This Japanese Lady named Kate

Loic

Hi guys,

thanks a lot, it is good to have such support and encouragements :rolleyes:

Kev,

I have tryed to shoot those LG like 25 times now and it seams this is the best I will manage to obtain... I really am a poor photographer! Hope this is good enough for you to see what you are after.

Cheers,

loic

post-3547-1228258288.jpg

Hi guys,

thanks a lot, it is good to have such support and encouragements :rolleyes:

Kev,

I have tryed to shoot those LG like 25 times now and it seams this is the best I will manage to obtain... I really am a poor photographer! Hope this is good enough for you to see what you are after.

Cheers,

loic

Thanks Loic, that is indeed better. I made a start on gear legs for the Zero some time ago, and haven't revisited them yet. Probably early next year at this stage.

Thanks again.

Kev

Just really great Loic...

I was thinking of your build as I watched a show called Battlefields. They shaowed a Kate taking off and it seemed to have a very strange appearance to the canopy.Instead of curved plexiglass near the top panel it was faceted, angled. I did a double take as I had never noticed this before.

Have you noticed this in your plans?

Anyway you are doing such a great job on this scratchbuild I just know that Tamiya/Hasegawa will put one out weeks after you finish this one.

Great job!!!!

Jon

Hey Jon,

I just left you from your Corsair thread!

Thanks for the kind words.

I have never noticed such thing on Kate canopy but my references are limited.

Though, I do own a serie of DVD/documentary called "battlefield" at home, do you know what the one you saw was about?

I can see 3 related topic in my collection: battle for Midway, Leyte gulf or Okinawa. Would there be a chance it is one of those you did watch?

Cheers,

Loic

Hey Jon,

I just left you from your Corsair thread!

Thanks for the kind words.

I have never noticed such thing on Kate canopy but my references are limited.

Though, I do own a serie of DVD/documentary called "battlefield" at home, do you know what the one you saw was about?

I can see 3 related topic in my collection: battle for Midway, Leyte gulf or Okinawa. Would there be a chance it is one of those you did watch?

Cheers,

Loic

Loic,

it was on the Military Cannel this morning It was the battle of Midway episode the second hour of the two hour documentory as the Japanese were taking off to strike the Island.

I thought it was a Kate, I kept watching for another clip but they just showed Vals and zeros after that. It is the side transition into the top panel that looked angular on the greenhouse canopy about 3/4 to the top along the center portion of the canopy. It was the darndest thing because I would of expected it to be curved similar to early Bf-109 canopies. I just saw it for a split second.

Hi guys,

Jon,

I have been checking the Battle for Midway documentary and I think I managed to spot the action you did talk about.

I agree that seen once at regular speed/motion, it seams the canopy frame looks more "square" than "round". This said, I lucky I can play, replay, pause, etc... and I can tell you it is an optical effect due to light/shaddow that make the canopy frame stand out compared to the plexy. But man, you really have one sharpp eye cause the sequence does last for say 1/2 sec!

As far as an hypthetical Hase/Trump/Tami Kate release, I would realy embrace such good news. Lets hope for the best and if anyone has some level of info on that, I guess this is time to share!

On a different topic, I just saw about the anouncement of a 1/32 Il-2 :rolleyes: that is somehow an evidence things do not always go the "wrong" way cause this one was a very serious competitor in my what's next list.

Anyway, back to the project...

I needed to change my mind from all the structural work before I start working on the tail feathers so i have been working on the Torpedo ;) The main idea was to do something different from sanding, filling, etc... and that proved to be not such a good move indeed... <_<

I started to dig for info and the best I managed to find was on j-aircraft. After some calculation, it appears that the type 91 in 1/32 scale would be 14mm diametre and 167mm long. All I have in hand is 10mm and 15mm diam styren tubing :angry: . I so started to increase the 10mm tubing diametre by glueing some 0.25mm thick flat styren stirpes around it in a "spring coils" motion/shape, right to left, left to right, and again and again... with some level of sanding/filling in between each application.

The last layer was wraped around in order to have a hopefully seamless (or single seam...) skin.

Then, the front end was the easy bit, it was canibalised from an Hase Ki43 external fuel tank.

Then rear end comesfrom a pen :P and the tubing was sanded flush to the pen shape (that bit was the real pain!)

The props are made from styren glued on a rod that is later inserted into a piece of brass tubing stuck into the fromer pen.

The wood fins are made from regular styren.

Here are some pics to illustrate.

Cheers,

Loic

post-3547-1228562495.jpg

post-3547-1228562519.jpg

Loic, that is one sweet looking torpedo! I have to make a British Mk.18 (I think?) torpedo for the Beaufighter at some point, so your work is very encouraging (mine will probably have to be solid though in order to withstand production moulding processes!). I am really enjoying watching this build :rolleyes:.

Regards

Derek

Loic.

The torpedo is a piece of art!!!! You continue to impress!!

I agree a IL-2 Sturmovik is a great historical plane that needed doing in 1/32nd scale.

One of the key players in the "Great Patriotic War".

keep up the great work, your pace is breathtaking.

Jon