Junkers 88 A1 detail photos

Good morning David,

and of course everybody else here! :blink: Your last picture made it clear, i just fixed this part where you show it. Had to cut of one of the locating pins because of a little bit pressure that always squeezed it out of the hole it should be glued into. Can´t be seen anyway.

Looking at steps 71 to 73 i always felt a kind of puzzled without knowing why. You are right: Revell shows the landing gear to be glued into the wrong nacelle! I built mine where it belongs, but looking at the instructions there was always something strange.

Thanks for finally making it clear to me. Yesterday i wrote to Revell on part D127a. I´ll inform them on the incorret placement of the landing gear in the instructions. Hope they can correct this in future versions before the go to make an other new kit in this scale, like a Ju 52, or was it something else mentioned here some posts before? My shitty IQ of 0,5... :unsure:

Guttorm,

Your photos are, as always, a great source of detail seldom seen elsewhere and I look forward to more of any aircraft in your museum. I have a question though regarding the excellent restoration of your He-111. The swastika on the tail overlaps the rudder but I thought that this placement only applied to non-combat machines. On front line airplanes the marking would be more forward wouldn't it?

More detail photos of the wheelwell. Bear in mind that this is a BMW powered aircraft and so there are likely to be differences on the A-1.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

I am particularly interested to know what the 'black tank' is? I guess it would be the oil-tank. Can you, Guttorm, comment on this. Is it the same as in the A-1, and does it have all those bolts on it? What colour should it be?

I also notice that the actuators for the main (large) doors are visible in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pic and could be added to the model. There isn't quite enough detail shown, though. Do you have a drawing?

That's all I have on the undercarriage.

cheers

David

i looked at the pictures and i am not sure what " black tank" you mean..there is a square box there but that si not in the A1..there is a smaller box in the A1 ( the colours on these pics are ofcourse wrong ) and this box is juts to cover up electrical connections. i also commented on the struts for the main wheel doors further up and the technical drawings i posted. the struts and positions can be seen on those drawings !

The oiltank is located under the main panel you see in the wing itself.. ( with the small red label on )

on this picture you can see the box in the A1

post-5311-1232386895.jpg

and PLEASE dont paint the undercarrigelegs green as the drawings says in the modell.. they are RLM 77 ( light grey )

here is a detail shoot of one of the legs..note the yellow stripe

i have seen atleast 30 different Ju 88 undercarriage legs..some restored ( some wrong ) all original legs i have seen are all the same light grey 77

I am a little bit puzzled on this, Guttorm, as my instructions tell me to paint the landing gear and the gear bay in RLM 02 Grey?!?

Looking on the paint chips in Merricks "Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings" Vol. 2 the chip on RLM 02 is named "Grau", looks like a, let´s say greenish grey.

I will paint my landing gear legs in RLM 77 (hope, Gunze makes this tone...). You are the man, you have the real things at hand. That´s enough for me.

The wheel bay is, how to say, a silver or aluminium tone with a kind of yellow lacquer on? Any hint how to do this with a model paint?

Best regards,

Thomas

the instruction on the colour of the legs are wrong when compared to our originals and we also go for RLM 77 on the legs !!

about the bomb bay..you are correct about the colour there..what i willd o is that tomorow i will bring home a part with that type of paint and scan it here so you can see the correct colour ( there are some strips that are loose that was used to cover up small holes that i will bring with me so you can see )

i dont know why they made all the colours they did in the drawings like the greenish legs,but that colourchart was made without our co-operation

i dont know what type paint you use.. but perhaps try a small mix of silver into RLM 77 ??

i dont know what type paint you use.. but perhaps try a small mix of silver into RLM 77 ??

Good morning Guttorm!

I am afraid that adding a little bit of silver to RLM 77 grey will not give give the yellowish silver tone needed for the main wheel bays (not bomb bay) as we can see in the pictures. I use Gunze paints. Maybe there is a kind of yellow clear cote i could give over a silver base paint.

i have just read through all of the 26 pages of this thread and i thank you gutorm for all of your efforts

i have had the kit for a couple of weeks now and have taken a peek in the box and must say its gorgeous. i never thought i would build a propeller aircraft again, i wanted to concentrate on vietnam and later jets. but what happens? revell does a kit of my alltime favorite WW II plane :angry: :lol:

so i first dug up my reference from my first life as a modeler in the 80ies and before. i was doing a couple of 1/72 Ju 88s then, Cs Rs and Gs out of the old revellC and the italerei 188 kits (still got these, not one finished :P )

i remembered an old quaterly magazine called "flugzeug" from germany. in some issues of 1985/1986 there are a lot of fullpage drawings in explicite detail (72nd scale) of all C,R nad G variants, with all the details of the different versions explained. the author is Michael Merker and they seem to be researched very accurately. i understand this is copyrighted material, so i cant just post these. would you be interrested in some scans of these to compare them with whatever plans you have? it would really interrest me how accurate they are.

this brings me to my project:

i cant leave good enough alone and want to convert my 88 to a C2. you said you have one? :blink:

i ordered the nose and front gondola part from AIMS, but that alone wont do the conversion. do you have pics from the inside of the cockpit of the C2? particulary the part where the three MG 17 and one MG FF or MG 151/20 are visible?

as far as i could find out, apart from the steel nose, this was changed from the A-1:

1) the front part of the gondola had the bombsight removed and a different fairing but still no weapons and the rear firing MG 15 in place

2) the MG 15 was removed from the front windshield, but not on the very early versions?

3) were the divebrakes removed?

4) the starboard window behind the nose was changed to a panel with three coolingvents for the MG 17s

5) below the cockpit on the stbd side there was a little hatch for flares and an outlet for the signal pistol

6) the other two little windows on the bottom and the port side, behind the nose all stayed in place (different to the C4 and later versions)

7) there was a single slot for cartridge ejection beside the gondola on the bottom

i want to model an early NJG 2 bird out of gilze-rijen in 1941 (R4+KL)

i know these are a lot of questions, sorry

thanx

karl

could you send me a PM and i will see what can be done

first..our C-2 is badely damaged in the nose section..so most internal parts are missing from looters over the years in the mountain..

but to some of your questions

front part of gondola was the same on this C-2 as A1 ( this C-2 was originally A1 and converted ) this we know from good pictures in the mountain ) but bombsight was ofcourse removed..same with divebreaks !

It had a single rear fiering Mg 15 ( i will doublecheck with pics in the museum about the front fireing Mg 15..but i think it was removed )

question 4. the small window was just covered up with a plate and it was made a accesspanel in it ( angleled )

the windowm on the other side i think remained as a window but this i will doublecheck !!

question 5. you are correct !!

7..this i can take pics of so you cans ee

but PM me on my personal emailaddress and i will send you some pics

GF