Lt. Rif Raaf

LSP_Mike

This is my progress so far with lt. Rif Raaf. my camera refuses to get close enough to show some of the stuff I've added, but it's there. The thing i'm thinkin on now is all the raised detail, and not loseing it when I glue this up. Once it's glued the paint should progress quickly.

spitsfireprogress1.jpg

HI Looking Good I can see the extra detail if I look close. Watch the upper wing to flusage joint I had to putty it all the way down on both sides.

Texas :) :D :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays guys, I've a lot on my plate, and thinkin about how to handle some of the issues w/ this kit. We have an IPMS contest late this month, so want to do a good job. This is a general arrangement of parts to this point.

spitsfireprogress2.jpg

The kit has raised detail, so I have to figure what is ok to lose in cleaning the seams.

Here is a shot of the bottom. I've reworked the coolers, and wheel wells, added brake lines, and am going to use some of the decals shown in the previous picture. I'm thinkin on a "Grey Nurse" sqdn plane, but we'll see.

spitsfireprogress3.jpg

Very cool! It's great to not only see another of these Comic birds, but one that is being given a makeover to boot. Should be really terrific when you're finished!

Yeah, It is hard! I've placed 2nd at IPMS shows w/ egg planes, and it's funny watching peoples reactions, given that a lot of modellers don't consider these serious models. It's almost like they're offended! I'm just spending a little more time on seams and such.

Mike: Yes, I've experienced the 'offended" syndrome ...I usually respond with a hearty "Lighten Up..!"...some folks are just too serious.... :lol: ....I think it's time for a U-Haul space shuttle.... :lol:

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I had to dig to find the thread, but Lt. Rif Raaf is ready to defend Oz. The completed Spitsfire. All scoops, wheel wells, and gear legs detailed. Not as clean as Radus, but copied unashamedly.

spitsfire-2.jpg

spitsfire-3.jpg

You can see Lt. Raaf shoots pretty much anything that gets in front of him...

spitsfire-1.jpg

The white tail, and leading edge stripes are IFF devices from that theater. Colors are mixed from Ian Bakers color chips; the green is a little off, but the others are on the mark. Aussie decals I branged back from OZ. They snuggled right down with micro-set. Lt. Raaf puffs merrily away on his pipe, which are Q-tip fibers.(or cotton bud)

Mike I've been trying to find this kit for some time and I really like the job you did on your's.Very cool.Reminds me of when I was a kid.I haven't managed to find this kit yet so if anyone reads this and has this kit and are willing to part with it,please drop me a line...cheers

Mike I've been trying to find this kit for some time and I really like the job you did on your's.Very cool.Reminds me of when I was a kid.I haven't managed to find this kit yet so if anyone reads this and has this kit and are willing to part with it,please drop me a line...cheers

Isn't it on the re-release list for this year?

Kev