PCM/Cammett Spitfire XVI

dennismcc

For you UK LSPers I can recommend the service from Cammetts, super fast delivery time (one day), this was for the complete package of the conversion kit and a PCM Spitfire IXe, what really blew me away was the decals that I found in the box, not only was there a comprehensive set for the conversion but the Mk IX decals were there as well, this is very handy as I do have a few more Spitfires to build! I haven't even looked at the resin parts yet as Jen pretty well covered that with her articles over on BM and in SAM, some photos of the decals.

Cheers

Den

The Mk XVI decals

all006.jpg

and the kit Mk IX decals

all007.jpg

all008.jpg

Nice!

Are those SAAF decals for a Dk grey over light blue scheme?

Hi Perry, they certainly are, "Supermarine Spitfire Mk. XVIe, 5621, South African Air Force", you are definately spoiled for choice with this conversion, 6 different decal options, RCAF, two RAF (one overall Light Blue, SL271), Belgian, SAAF, and Hellenic Air Force. It is a complete package which is a nice change as normally markings are the thing that stops me building conversions.

Cheers

Den

Looks very nice except the fact that the RCAF AU-J SL721 decal option is missing the stencil of the pilot's wife name "Dorothy II" which is kind of important, and that the plane was a clipped wing Mk XVIe isn't in the instructions, so a modeller might build it as a straight winged Mk XVIe. These kinds of details are unique to this particular airframe. Only an opinion, but the decal art person might have used the warbird version of this plane to get the info, as there is a real flying Mk XVI Spit coded AU-J serialed SL721 at the Vintage Wings of Canada.

Cheers

Brad

• 3 weeks later...
Of the 6 decal options which ones were clipped wing and which ones were standard wing?

Thanks,

Steve

They don't tell you!!! That is one thing I wish the kit did a better job of: What variations go with which markings!!! As a matter of fact, I don't think they hardly mention using the clipped wings in any of the kits, IXc, IXe, or XVI...

Now from my other ref's it appears the Belgium one is clipped. I don't remember if any of the others were for sure although it seems a lot of the post war birds were. I am sure some of the Spit aficionado's here will have more info. And I will add to it (if I remember) when I get home and have ref's in hand...

Here is the notes from my review ( http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/Af...itXVI/spit.html ):

"One of the highlights of the kit or conversion set is the decals. A 7 1/2" x 13 1/4" sheet printed by Cartograph, the decals look great and provide a wide range of choices. These choices include 2 RAF squadrons, 1 RCAF squadron, plus markings for aircraft of the South African, Hellenic, and Belgian air forces. Most schemes listed are for Ocean Grey or Ocean Grey and Dark Green with the exception of Air Marshall Sir James Robb’s Light Blue aircraft. The original IXe decals are also provided so there will be many decals for the spares box! (Note: The decal sheet doesn't fit on my scanner, so I have just shown was does fit, missing are some more roundels and stencilling.)

With research many other schemes are possible for the post-WWII aircraft of other nations including the all-silver ‘Black GE-D’ with clipped wingtips of the Belgian Air Force. Greece also stripped their Spitfires of paint sometime post war. Other notes on decal schemes: SAM Publication’s Modeller’s Datafile on Merlin Powered Spitfires states South African machines were originally in standard RAF camouflage with revised roundels. Later (1950) most machines were repainted in a Dark Green over Grey scheme. Also in the Datafile, the Belgium air force aircraft ‘White MN*J’ is listed as a LF machine and therefore would have clipped wingtips."

Looks very nice except the fact that the RCAF AU-J SL721 decal option is missing the stencil of the pilot's wife name "Dorothy II" which is kind of important, and that the plane was a clipped wing Mk XVIe isn't in the instructions, so a modeller might build it as a straight winged Mk XVIe. These kinds of details are unique to this particular airframe. Only an opinion, but the decal art person might have used the warbird version of this plane to get the info, as there is a real flying Mk XVI Spit coded AU-J serialed SL721 at the Vintage Wings of Canada.

Cheers

Brad

From "Spitfire the Canadians" it is also shown as having the serial TB886 and no red indian marking. I think you are correct in that they used the Vintage Wings bird as documentation. As a side note the pic of the real thing

http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?a=40&lang=en-CA scroll to almost bottom of page shows the spinner as being quite worn also.

James

I'm just finishing off my XVI , and i've got to say the conversion is an excellent piece of moulding , it really goes together with only a little more effort that a normal XI -

I managed to cut the kit fisalage pieces with a pair of sharp scissors, and cheal up time was less than 10 minutes - so simple!

I'd also like to echo what's been said re the decals , a really wonderful varied selection , I just wish I'd used some of them :huh:

I'll post some pices of my finished one in the next couple of weeks

I found a picture of J MR and it is NOT a clipped wing bird. How come both AU J and J MR are both SL721?

http://www.spitfiresociety.demon.co.uk/spitpix/sl721_l.jpg

err...just diving in and hoping not to get shot down, but the pic is of a modern bird (note the Top Gun helmet! :lol: ), so it could be "any old" Spit of the same marque, in much the same way that the Battle of Britain Flight aircraft are often churned into "different" ones...

are there any pics of the original out there?

interested, as i have just dived in at Cammett for a IXc, a IXe with XVI conversion, and a Ta-152

if the missus finds out i'm a dead man. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Adendum

Something that also should be noted is that the serial SL721 does not reflect the actual WWII serial of AU-J. The WWII Mk XVI Spitfire coded AU-J was flown by F/L William Harper of 421 RCAF Squadron was serial TB886 and not SL721. This belonged to Spitfire JMR. Here is the story behind it and it's history.

http://www.jerrybilling.com/Jerry%20Billin...ire%20SL721.htm

Brad

Cheers

Brad

Hi,

If you are referring to the original WWII AU-J then yes there are. See this website:

http://www.jerrybilling.com/Jerry%20Billin...ire%20SL721.htm

You are indeed correct, AU-J serial SL721 refers to a current warbird flying with Vintage Wings of Canada.

Cheers

Brad

err...just diving in and hoping not to get shot down, but the pic is of a modern bird (note the Top Gun helmet! :lol: ), so it could be "any old" Spit of the same marque, in much the same way that the Battle of Britain Flight aircraft are often churned into "different" ones...

are there any pics of the original out there?

interested, as i have just dived in at Cammett for a IXc, a IXe with XVI conversion, and a Ta-152

if the missus finds out i'm a dead man. :lol:

Hi Hagar,

Yes I sat in the cockpit of the warbird SL721 during a visit to Mike Potter's hangar. Quite nice. And you are correct regarding TB886 and the red indian crest.

Brad

From "Spitfire the Canadians" it is also shown as having the serial TB886 and no red indian marking. I think you are correct in that they used the Vintage Wings bird as documentation. As a side note the pic of the real thing

http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?a=40&lang=en-CA scroll to almost bottom of page shows the spinner as being quite worn also.

James