Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion

LSP_Kevin

I could work on other aspects of the build, but I'm a fairly linear guy, so it's just less mentally traumatic for me if I don't!

Kev

Aye??!!

What ever happened to the "Oh look, a butterfly" guy we all know and love?

Aye??!!

Nah, that's never been me mate. I tend to develop a single-minded focus that can border on unhealthy sometimes. I single-task like a laser beam, and can't multitask to save my life. It's one of the reasons that I never give up on these old clunkers, even when they're doing my head in. It's actually easier for me to start another model than to move to a different area on this one before finishing the current task. Which is exactly what I'm planning to do. I've just gotta pick one...which of course paralyses me with option anxiety!

Kev

• 1 month later...

Aye??!!

Nah, that's never been me mate. I tend to develop a single-minded focus that can border on unhealthy sometimes. I single-task like a laser beam, and can't multitask to save my life. It's one of the reasons that I never give up on these old clunkers, even when they're doing my head in. It's actually easier for me to start another model than to move to a different area on this one before finishing the current task. Which is exactly what I'm planning to do. I've just gotta pick one...which of course paralyses me with option anxiety!

Kev

I think that was me your thinking of... :P

I've always been that way - much to the dismay of my parents and amusement (sometimes) of my wife... Seriously, that's my motto: "Squirrel!" It kind of explains a lot...

So, Kev, where are we on this conversion? It's looking very cool...

That sounds like me too. I'm like a kid with a nice shiny toy when I get a new kit. It's all I can think of. That is until another kit catches my eye, then I have to get that kit, and hey, look at the other 'plane on the box - I gotta get that one too! If you'll excuse me, I think I see a dog with a puffy tail running along - look, a dog with a puffy tail!... look!...

Regards,

Jason

So, Kev, where are we on this conversion? It's looking very cool...

Well, I put it aside to wait for some parts that Glenn R was sending me, which have duly arrived. Glenn is finishing up his own version of this conversion, using the same base kit, but with scratch-built conversion parts. He's also sending me a CD full of reference material, so I'm now waiting for that! Just delaying tactics really, but I'm keen to get back to it as soon as my MiG-15 is finished.

Kev

Well, I put it aside to wait for some parts that Glenn R was sending me, which have duly arrived. Glenn is finishing up his own version of this conversion, using the same base kit, but with scratch-built conversion parts. He's also sending me a CD full of reference material, so I'm now waiting for that! Just delaying tactics really, but I'm keen to get back to it as soon as my MiG-15 is finished.

Kev

I'd be interested in this conversion too. I have a spare 190 which could do with a purpose.

I'd be interested in this conversion too. I have a spare 190 which could do with a purpose.

Sorry Jim, Glenn's conversion was a personal project. No scope there for anything more. Not sure I'll use his parts yet until I've had a chance to check them against the cuts I've already made.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Righto fellas, some token progress. I've decided to persevere with adapting the UMI resin components to the Hasegawa fuselage parts, as the cuts I'd already made to accommodate them precluded the use of Glenn's vac parts. A pity, as Glenn did a really good job with them (I'm hoping to see his build in RFI soon).

Anyway, I've managed to secure the port-side hump to the port-side fuselage half using Aryldite epoxy glue. I extended the mating surface with plastic strip to form a ledge, and the joint seems pretty secure:

4ezZQO.jpg

I decided to mate each hump to its respective fuselage half separately as the width and horizontal taper of the plastic and resin components is distinctly different. The fuselage is wider than the joined hump at its forward-most, whereas it's the opposite at the tail section. Of course, now I'm risking the hump being too wide for the canopy, so we'll see what happens!

I'll fair the humps in with Milliput and see what they look like under primer before deciding the future of this build.

Kev

Well, after much slicing, grinding, filling and sanding, I think I've arrived at a useful end-point as far as the fuselage hump goes:

mnr04Y.jpg

I've obliterated almost all the surface detail on the resin parts, but I'll restore that when it comes to the rescribing stage. In any case, I think I can work with this result, so the build will stumble on to the next disaster! I'll need to cut out the vac canopy and start working on the way it interfaces with the fuselage before I go much further, especially as far as building up the missing fuselage side sections goes.

I've also dealt with the heavily-exaggerated fabric effect on the rudder (essentially by eliminating it completely). Before:

MHBeJc.jpg

After (excuse the fingerprint):

oit54l.jpg

There's a long way to go, with many challenges ahead, but I'm much more confident now about making this conversion work.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

Thanks for noticing John!

Well, a veritable flood of updates on this one at the moment. I'm determined to get a real foothold into this conversion before I allow it to stall again, so I pushed on with getting the vac canopy sorted out. This would be vital to the continued viability of the build, so I needed to know if I could make it work. I'm pleased to say I did! Here's some shots of the vac canopy taped into position:

0yyx97.jpg

el9ret.jpg

TzwQ55.jpg

This is the result of an afternoon's worth of cutting, sanding and test-fitting. The windscreen is the kit part. I'll install some small tabs on the forward fuselage section, where the vac part meets the remaining kit part. This should aid in fitment and join strength, as the vac canopy is very thin. It's also not very clear, so I'm hoping a dip in floor polish will rehabilitate it sufficiently.

You can also see clearly the missing fuselage side sections that need to be built up to match the new canopy line. Once that's been done, the rest of the build should be relatively straightforward!

Kev

Kev,

You're a braver man than I! Good stuff, but looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Thanks Mike! But to be honest, I always thought the canopy was the deal-breaker on this one, and if I got that right, the rest should be relatively easy. I just need to decide whether I replace the dodgy wheel wells on this kit. If I decide to, then there'll be plenty of opportunities to really stuff things up!

Kev

This looks fantastic Kev. It's great watching you walk the minefield so I can follow safely when I do my build wink.gif

Thanks Jim. I'd caution you (and everybody else!) to be very careful about following anything I do! But, in the name of progress, here are the fuselage side panels in place:

zkSbpd.jpg

aPbtxz.jpg

I just need to fair those in with some Milliput, then I'll create a small mounting ledge on the inner face of each for the canopy to adhere to when the time comes. It will also help ensure the canopy follows the contours of the fuselage. After that, I'll start working on the internals.

Kev