Spitfire mk xiv...

Butler

Just as an addition, for anyone else considering this conversion, we've now discovered written (and photographic) evidence that the flaps, on the Seafire 47, were deeper than any other Griffon-engined variant, so it looks as though, somehow, Matchbox made their wings from a combination of drawings, and that's why the radiator housings are too short. As the only (as far as I know) 47 is now in the U.S., I can't get at it, but I'm wondering if this could also account for the extra-wide (at the t/e) wingroot fairings. Anyone, over the pond, got access (and a tape measure?)

Edgar

A quick question for those in the know:

Should the radiators be installed parallel with the ground (a.) or parallel with the dihedral (b.) ?

Most drawings seem to show them parallel with the dihedral but i've seem a photo where the radiator is at an angle to the wing.

Quick drawing (exagerated)

post-4669-1240332906.jpg

Thanks Erik, that's a handy photo :o

I've made the radiators now from a mixture of sources. The majority of the radiators are made from a pair of resin versions that Edgar sent me. Looking at my references, the matchbox radiators were a better match for the shape of the rear end so I used small sections of these glued on. I'll make the flaps out of beer can at a later date. I had to square off the intakes of the resin parts as they had sloped rather than square angles - 1 second with my kitchen blowtorch was enough to get them easily malleable and re-shaped :)

I then extended the height of the radiators by around 3mm with plastic card and gave them a bottom. The radiators will be installed in their original position, but the extra height allows them to be recessed into the wing. The actual radiator was simulated by scoring some vertical lines into styrene sheet (the verticals seem to be the most obvious in the radiator matrix).

Here's a pic to show what i'm going on about :rolleyes: The beige is resin, blue Matchbox Mk22 and white styrene card.

post-4669-1240438378.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress with this now. The wings are now constructed and mostly scribed - i've been having a play with Radu's mini riveter to put some detail on the surface. This is an excellent tool and i'm really pleased with the results, it goes on really easily provided you use masking tape as a straight edge.

There's a couple of rivet mistakes here if you look, mostly from where panels i've scribed don't quite match with the rivet runs. Feel free to point them out if you spot them (no prizes i'm afraid :) )

post-4669-1241284991.jpg

Cheers Kevin, won't be long :ph34r:

I've mated the wings with the fuselage now - this was a real pain in the behind and needed six hands to hold it all in place while it dried. To make matters worse my superglue was refusing to set in any reasonable time :angry:

All done now though and i resisted chucking it out of my window!

I've taken a quick photo to compare the mk22 shape with the reworked shape

Before

post-4669-1227481288.jpg

After

post-4669-1241554967.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm being really slow on this one for some reason, I need to pull my finger out and get some paint on!

Anyway, for the meantime I've attached the cowling leaving the engine exposed. The Griffon in the Matchbox kit isn't too bad, but it is slightly undersize to allow for the non-scale thickness of the kit cowling. When putting the engine together i've shimmed it to add height and width, i'll add a lot more detail later.

post-4669-1242765355.jpg

And from the other side. I know that the rocker cover bulge isn't quite the right shape but I can live with that. I'd rather a slightly off shape than a bodged attempt at changing it :P

post-4669-1242765512.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The unexpected roasting sunshine we had here over the weekend allowed me to get all the colours on in one day, the paint baking hard in about 20 mins :lol:

This is only my second go with an airbrush, and my first try with enamels. I have to say I found them 10 times easier to use than the acylic paint I used on my Sea Venom.

post-4669-1243524454.jpg

I've added some roundels from the MDC RAF sheet along with some of the Mk22/24 stencils from the revell kit. I'll probably save the Mk22/24 roundels for my Meteor at a later date.

For the squadron letters i've sprayed a piece of clear decal sheet with 'sky' and I plan to cut out the letters from this :lol:

post-4669-1243524648.jpg

Now i've turned my attentions to the landing gear. Here's a quick photo showing a dry-fit of the various aluminium tubes and rod i've used. Once these were glued up they are rock solid - more to come later :lol:

post-4669-1243524995.jpg

Cool Butler! This is turning out REAL nice. Can't wait to see how your squadron code decal experiment works out. Always wanted to try that. Can't wait to see the next set of progress pics dude! Later, Russ