PCM Mk.IXc

RandyB

Working on it again tonight... Here are the finished cockpit pieces with a wash and then dullcoated. You can't really make it out, but the cockpit sidewalls do curve in at the bottom, approximating the Spitfire's framing. There is some basic "detail" on the inner face of the wing bottom to replicate the interior framing that can be seen at the bottom of the cockpit. This will have to be scratch built a little bit...

post-313-1209364235.jpg

This one came out a little blurry - I'll have to retake the photo tomorrow...

post-313-1209364244.jpg

post-313-1209364254.jpg

post-313-1209364274.jpg

Here is some other stuff I've taken care of...

post-313-1209364797.jpg

I'm going to have to cut away the elevator and reposition it. There are two reasons that forced my hand on this... 1) Almost all of the Spitfire photos I've seen show a characteristic "droop" to the elevators when the aircraft is parked. 2) As molded, the elevators appear to have a bit of up angle...

post-313-1209364692.jpg

This is no bueno... but easy enough to fix. And, after considering it for a bit, I really doubt it would be that noticeable on the completed kit sitting on the table. :unsure:

I've started working on the wheel wells - well, actually I've just cut them away from there pour stubs and sanded them to fit. We'll see all of that next time...

Looking super Randy. I think I'll have a look here in Okinawa Japan for the kit, and see if I can't get another one, I am still waiting for my pre-order to arrive... Can't have enough Spitfires...

Cheers

Brad

Lookin good so far, Randy.

Can't believe it's been over two years since your last (and only other?) on-line build!

I am really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Keith.

Randy...it's been what?Two days now and no pics...it's not gonna build itself :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Dave, you're a funny guy...

Lookin good so far, Randy.

Can't believe it's been over two years since your last (and only other?) on-line build!

I am really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Keith.

Yeah, I guess it's been a while... I did complete a couple of things, but they are in that smaller scale. :rolleyes: I have started a bunch more - nothing like adding to the "in-progress" pile.

Anyway, I've started putting the fuselage halves together and inserting the cockpit bits. Here are some photos of the cockpit after I started closing up the fuselage. One thing to mention, though... I deviated from the instructions and started by gluing the sidewalls in place and then closing up the fuselage. I only glued the nose and tail to leave some wiggle room for the bulkheads. This still created some problems when inserting the seat/armor assembly and the control column/rudder pedal assembly. So, the moral of the story... follow the instructions. ;)

post-313-1209691595.jpg

post-313-1209691606.jpg

post-313-1209691617.jpg

post-313-1209691631.jpg

post-313-1209691652.jpg

I also began working on the wheel wells. Take care when gluing them into place, as the tolerances are very tight to prevent any unsightly overlap from showing on the underside of the wings... In other words, make sure you check, double check, and triple check your alignment between the resin part and the hole in the lower wing.

post-313-1209691569.jpg

More coming...

Randy that's very cool! I spoke with PCM last week and with any luck my two will show up early next week.You're doing a great job on it and thanks for the heads-up with regards to the cockpit.I messed up my Re.2005 by not doing what the instructions called for and they were spot on.My mistake but I'll fix it down the road.That looks to be a great little kit.Thanks for keeping it going :lol:

Yep, I guess those instructions are a bit more than suggestions some of the time... <_<

Last night, I also started dry fitting the lower wing surface to the fuselage. Immediately, I noticed that the forward joint was mismatched - not by much, but enough to make filling and sanding and shaping a big pain. I hate that kind of stuff, so as a preemptive strike against that enemy of the modelers, filling and sanding, I decided to shim it instead...

post-313-1209695486.jpg

and the requisite blurry image... :lol:

post-313-1209695500.jpg

That's it for now. I'll be back in the shop tonight working away on it...

Last night, I also started dry fitting the lower wing surface to the fuselage. Immediately, I noticed that the forward joint was mismatched - not by much, but enough to make filling and sanding and shaping a big pain. I hate that kind of stuff, so as a preemptive strike against that enemy of the modelers, filling and sanding, I decided to shim it instead...

Aww gee Randy have you ever heard no guts no glory <_< Wimping out on the filling and sanding :blink: :lol: But l agree if you can take some of the work out of it great all the more power to you

Randy the more I see this kit the more I like it.Really a good looking kit ...

I agree, minor glitches aside, this looks like an accurate and well-engineered kit. Judging from the photos, the cockpit looks like the most authentic I've seen in any scale, attention has been paid to the wheelwells and the radiator areas. Very impressive!

I agree, minor glitches aside, this looks like an accurate and well-engineered kit. Judging from the photos, the cockpit looks like the most authentic I've seen in any scale, attention has been paid to the wheelwells and the radiator areas. Very impressive!

l agree. but not only is it a well engineered kit but the gap it fills and the various variants including several PR spitfires and Seafires that can be made using this kit is awesome.

l agree. but not only is it a well engineered kit but the gap it fills and the various variants including several PR spitfires and Seafires that can be made using this kit is awesome.

Definitely!, Ohhh, the possibilities. :lol: Kit looks awesome, and this is a great build of it, Randy. Can't wait to see more. Looking REAL good!!! Russ

Thanks guys!

Yes, this kit is fantastic - I'm glad I picked up a couple more for the stash. Although, I'm bummed that the broad chord rudder was not included... <_<

Anyway, I had to quit early tonight as I had an accident in the shop. I cut away the starboard elevator, and I was cutting some round styrene tubing in half for the leading edge of the elevator. Well, I was rushing to get both elevators done tonight and my X-acto knife slipped and managed to stick my thumb. I got a nice deep (about half the blade) puncture wound... :lol:

I wrapped it in paper towels and masking tape and continued on... but I soon found that my tape laden thumb wasn't exactly carrying it's weight. :blink: So, I just went inside...