1/32nd F/A 18D Hornet - 2/7/15 - Sidewinders painted

crobinsonh

• 11 months later...

Ok. Whilst waiting for the filler to dry on my two seat T.20 I dug out this kit and got working on it...

I have used the Eduard mesh set for some parts (although it arrived a little too late for the vents on the fuselage as I had that glued together already!

First off sand off the old detail

P1010775.jpg

Now all prepared for the etch

P1010773.jpg

Now the filling starts - I could not get a great fit on these but may have been my lack of skills and/or patience

P1010777.jpg

Fuselage together, filled and sanded - now just needs rescribing etc.

P1010780.jpg

P1010782.jpg

P1010783.jpg

I have decided to resolve all of the filling and rescibing etc on each major sub assembly therefore it should make handling of the model easer.

Next step fuselage section together and spray the pack of the intake covers before gluing to the fuselage. Did I tell you that I HATE rescribing,,.,

• 7 months later...

Long time since any update - but whilst I am awaiting my trip in the Lightning to get more details and I have lost a little interest in the Spitfire 22/24 I went back to the Hornet. Did more re-scribing and filling and finally connected the main fuselage and front cockpit! Lets see how far I get with this before losing interest :BANGHEAD2:

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

I also fitted a spacer to make sure that the top piece of the front fuselage would fit nicely.

IMG_0147.jpg

I have been lucky as I know a lot of people have had issues with warped wings but so far so good mine have been nice and straight.

Regards

Ok - some more work with sanding the filler and then super glueing and then sanding again...

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

I know other people have found difficulty with fitting the front fuselage to the rear fuselage - I actually found this very easy. Which is good as the intakes are going to be a right pig!

Here is the joint line with Mr Surfacer

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Now some re-scribing and then onto those dratted intakes!

I have been lucky as I know a lot of people have had issues with warped wings but so far so good mine have been nice and straight.

Yes, mine are badly warped. I obtained a replacement set from Academy, but those were even worse. Glad you got a straight set! Coming along nicely here.

Work continues are re-scribing and riveting..

IMG_0168.jpg

and then onto to those intakes! After much sanding and fettling this is the best I could get to. Worst part of the this kit by far.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

and then I found that when I closed the fuselage with the Aires cockpit and wheel bay (which where a pig to fit not least as they are smaller than the kit parts with resin shrinkage and therefore nothing fits that well!) have damaged the plastic. Oh well more work to fix!

IMG_0167.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Sure don't envy you with all the poor part fit, filler and re-scribing that is necessary. Sure will be orth it when done. Looking forward to keeping up with your progress.

Peter

:popcorn:

Ok - intakes are now sanding and pretty smooth - will apply super glue over the top for final finish and to stop putty cracking.

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

I really like the Academy Hornet - it has a real quality feel about it. However there are some really strange issues where panel lines are missing as shown below or are not straight and need to be re-scribed.

IMG_0165.jpg

I am determined to fit the LERX tonight as I am away in Stockholm Tuesday through Friday and will get no modelling time. These are a much better fix that the intakes but are still going to cause some headaches with regard to getting a tight fit and as few a gaps as possible.

Regards

More progress - need to get as much done before Saturday when I go on a "Thunder run" with my daughter in the Cranfield EE lightning T5 - this will also mean I can finally get some great shots of the rear bulkhead and continue that build:-

The Thunderun - http://www.lightningt5.com/photo-gallery.html

and the dormant build - http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=34720&st=0&p=323253&hl=lightning&fromsearch=1entry323253

Anyway back to the Hornet progress...

First off showing the intakes now fitting nicely but not re-scribed yet.

IMG_0179.jpg

Now the fitting of the LERX's which where a bit of a pig on the RH side for some reason. Lots more fettling that I originally anticipated.

HornetLERXAnnotatedTop.jpg

HornetBottomLERX.jpg

and now Vallejo to the rescue (I had forgotten that I had this putty - but I remembered whilst at work today while pondering how to fix the problem without losing lots of detail).

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

That's it for tonight.

• 1 year later...

Wow it has been a while since this was updated. The model basically sat in my model room until around a week ago. I have now made some progress. Here is the first photographs of what I have managed to catch up with.

I had a few issues getting a really good fit for the nose so out came the Vallejo filler and then re-scribe after sanding. This was quite tedious

IMG_2512_zps1232e499.jpg

I decided to re-scribe every panel line as there are a few oddities with the Academy kit that need fixing - more info in the excellent DACO plans and the amazing build by Chuck over on ARC of his F-18D conversion to a CF-18B. Hopefully you can see the work in the following shots - the re-riveting nearly caused me to go nuts!

IMG_2511_zps5c787bd7.jpg

IMG_2514_zps0ad03a37.jpg

IMG_2515_zpsda41111e.jpg

IMG_2517_zpsed030fff.jpg

Really nice work so far. The seats do look fabulous. As Dave said, though, they are most likely incorrect for a D-model. Very few D-models have the Night Attack cockpit and SJU-5/6 seats (only those 15 or so two-seat airframes in Lot 12). Since it appears you're building a late-Lot jet, the later-style NACES seats would be correct for your model.

Looking forward to seeing more work.

Jake

Nicely done - the cockpit looks particularly sharp and that Vallejo filler looks like pretty useful stuff - I don't think I've seen it used before.

Meanwhile, it refreshing to see something being built that has a single wing and no wires holding them on :)

Grant.