Me109 E-1 Arno Zimmermann 7./JG54

nmayhew

thx for that Matt - i might experiment later on next week with that (friends over from Czech tomorrow, so no modelling for a while)

anyway, update time:

more cockpit stuff done, and mostly fiddly but simple enough if you are patient :rolleyes:

a little cutting...

db303829.jpg

a little folding...(if you do not posess one of these little fold tools you do not know what you are missing)

a17ddec3.jpg

and voila...

18d35e36.jpg

one of my cats (Spitfire) didn't seem too interested, but kept me company nonetheless...

ab3d7dd2.jpg

does anyone know how many pics i can upload in 1 post???

anyway...

adding some more bits - no idea how visible they will be, and i'm not working from plans or anything, just a hotch-potch of photos i've found...

d20113be.jpg

d9ee3d96.jpg

a quick test fit...

a1f97e22.jpg

3e3d5ce1.jpg

i chopped the oxygen holey thingy down to size, per advice i've seen on Arc and (sshhh don't say it ) Hyperscale

f9f29c7e.jpg

Spitfire asking for food...

c20d3615.jpg

and back to the modelling!!!

the seat seemed to be sitting too high, so i had to sand down a couple of "ridges" (if anyone is doing this build and wants part numbers etc of problem buts let me know)

here it def looks wrong:

5be03d2d.jpg

so some sanding...

18c66766.jpg

PE and brass rod combo...

47bb52a0.jpg

the other panel finished...

fee056cd.jpg

and one last test fit (it was bloody tight!!!) - i attached the double wheel thingy to the cockpit wall, not to the gizmo on the floor ie i did not follow kit instructions here, as i was doubtful of fit

anyway, seems to look ok:

b0ddc917.jpg

that's all for now

hope you like it

N

Very nice work Nick! All those details are really coming together.

does anyone know how many pics i can upload in 1 post???

If you're uploading directly to LSP, the per-post limit is 100KB, so you can put in as many as you like, as long as the total file size doesn't exceed that figure. If you're linking your images from somewhere else, there shouldn't be any limit at all.

Kev

thx for your comments both

Kevin: i was linking direct from Photobucket and i tried to do the whole lot in 1 post and it blew a fuse!!

not a prob though, as i know for next time and will break it up accorindingly

right, off to watch some tv!!!

;)

Great work nice details lovely cat show's the same intrest in modeling work like mine cats.

I use patex super strong glue it is flexibel and when dry you can cut a way the glue that is too much.

If i use super glue I take a little rod 1.mm and dip it in the bottle and use that to get it in little place's

johan

ok, update time...i did this stuff a week ago but have been away for a bit so haven't had the chance to do the upload etc etc

this pic enables you to see the "chopped down" oxygen regulator a bit better (although i took the picture from the wrong side by mistake :lol: )

IMG_5479.jpg

and the cockpit walls glued into the fuselage...

IMG_5485.jpg

i then got round to looking at the chin and radiator etc

i read on fank crenshaw's arc build there were problems here

the fuselage seems to go together ok without it (i cannot recommend the clamps highly enough btw):

IMG_5472.jpg

i filed the ridge of the sub assembly off to make placement a bit easier in the chin "basin" - the are grooves on the fuselage side which still enable correct alignment

IMG_5478.jpg

and the sub assembly was ready for test fit

IMG_5495.jpg

and it seemed to go in ok

IMG_5483.jpg

however the front of the fuselage opening for the sub assembly should have straight sides on the inside, but the kit part (the fuselage half itself) is curved

so i built the sides up with a bit of sheet styrene, sanded them then added some liquid putty and repeated the process

not sure the pic shows it, but this simple solution should make things a bit more realistic:

IMG_5498.jpg

Hi there,

The PE looks great. You're doing a lovely job and all painted up it will look amazing.

If you do decide to use CA for gluing PE you could try using a clean 'endodontic K File'. You local dentist should have some used number 10 or 15's which he/she can sling your way. You can deposit quite small amounts this way. Tip courtesy of Jeff Herne.

Cheers Matty

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

after a week of not being able to do anything because of work commitments, i finally managed to get some stuff done today

first up, Spitfire had to move to make way for Messerschmitt!

IMG_5545.jpg

here is another couple of shots of the thin fillets i put in the nose to make the intake / cooler area look a little better once everything is closed up:

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

i then got on to painting the cockpit interior...detail work after going to the gym and doing weights is not great - my hands were shaking - but i tired to combine realistic colours with adding a little "life" to what looked a little drab.

surprisingly, i cannot find a comprehensive colour call out for all the cockpit bits (or indeed decent pics in the first place); if anyone has one, it would be useful for future builds.

anyway, first the paint...

IMG_5584.jpg

the dry brushing was with Tamiya - looks a bit mad in the photo but not too bad in reality

IMG_5583.jpg

IMG_5585.jpg