Mitsubishi J8M1

Ooooooh yes, Rigor.....starting July 1st. I'm doing a 6 month 'blow-out' of kit building to get it outta my system, then for the rest of the year it's gonna be a free-for-all. I tremble in anticipation. <_<

Okay, this is where I got to on Sunday night after the last post. Whipped the elves with a wet noodle to get all the putty sloughed off, and added a few 'thingys'. Just got off work, and I'm getting ready to lay down some paint on this boomerang looking gizmo. Got the canopy all smoothed out ready for vacuforming,...and added some control linkages(that I cut off the bottom when it WAS an Me-163) to the wing-tops and rudder. Whoohoo! :lol:

Short walk-around time before paint. I put some blue tape on to mimic the canopy framing. View from the top. Wanted to show some un-painted shots to show how skanky it looks. heh heh.

post-4413-1242716626.jpg

post-4413-1242716646.jpg

Sheesh, can't believe how much I modified this critter....and it still looks like an Me-163. <_< Bottom view.

post-4413-1242716783.jpg

Crappy pic, but this shows how I re-profiled the front skid and the area right above it.

post-4413-1242716796.jpg

Pumped up about doing some painting, so I'm not going to ramble on like the village idiot tonight. :lol: Rear view.

post-4413-1242717030.jpg

Last view before paint. Been working on my 'kaeru' frog insignia, and I should have the decals printed up tomorrow. Was going to have a cool geisha girl 'nose art' with "Wow,...hot stuff" or sumthin original like that in kanji symbols on the nose but I just couldn't fit it in. Too small,...Blast!!!! <_< Friday will be the 2-week mark for this build, and that's usually the 'kiss of death' and the end of my attention-span for a kit-build....so I gotta get on the stick. (to be a model on my work-bench...errr living room floor actually,...is to lead a very precarious life.) he he.

post-4413-1242717149.jpg

Moving on. Ya'll wanna see my latest contraption for vacuforming stuff? Didn't think so, but this is 'plan A' for vacuforming my canopy. Made a box outta scrap wood, and paint stir sticks with some framing of angled aluminum and a dryer vent cover for a grill.(I think that's what it's supposed to be? :lol: ) Anywho, cost me $10. Acetate sheet, or plastic, goes into the hinged framework that's flipped open in this pic...and gets sandwiched there and held in place with some wingnuts scattered around the edges. I'll post more pics later. Got a 1 gallon wet/dry shop vac on sale for another $15, and in this view...and electric skillet of some kind to heat the plastic. I've got a cloths iron to do this too, but it's 'child-proof' and tends to shut off automatically when I flip it over to heat the plastic from the undersides. Drat! That's 'plan B' anyway. Got all the way to 'plan Z' concocted,...which is to heat the plastic with my 'Butler inspired kitchen blow-torch' and smashing it over my master. Crude but effective.

If this doesn't work, at least I've got something to vacuum up my shavings and grill some burgers with whilst contemplating my next move, eh?! <_< More pics as things progress. Russ

post-4413-1242718490.jpg

OK, popping back on for the last pics of the night. Got the darn thing primered in some colors that are close to what I have a pic of this thing in the non-public Mitsubishi Museum. They found the remnants of this in a cave a couple of years ago(along with a Jake), and finished restoring it. Can't read kanji, so I don't know who to credit this to. :blink:

Check out those cannon barrels, eh. Discovered this DID have 30mm cannons(HO-105's?), and I guess they needed those big ole hunkin muzzle brakes. Heading says J8M1, and the ?-200 woulda been the army version. I've seen it written J-200, and Ki-200. Dunno. :blink: This is how the factory that made em restored theirs.

post-4413-1242727813.jpg

I ain't gonna do mine like that though. Just made for some cool primer colors, and I wanted to see what it'd look like. Here's the 'frog' without all the putty showing, and a primer on the canopy to make sure it's smooth. Has potential.

post-4413-1242727949.jpg

Here's the undersides.

post-4413-1242728043.jpg

And flipped back up with the canopy on it. I sanded it a bit undersize to compensate for the thickness of the clear acetate when it gets vacuformed..

post-4413-1242728083.jpg

View from the rear, and last pic of the night. I'm stopping here. Man, I'm thinking dark green would be sweetness, but I'll sleep on it to decide on a mottle/dark green/swirly something camo later. Wings are wood, so a NMF would be odd.

Hmmmmm. :blink: Anyway,...more pics tomorrow night! Later, Russ

post-4413-1242728272.jpg

Russ, I'm sending you a stack of my models that I intend to build one day. Please work them to your regular standards and return them. :blink: I figure this will take you about two months at the rate you're going :blink: At the very least you can give a crash course on speed building, we could play it in slow motion to see how you do it. This project looks great and any paint scheme would work so don't hold back.

Hey Russ! I have to disagree with you. It does not look like a 163 anymore. You have really transformed it nicely. That green is kinda cool in a sickly way. Maybe like the pink that they originally wanted to paint the F-117. Too cool but beware the 21 day monster!!!

Matt