ME-110G-2

Whoohoo! Okay, my 'real life' duties are complete, and I'm back to hacking on this piece of plastic. :P Oh yeah, Rigor, I HAVE found a pic of this aircraft in the Squadron book;'Me-110 Zerstorers In Action'. I had some more pics in a series of books called;'WWII Photo Album' German Fighters Over Russia' in the 80's. Wish I still had it, as it showed a coupla pics of an AC with a variation of the 'pinching skeleton hand' on the outside of the engine nacelles in addition to the nose. Pity. I only have the one 'Fighters Defending The Reich' left in my reference.

But, I digress. Took some in-progress pics of the wing-top nacelles in different stages being boxed in ready for putty, just so ya'll can see how I'm going about it. No clear notion of what I'm doing, just following a path of least resistance. These 'formers' serve no function except as a guide for sculpting, and to keep both sides symetrical. I'm 'boxing' it all in cause I want to keep the weight down, and not use as much filler.(and it's a fun to doodle with! :wub:)

post-4413-1215947038.jpg

Here are some views of the port/starboard engines as I'm working on it. I'll have some before/after pics next to a kit nacelle/engine after slathering on the putty and sanding for a comparison later. I've already started to build the engine nacelles themselves as I now have a permanent firewall to match them to. Working on a way to box in the exhaust pipes, cause I want to be able to remove them in the future. I will be casting these engines/nacelles as a unit eventually. Makinng another ME-110, and I don't want to have to scratch all this again. Here's the pics so ya'll can run yer eyes over them and see what I'm doing, and check out the lines.

post-4413-1215947746.jpg

post-4413-1215947791.jpg

That's all for tonight, might have an engine done by Sunday to plug on the front and show ya'll. Wish my resin spinners would show up so I can be sure they'll fit. :angry: More pics soon! Russ

I had some more pics in a series of books called;'WWII Photo Album' German Fighters Over Russia' in the 80's. Wish I still had it, as it showed a coupla pics of an AC with a variation of the 'pinching skeleton hand' on the outside of the engine nacelles in addition to the nose. Pity.

I happen to have that one Russ

110b-1.jpg

110a-1.jpg hope they help.

Russ-

What kind of filler are you going to use on the nacelles? I cannot seem to think of anything that would be fairly light weight......Can't wait to see what you do with her......

Kinda reminds me of my 219 project......My Sony Camera died, and do not have the lense set up on my wife's Nikon to shoot my models anymore.........

When in doubt, rip it out!!!!!!!

THOR :rolleyes:

Guest Rigor

When in doubt, rip it out!!!!!!!

THOR :ph34r:

:P :lol: love it, the pix mike showed is the one i have and nice work russ, watching this one close

Whoakay! Almost at 2 weeks into this build, and I've only got 1 more month. Gahhh! <_< I guess I'd better get on the ole stick, and start playing hardball. Thanks for posting the pics Mike! My memory must be kaput though, cause I thought the 'bony hands across the nacelles' were in that book. The ones I'm remembering(? duh) just show the nacelles, and not the one on the nose....so there's more stuff out there on this Stab unit. They only operated 3-4 F-3's/G-3's at a time according to my sources...and only the Stab had Me-110's. I completely missed that owl insignia under the cockpit until I saw these pics...makes sense as they were an observation/sometime night attack unit from what I've read.

Already got the engine/nacelles filled with putty,...sweet!...and remembered I hadn't posted pics of the engines being 'built up. Doooh! Wasn't expecting this much interest in a Me-110 build, so I've had my head down "Dereking" a way to scratching these motors up. So....here's some pics of where I was. You can probably tell by my construction techniques that I was a large scale RC guy and made formers and templates with wood? Enough flapping of the gums, here's the pics.

post-4413-1216113704.jpg

Squareing up the prop base

post-4413-1216113761.jpg

Boxing in the exhausts...you can see this looks a lot like my 'dummy' motor.

Looks kinda strange without the oil coolers slung under the nacelles, but I want to build/cast these seperate. Already going to have to come up with new technique to get those boxed-in exhausts to come out crisp without bubbles and such. Maybe a "centrifical motion/shaking/twirling of the molds? Bwhahaha. <_< Here's some views of the top and front. Sorry for pic quality....by I'm on a schedule! Tomorrow I should have pics of the filled in nacelles/engines and be working on the little scoops and supercharger intake on the port side. I see by Mike's pics, that I need to put a tropical filter 'stub' on the starboard side. It's in the wrong place there anyway, and the wrong size opening, sooo...like ya'll said. Rip It Out!(hmmm, or at least cover it up) More pics tomorrow. Russ

post-4413-1216114710.jpg

post-4413-1216114736.jpg

Uh oh, Did somebody say more pics?! ;) I'm dilly-dallying around sanding on the engines/nacelles still, so I thought I'd post some pics of when I was 'eyeballing the whole package' all mocked up. Didn't want to post these earlier, as I was afraid of a lot of flak(or thrown rocks? :lol: about taking up a lot of bandwidth, and I'm sure everybody is tired of looking at my non-filled in engines. This is the point in every build(?), when ya prop everything together and just check out the lines....see if it's going to look OK? Was too lazy to dig out another spinner, and my resin ones hadn't yet(still) arrived. Darn it. So...thought I'd share my dimension(dementia) check, and see what ya'll think so far.

post-4413-1216206978.jpg

Starting to look a lot more like an Me-110 now. Kinda embarrassed to post pics of the AC looking so 'low tide' like this, but it's all part of the process. Can't wait to show pics with the puttied up engines and filled in fuse plugs...it's looking pretty sweet now.

post-4413-1216207478.jpg

Wow, you've really butchered that old bird Russ! Looks like it's coming together nicely though, and it's always a good feeling when you can get all the parts together and recognise it as the intended subject matter. ;) Looking forward to your next update.

Kev

Last of the "big picture" pictures for now. Thought ya'll might be interested to see how it looks all mocked up. Working on my next power-point presentation for next round of pics, to show what the new motors look like compared to mocked up kit original. ;) Kinda interesting? So do you think my mods are OK so far?!(Ooooh, I don't even know why I asked that; Be careful what you wish for, ya just might get it, eh?! hah!) Gotta go! Russ

post-4413-1216208008.jpg