Another Airfix Mosquito

TimW

The 20mm guns. Some moderate straightening out will occur when I install, them but attempts to make it "perfect" at this stage of the assembly was starting to look like a descent into madness.

post-717-1266712791.jpg

Now I'm back on the horns of dilemma about which paint scheme to do.

I like the idea of an all over black night intruder....but that 487 Squadron scheme, traditional though it is, is also really calling out.

While I like the SEAC scheme Xtradecals is coming out with, I wouldn't be able to use the figures that come with the kit.

Grrr. Decisions, decisions.

Tim W.

There's also the 464 Squadron option (SB-V) - leave the D-Day stipes off and you have an Operation Jericho machine in the day fighter scheme. As you say, Tim, decisions.................................

Yeah...I'm also thinking of just doing the standard grey and green over grey but with 157 Squadron's red letters--that was pretty common as well for night intruders.

Tim W.

Looking great! Sure looks big. Does the size make it hard to work with on the bench?

Actually, it's not that bad. All the stuff that goes in the bomb bay is built up separately, so getting it in there usually just means turning the aircraft over on it's back. I found getting the landing gear and engines into the nacelles was probably the trickiest bit, as well as the 20mm gun package.

But it is getting heavier and heavier...painting will probably be a bit more of a challenge.

And I went ahead and ordered the Xtradecal set....probably go with 418 RCAF or 45 RAF (SEAC!)

Tim W.

Yeah...I'm also thinking of just doing the standard grey and green over grey but with 157 Squadron's red letters--that was pretty common as well for night intruders.

Tim W.

That would look good Tim, the Xtradecal sheet looks great value for money.

That would look good Tim, the Xtradecal sheet looks great value for money.

Yep. The last big choice will be whether or not to do a 418 Squadron aircraft, a compelling choice after reading McInosh's book or 45 Squadron because I like the Far East/CBI theater. The weathering alone would make for an interesting project.

Tim W.

Nice work and the kit looks really beautiful and well detailed. Do you intend using some washes to pick out all the detail?

Yes, I will be doing that, especially with the landing gear and probably some more on the engines as well.

For the exterior, it will depend on which paint job I end up using. Weathering a wooden aircraft will be a contrast to the usual natural metal under the paint, so I'll have to think about that one.

Regards,

Tim W