Spitfire mk xiv...

Butler

Edgar sent me a whole box of goodies including a fuselage, wings, canopy and some tailplane conversion parts so i'm in business now.

I have to say that i'd already found everybody of this forum extremely generous with their knowledge and help, and this box

from Edgar just tops it off!

I've cut both fuselages along their length and glued the mkv top onto the mk22 bottom. The two kits are a near perfect fit, the only difference being the thickness of the plastic. The blue strips in the photo are dynotape - this holds the halves together a bit more securely than masking tape i've found.

The fit between the two kits is so good that once glued, i'll keep the left and right parts separate and make them in the same way as the original model. Hope that makes sense!.

For the wings i've decided to keep the Revel versions as I don't think they need much more work than any other wing, plus they have a nice 'solid' feel that makes scribing more pleasant! I've removed the wing tip and replaced it with the thinner mkv part (which fit with un-nerving perfection :rolleyes: )

post-4669-1228058010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a bit more slow progress with this in the last couple of weeks. I've made the cockpit quite basic with the addition of a couple of scratchbuilt bits, a bluetac seat cushion and some PE belts. The cockpit parts fit into the hybrid fuselage with no problems at all!

post-4669-1229875897.jpg

The cockpit is now safely enclosed in the fuselage halves. I haven't installed the cockpit floor (with control column) yet in case it gets damaged when sanding.

I hope this picture shows the combination of parts here - the brown is Mkv, the blue is Mk22 and the yellow is a resin fin conversion part Edgar sent me (the grey is filler!)

post-4669-1229876152.jpg

One wing is nearly finished. I've added the cannon bulge and moved one cannon loction closer inboard. This wing also has it's radiator fitted and the bottom now needs scribing.

This looks a mess because you can see some of the filled panel lines along with the new ones! I hope in the photo you can see that i've removed the revell wing-root panel line and moved it inwards.

I'm doing one complete wing followed by the other. I know this is not the most economic way time wise, but I want to be able to see the differences between the two once one is finished!

post-4669-1229876496.jpg

Here's the same wing with a blow over of automotive primer and the original Mk22 wing alongside. I'm going to model the plane flaps-down; you can't see in the pic but the pop-up flap is open on the top surface of the wing.

Hopefully this shows the panel lines a little clearer

post-4669-1229876704.jpg

Wow Butler

I reckon you're firmly in Russ territory here - both in terms of the 'hack and slash' style of this build and the relatively high speed at which you're performing the work. Great stuff and very entertaining as a watched build.

Looking forward to seeing more of this come together.

Matt

Oh WOW, Oh WOW, OMG!!! I really must wander over into this area of the forum more often, I've completely missed this build. Butler,...you are The Man! :P This is exactly how I was going to try this conversion, using more of the Mk.22/24 parts than I did. How cool to see you trying this! Hurray!!! I didn't know squat about Spitfires when I started my conversion, so I ended up going down another path.(also didn't get reference material, or decent plans until I was 1/2way done. :P ) That was my first build here at LSP, and I shudder now that I realize how much 'cheek' I was showing even ATTEMPTING such a thing. :blink: I was such a 'shy young lad' then. he he

Blast, if I wasn't going to be putting most of the Griffon nose on a P-51 racing Mustang, I'd have to try this again. Nice to know about the wing...I wish I knew then, what I know now about Spits and I would've used more parts. I'm actually thinking of retro-grading the parts I have left from my Mk.22/24 back into a MERLIN powered Spitty. Something like a MK.XVI, with a bubble canopy? Hmmmm.

Looking real sweet on this build here, dude! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. ;) Cool, Russ

• 3 months later...

Right - back to work on this I think!

I'm currently working on the port wing in exactly the same way as before, only i'll open up the cannon bay. I'll post some pics once there's something to show :rolleyes: