Jump to content
aldur

Tamiya's A6M2b zero

Recommended Posts

That cockpit looks terrific Ian

 

It is indeed a great piece of engineering/detail by tamiya. I might try and add the ignition wires if I can find a suitable fine wire. Any suggestions anyone?

 

greetings,

Ian

 

Here is a link to a site selling lead wire.

This stuff is very soft and easy to work. It's available in three gauges and they do mail order.

HTH

 

Fly fishing wire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I'm finally back with an update. Haven't done much (been very busy reading some excellent aviation related books I got recently) but I still hope to finish it before the end of the GB.

 

This is how she's looking at the moment:

DSC01021.JPG

DSC01026.JPG

 

I had a little problem with the bottom. I removed to much plastic when removing the sprue attachment:

DSC00961.JPG

 

But I managed to get it all smooth with the help of some milliput:

DSC00962.JPG

 

I didn't get the riveting back the way it should though. Haven't got the hang of that yet.

 

I also did some extra detailing on the engine (first time for me):

DSC00969.JPG

DSC01032.JPG

 

Hope you like it and any comments are very welcome.

 

greetings,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

 

I'm finally back with an update. Haven't done much (been very busy reading some excellent aviation related books I got recently) but I still hope to finish it before the end of the GB.

 

This is how she's looking at the moment:

DSC01021.JPG

DSC01026.JPG

 

I had a little problem with the bottom. I removed to much plastic when removing the sprue attachment:

DSC00961.JPG

 

But I managed to get it all smooth with the help of some milliput:

DSC00962.JPG

 

I didn't get the riveting back the way it should though. Haven't got the hang of that yet.

 

I also did some extra detailing on the engine (first time for me):

DSC00969.JPG

DSC01032.JPG

 

Hope you like it and any comments are very welcome.

 

greetings,

Ian

 

Hi Ian,

 

Looks good. But I have some remarks. I do not know much about Japaneese engines but aren't there two sparkplugs for one cilynder? It looks that you placed the wire into the spot where the fuelinjection is. Maybe check some references, most radial engines work the same. Try use thin solder wire instead of metal. Solder is softer and much easier to bend. On the other hand the engine looks great to me so why bother.

 

Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's finished.

 

Last week I was able to put the finishing touches on the zero.

 

Here it is after putting the decals on:

DSC01047.JPG

DSC01048.JPG

 

The decals are a bit thick and the larger ones didn't completely conform to all the rivets, even after large amounts of microsol.

 

A little bit of weathering:

some exhaust staining. A first for me and I'm quite satisfied with the result.

DSC01049.JPG

 

The last bits an pieces that have to go on:

DSC01054.JPG

 

And here she is finished:

DSC01056.JPG

DSC01058.JPG

DSC01060.JPG

DSC01064.JPG

 

And as I currently don't have a good place to show it, it's put back into the box:

DSC01080.JPG

 

 

Hope you like it.

Greetings

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the great comments.

It was a fun build. The fit was great and I can recommend it to everybody.

Now I have to experiment some more with the weathering. But I'm always afraid to ruin the finish.

 

greetings,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks FANTASTIC, Ian!!!! Great job all around. Really digging that paint-scheme. Sweeeet! Congratulations on finishing, and thanks for sharing pics of the completed model. :unsure: Veeery nice, Russ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...