Foiled Hasegawa P-51D

Out2gtcha

Hey Brian, that's agreat solution for the wonky dihedral. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to add a slight modification. When I do something like this and handle the model in just the wrong way, The thin epoxy joint can go "POP" and then I've lost my joint. Before I would take the clamps off, I would add a "clip" of styrene over the brass and secure that to the bottom wong half. That way the styrene would take a lot of stress off the epoxy joint. Figure the "clip" would be like on of those in the cockpit that would secure a bunch of wires to the side walls. If you need a picture of it, let me know.

Hey Brian, that's agreat solution for the wonky dihedral. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to add a slight modification. When I do something like this and handle the model in just the wrong way, The thin epoxy joint can go "POP" and then I've lost my joint. Before I would take the clamps off, I would add a "clip" of styrene over the brass and secure that to the bottom wong half. That way the styrene would take a lot of stress off the epoxy joint. Figure the "clip" would be like on of those in the cockpit that would secure a bunch of wires to the side walls. If you need a picture of it, let me know.

That's a damn good Idea! No actually I know exactly what your talking about. I can picture a thin strip over the brass like a wire bundle secured to the base of the lower wing taking pressure off of the brass/epoxy joint.

Ill have to give that a shot. I just need to make sure I have enough clearance for the top wing half as Ive cut it down pretty far already, so just need to use the right thickness of "clip"

I used epoxy I have great luck with and didn't get stingy with it either, covering the whole half of the bottom of the brass spar spreading out wide to the top of the bottom wing. Hopefully that will add some strength to the joint as well.

Nice fix on the dihedral, Brian. An added advantage is that it will give the finished model a little extra 'heft'.

This is a fun built to watch--keep em coming.

Fred

Thanks Fred! Yeah I think it will definitely have a bit more of a "weighty" feel to her in the end but not so much that I would worry about the gear and what-not.

I am also looking forward to getting through things like the dihedral adjustment, wheel well insertion, as those things are critical, and very necessary, but are not fun and rewarding for me like the foiling process is.

When I DO get to that stage I will throw in some of the process details that go into my kitchen foiling during this thread.

Thanks for lookin as always

Cheers,

Brian

That's a damn good Idea! No actually I know exactly what your talking about. I can picture a thin strip over the brass like a wire bundle secured to the base of the lower wing taking pressure off of the brass/epoxy joint.

Ill have to give that a shot. I just need to make sure I have enough clearance for the top wing half as Ive cut it down pretty far already, so just need to use the right thickness of "clip"

I used epoxy I have great luck with and didn't get stingy with it either, covering the whole half of the bottom of the brass spar spreading out wide to the top of the bottom wing. Hopefully that will add some strength to the joint as well.

Thanks Fred! Yeah I think it will definitely have a bit more of a "weighty" feel to her in the end but not so much that I would worry about the gear and what-not.

I am also looking forward to getting through things like the dihedral adjustment, wheel well insertion, as those things are critical, and very necessary, but are not fun and rewarding for me like the foiling process is.

When I DO get to that stage I will throw in some of the process details that go into my kitchen foiling during this thread.

Thanks for lookin as always

Cheers,

Brian

Glad to be of service.

Well this last week of "progress" if you can call it that was slow at best. Girl friend issues along with the nature of scratch-building conspired to make it a slow weekend.

I had the wings clamped and epoxied and left to dry for about a week in the clamps. I braced up the brass spars and tape fitted the top wing sections on and I think we have a winner (or at least as close as I will come)

DSC00779.jpg

After fixing the dihedral issue, I wend back to work on the cockpit and seats. I got in 2 sets of Radu's beautiful USAF seatbelts to use.

These kits are wonderful and add a very nice realistic touch to any model, but as with most any PE type parts, they are not for those who do not like "fiddly bits". The shoulder harnesses were not long enough for either the pilot nor the jump seat, so they are scratched from Tamiya tape. On Dixie boy the pilots seat pads are not standard and have an extra pat that is behind the pilots back, and partially surrounds his neck.

I used "SuperSculpey" to make the seat and seat-back cushions.

1253518229614.jpg

For those of you not familiar with it this flesh colored miracle, SuperSculpey is a clay that stays supple and mold-able just like modeling clay, but when baked @ 275deg F for 15 min, it becomes solid hard; YET still sand-able & you can trim it up with a hobby knife.

One of the best parts is it works great for the same kinds of things stuff like Milliput is good for, but instead of $15.00 US (at least here in the states its that much) for a few OZs of it, you can get SS for under $10.00 US a Lb where I live.

Its great for figures (so ive heard and seen), but for this application it works awesome for seat cushions; I just roll it flat like dough, then put a strip of T-shirt over the SS and roll over it with the the smooth handle of my hobby knife, making an impression of material texture.

The rear jump seat has a back and seat pad with shoulder and lap belts. Not cleaned up yet or fully installed, but you can get an idea of where Im going.

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

Rear jump and decking

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

I have a feeling that I will be having more time this weekend to work on Dixie Boy, with no GF taking up the Fri night/Sat morning/Sat afternoon/Sat n.....U get the Ider. My poor, poor libido is going to suffer though :speak_cool:

Cheers, gents.

Brian

That's a beautiful job on the seat. So far, that's the most realistic set up for a P51 I've seen. I thought I did a good job but this is heads and feet over mine. Congrats on a great build.
Thanks SD! :speak_cool:

So basically mine is more of a scale "representation" than a 100% down to the mm accurate perfect portrail. lol

Here is what the real deal looks like.....

Pilots seat

100_0325.jpg

100_6171.jpg

100_6175.jpg

Rear jump seat

100_0319.jpg

100_6169.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

Giving up a weekend of "trouser action" to work on your build is dedication of the first order and I award you the "MANN" medal! (Model Action - No Nookie)

Seriously Brian, she's looking great, the cockpit is stunning and your dihedral fix has turned out really well!

Can't wait for the foil to start!

Keep going mate!

Phil :)

Brian,

Models will never lie to you, they will never leave you, they will never cheat on your with your best friend, they will.....Dude... I find that I model better when everything is going ok with the girlfriend, BUT... to quote Bob Marley.. no woman no cry...So, keep diggin into the project and whatever happens with the other stuff will work itself out one way or another.

The P-51 is looking pretty schweet so far, dont forget the little barf bag holder for the guy in back ! :evil_laugh:

All the best,

Paul

:)

Well I am continually amazed at how much time I actually can whittle away working on/building/detailing cockpits. Its not perfect, but about as close as I can come when trying to mesh Hasegawa, Aries for trumpeter and Eduard in one cockpit.

Front office(s) pretty much wrapped up.......

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

Got the tires and wheels painted, and tread highlighted

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

Next step I think is getting the engine and prop sorted............EDT - CRAP I just noticed after posting these pics that I did not build nor install the funny shaped cross bar behind the pilots seat. I will get on that first........

Till next time gents, and as always, thanks 4 lookin!

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, If you spent more time thinking about the task at hand and less time worring about what the GF is up to, you wouldn't be forgetting about crossbars. :blowup:

The pit is excellent.

Fred

Brian, If you spent more time thinking about the task at hand and less time worring about what the GF is up to, you wouldn't be forgetting about crossbars. :speak_cool:

Your 100% right about that fred! Fortunately its one of the VERY few things I can actually build paint and install after the pit is actually finished.

Im hoping if I can achieve the crossbar design i want, it will be very close to the layered and bolted in with pins crossbar that exists in the 1:1 ship

Brian