when I went to use it today it is gone.... :unsure:

Oh well, time to cut out another one.... :BANGHEAD2:

I cut it out and tack glued it in place...

post-2514-1281057098.jpg

I did the stacking thing again but this time using 1/16th it went a lot faster. I used thinner sheet near the top to help get the curvature.

post-2514-1281057201.jpg

It's ugly, but a knife and 100 grit sandpaper will cut it down to size tomorrow.. gotta let it dry.

post-2514-1281057187.jpg

After a night to dry and lots of bits of plastic all over the floor this is how it came out.

post-2514-1281117699.jpg

There is stil work to do, a bit more to take off here and there but for the most part it's good.

post-2514-1281117773.jpg

I'm going to have to 'tweek' the lines a bit till I'm satisfied with them but it's getting close.

post-2514-1281117846.jpg

I love what you are doing Vaughn...Planking is great fun is it not? (it's amazing what can be created using this method - I once made a complete 1/72 Fairey Gannet AEW.3 fuselage master pattern using this method).

Great stuff :unsure:

Derek

Looking good Vaughn. The results so far more than vindicate your methods and approach. I'm curious about the weight of the front end though. Is it heavier than you'd expect from, say, an injection-moulded equivalent?

Kev

I love what you are doing Vaughn...Planking is great fun is it not? (it's amazing what can be created using this method - I once made a complete 1/72 Fairey Gannet AEW.3 fuselage master pattern using this method).

Great stuff :piliot:

Derek

Thanks Derek

It is amazing.. like I said, when you are sanding it down it's like magic watching the smooth shape emerging from the rough lump in your hands. There is a lot of work to it but it's a great feeling when you see what you can do. I'd love to see pics of your Gannet if you have any ?

Cheers

Vaughn