Bf 109F ll/JG54 Russia 1941

bsarnoffca

Guest Vincent

Hi

The "squared" wheel wheel was introduced with the G2 version because it was planned to use an additional gear door that required a straight line to articulate. My Me109G2 Spare parts manual (october 1942) has no less than 6 pages to describe this installation. For what ever reason (I suspect it wasn't reliable given that it was operated by a cable) it was never installed on production aircrafts. The installation that was designed for the K4 was totally different.

In contrast, my F Spare parts manual (April 1941) consistently shows round wheel wells and no provision for the additionnal doors.

I'm pretty confident that the F series all the way to the F4 did not use these squared wheel wells BUT it was common practise with Me109F and G to repair airframe with the parts under current production so it is not impossible to find repaired F2 or F4 with squared wheel wells. Note also that to repair a F with G2 wings, it was mandatory to replace both wings as the slats were different from the F version (levers on F version and rollers on G version)

Hope this clarifies things a bit !

Best

Vincent

Mark,

Send me your email address and I'll provide numerous pictures of F-2 and F-4's with both round and straight edge wheel well inserts. Everyone's a resident expert however, when it comes to the Bf 109. I'll provide you with pictures if you would like. There are some strong indicators differentiating the F2 and F4 models and few that come to mind being the empennage external stiffeners added for the harmonic vibration fatigue cracking and the lower oil radiator scoop. Hence the deeper scoop for the F4 but again there are exceptions to the rule here. Any way if interested let me know. before you think you've been dogged it's always good to see additional facts. I think I even have an 8th Staffle, JG 54 aircraft picture or two.

Regards,

Troy

Guest Vincent

Hi

I'm also sorry to say that you can't use Radu's parts for a F wheel well. On the F, the canvas was all around the wheel so if you wish to depict the wheel well without the canvas you should see the entire wing structure :

31010.stbd.wheelwell2.jpg

31010.stbd.wheelwell.jpg

Be carefull however that the picture show a F4 wing with GM-1 fill points and valves (and a square wheel well that may have associated with the GM-1?)

Source 109 Lair

Vincent

Guest Vincent

After going through my 109 F pictures, it seems that both styles of wheel wells can be found regardless of the version. Now the interesting thing : Structurally speaking, the F wing was closer to the E wing than the G wing. And the E had squared wheel weels but of different design than the G2 wing. Could it be that the F version started with squared wells before moving to round ones ?. I'm wondering that because when looking at the panel structure of the round wheel well, it is obvious that it is just a 2 panels over the same structure as the squared wells...

Best

Vincent

After going through my 109 F pictures, it seems that both styles of wheel wells can be found regardless of the version. Now the interesting thing : Structurally speaking, the F wing was closer to the E wing than the G wing. And the E had squared wheel weels but of different design than the G2 wing. Could it be that the F version started with squared wells before moving to round ones ?. I'm wondering that because when looking at the panel structure of the round wheel well, it is obvious that it is just a 2 panels over the same structure as the squared wells...

Best

Vincent

That's certainly what I've read somewhere before Vincent, though I can't for the life of me remember my source. Lynn Ritger is a member here, but doesn't visit often enough to see threads like this. Pity, as I'm sure he'd know.

Kev

• 1 month later...

Okay, finally ready to add some progress shots. Sorry to anyone who I haven't responded to. As far as the square vs round wheel wells, in "Luftwaffe Colors Vol 2 Sec 3 Barbarossa June-Decenber 1941", there are numerous pictures of F2 and F4 with square wheel wells, even some with factory call signs. This is before the G was introduced. Also there are many pictures of the armored windscreen on F2 and3's which some books claim was not introduced until the F4....so You can't beat pictures.

Here's the paint scheme I'm doing;

post-453-1236562035.jpg

An over all shot. I thought this scheme would be very hard to paint but I found if I used fresh paint, low pressure (around 5psi) and was very light on the air it worked pretty well. From photos many of the planes were painted pretty rough some even looked like they'd been brushed rather than sprayed.

post-453-1236562649.jpg

The engine isn't installed yet. There's still lot's of work to the firewall. I'm putting together Radu's "F" canopy kit. It is a real beauty. About as close the the real thing as possible. I'll include those pics next round.