1/24 Bf 109-E, Bandai & Airfix kit opinions/reviews?

gregv

hello all

looking to build a 1/24 109E, and I was wondering how the Bandai & Airfix kits stack up against eachother, as well as how the kits are individually. I did build the Airfix kit about twenty years ago, and I remember it being not too bad, but I've never see the Bandai offering in the flesh. I did just take a look at my Bandai George, and while it is slightly rudimentary the detail did seem very nice overall, despite the sink marks.

How are they accuracy-wise etc.? Any kit reviews kicking around?

Any info appreciated!

Well, I'd always go withthe Airfix 109, because it looks better to me, and has alternative parts, for differnet variations.

Not sure if of any use, but that nice Fred gentleman out of Fotocut does an etch set for the Emil in that scale. It's not cheap, but it's really nice looking :)

Patrick

hello all

thanks for the responses, seems like the Airfix kit is the way to go. Seeing as how I'd like to do an E-3, this is doubly so.

I was not aware that anybody made an aftermarket PE set; does Fotocut have a website? I did find a review/preview of it though:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=...ent&id=1075

Has anybody had any practical experience with this set?

Any other comments on weak areas/required fixes with either of these kits most appreciated.

cheers

greg v.

The Airfix kit is the one to go for. The Bandai kit's fuselage is badly shaped and too short, enough IMO to be more than noticeable visually. Also, the wheels & tires are less than half the width they should be. The cockpit seems to be part E and G and some fantasy thrown in for good measure. That said, the Bandai kit has a nice prop & hub though. I found one at a garage sale. I compared it to the Airfix kit and had a good laugh. :blink:

eduard does some excellent pre coloured instruments and bezels---placards and seat belts----if you 'close up the panels the 109 is a good kit--iv'e made a good few over the years---if you expose the engine you will have fit problems with cowlings. the undercart needs some extra detailing(wheel wells i mean mostly) lovely kit like all the old airfix ladies(except 190---brrrrrrrrrrr.)!

go for it mate,

cheers,

dave.

definitely planning on having it "all buttoned up", as I hate ill-fitting removable access panels, and quite frankly I'm just not skilled enough to pull off en engine properly.

I had thought of using the Eduard instruments/bezels/harnesses etc., and I was wondering if their placard set for the 109-G series would work as well? They must be fairly close? At any rate, I'm doing it up in full late-war Swiss markings, so the interiors were somewhat different anyways.

Any thoughts on any aftermarket exhausts that would work?

cheers

greg v.

P.S. what was the problem with the 1/24 190?

definitely planning on having it "all buttoned up", as I hate ill-fitting removable access panels, and quite frankly I'm just not skilled enough to pull off en engine properly.

I had thought of using the Eduard instruments/bezels/harnesses etc., and I was wondering if their placard set for the 109-G series would work as well? They must be fairly close? At any rate, I'm doing it up in full late-war Swiss markings, so the interiors were somewhat different anyways.

Any thoughts on any aftermarket exhausts that would work?

cheers

greg v.

P.S. what was the problem with the 1/24 190?

eye of the beholder perhaps greg------i have built all the airfix 'superkits many times over the years ---in my humble opinion this is how i would stack them---i know some will agree--some will disagree 1) stuka 2) spit.(hurri would have been there if not superceded by trumps. exquisite kits). 3) 109 4)mustang 5) 190 just my opinion. dave.

Fotocut does not have a website. There is a price list here: http://www.largescaleplanes.com/lane/FOTOCUT/FOTOCUT.htm . It is a bit out-dated though. Best to get a hold of Fred, who is Fotocut. He goes by 'oletcherfred' here on the site (hope I got that spelling right)!

Thanks, Ray et al.

Your spelling is correct.

Our price list is only out-dated by new additions. Most items are in stock at all times, of course.

A friend is working on a website for Fotocut but it's nowhere near ready.

About the 1/24 109E set(as well as the pother scales): All of these were designed using blueprints/scale drawings from all over the world by a very astute young modeler. The original hand drawings are in 1/6 scale. Big! :P