PCM Spit mk IX

LSP_Ron

I am working away in the hobby room and just noticed this kit doesn't give you the pilots head rest above the seat? any indeas on how I can make a substitute??

Don't! The headrest was deleted during the Mk.V production run, as mod 662, from July 1942, and was substituted with a simple, almost flat, pad. Allegedly it was as a result of pilots seeing colleagues drowned by being dragged under, when the rest snagged on the harness (Paddy Finucane was one victim.)

Edgar

Edgar,

Great info on the headrest, I was already getting ready to add one to mind.

Ron, can't wait to see those weathered pictures.

Here is a duplicate post of mine from another Spitfire thread:

Edgar, Ron, guys,

Not to hijack this thread - but in relation to this build - what are the main differences between a MK V cockpit and a Mk IX cockpit? :rolleyes: Isn't it essentially the same bird in the office but with a different engine, airframe changes? (running for cover - I am definitely NOT a boffin) <_<

Specifically, would the IP, seat, and floor be the same?

Also, is there an equivalent walk-around type book that shows photos of Spitfire Mk IX cockpits that could be recommended?

TIA,

Scott

Ron,

Your Spitfire looks very nice indeed. What did you use for a dull coat. I am running out of Polly Scale in the green bottle and need a replacement since Testors botched the new red jar stuff.

BTW, if I maybe so bold, PCM forgot to include a couple of necessary inclusions in the instructions; first off there is a small narrow inlet, part C5 that goes just above and aft of the exaust on the right side fuselage, it can be seen on the box art. Secondly, the Coffman starter bulge, part C26 on the same fuselage side as the inlet, just forward of the same exhaust. There are etchings on the kit fuselage part for them, but it was omitted in the instructions. These can be added if you wish. Also, what is not mentioned in the instructions, nor do I believe there was provisions for, a fuel cap on top of the nose forward of the windscreen. The box art shows it pefectly. Again very nice job on your Spitfire and nice choice of markings. WC Johnson would be proud.

All the best

Brad

To late Edgar, I added it last night from a piece of sprue tree carved to shape. Thanks Brad, I caught the missing inlet on the upper starboard cowl last night and added it. I did not add the starter bulge as I have photos showing it on the forward cowl and some that dont show it at all.

I am now convinced that it is truely impossible to build a 100% accurate Spit model. Between kits omiting parts on instructions that lead you to beleive other parts were not provided (head rest) to inaccurate reference data. Here is my "proof" the head rest was missing and how I discovered it was missing.

It's on the cut away in my Haynes owners manual (and my main reference)

Spitxsection.jpg

It's in the cockpit of the Old Flying Machines Mk IX as shown in this picture I took at Duxford in Sept but you have to zoom in to see it. (and my insperation to build this kit)

P9050081.jpg

Its clearly shown in this mag cover picture of the same plane

spit2.jpg

and it's also on the box art

pac32005.jpg

There are many items in this build I would not have known had I not asked the experts and would have assumed accurate without ever knowing the difference. The Nav light on the dorsel fuse? almost every photo or cross reference I have has this light shown but some referernces show it missing so I asked. It was deleted for the SN I am making hense I left mine off. The axe in the door being black not red. Of the 10-12 spits I have actually walked up and touched, every one had a red axe.... but they are restorations. Wheel wells? that's a topic that could be its own thread.

I almost wonder if this thread should be re-named the "Spit Mk IX" thread and pinned so others can use it as reference? can this be done? There is allot of very useful info here that would be a shame to see lost in a short time.

Oh yeah, Brad. I completely missed the fuel filler cap being missing. That's frustrating because I know it's supposed to the there along with the two little holes. A complete oversight. It’s even in all my reference info and I still missed it

I am not sure how I could fix that now as it's slightly recessed. You'd almost have to drill a hole the proper diameter then set in a plug that is slightly recessed. I think I'll leave it as is rather then risk wrecking it now. Simply drawing a circle and two holes would look silly.

I used Humbrol matt varnish. It's all I've ever used,

Ron

and for those who had'nt noticed----and a signal lesson (to all of us) not to trust artwork or top class restorations too much--- take a good look at the proportions of both type'B' upper wing and type 'C1' fuselage ---roundels----those, perpetuated onto a model would bring instant criticism. always(i don't mean to preach) check period photos as much as possible and see what is there---not what you think is there.

cheers,

dave.

Ron,

Speaking as nowhere near a Spitfire expert, that looks awesome! You've posted in my build forum so you know I am building the same kit and am now using yours as reference.I think I'll try to find a correct seat belt but I didn't know I needed a correct prop. All the reviews I've ever read about the kit says everything is perfect save the directions forget some stuff. I'm finding out different here but as Dave says, if it looks like a Spitfire and you're happy with it...

6.jpg

And a few pics with my other spits, and I see from the previous photos I have a minor amount of touch up to do yet.

8.jpg

9.jpg

I don't know what to build next. I was going to do my Revel Mk 1 Spit but I don't think I am up for another one just yet. I pulled out my Hase Stuka but I am not sure I'll get past masking all that green house glass? maybe my Kenitic Sabre in RCAF gray/green camo?

Ron

Really nice trio of Spits, Ron! Thanks for the info and all the pics on how to deal with all the potential fit probs. Much appreciated! Really like your style of building, nice & clean....and built the way YOU like 'em. Cool. :P Russ