YES!Another Bf109 G-6

Guest canuck63

A small update on my 109 G6 build!The fuse is about to be riveted all over but I’ve put it aside for a while and tackled the wings!I’ve nearly finished one of the upper wings(need to fill a line of rivets on the wingtip and add one in the correct place) and next will be installing Radu’s OUTSTANDING wheel well,which is glued to the inner upper wing.Radu’s wheel wells are INCREDIBLE and will add a lot to the model!

During the riveting stages I usually airbrush a thin coat of primer ( straight automotive Red Oxide primer this time) to check to which extent the rivets stand out,they look black in these pictures because I’ve filled them up with a slurry made of fine pigments and white spirit.

Cheers <_<

Manny

Looking good Manny, glad your back to working on the 109.

Mike

Really nice 109 Manny. I've uploaded some piccies from the AWM 109 that I took in 2006 when visiting with Mike from California. From what we could see most of the fuselage rivetting was hard to see except in the obvious spots and where the colour was lighter. The rivets in the wings and tail were much easier to see. I think Loic nails the idea for me though...sometimes its not so much about accuracy but taste and the 'look' you are trying to create.

post-901-1221074885.jpg

Guest canuck63

Hi Matty,

thanks a lot for sharing these great pictures!I've noticed the pieces of laminated wood...very interesting!It also looks like the aircraft was primed with Red Oxide :rolleyes: !If you have more please feel free to show them!

Cheers

Manny

Guest canuck63

Now the port upper wing is finished for good...I forgot to add a few lines of rivets and the kidney-shaped fairing for the wheel has been glued on and blended in with Gunze Mr. Mister...before gluing it I carefully moved the part around with a pointed stick(literally...it went everywhere but where it was supposed to be! :angry: ) to its exact location,secured with a drop of Future and let a little Tamiya extra thin cement do the rest of the job...now it's ready to be primed,checked and for Radu's wheel well!

Cheers

Manny

post-413-1221146268.jpg

Manny nice work it's coming along nicely, and i agree with you ,matty show more pix's if you have them

love the look of that 109 beaten to sh$t !!!!! :D

Guest canuck63

I’ve finished riveting the upper wing and I’ve started installing Radu’s magnificent wheel well.I’ve had the brilliant idea of annealing the strip that must be glued to the ceiling of the well and disaster struck:the flame was a bit too strong and a piece of the strip melted away :angry: …not big deal though,for I will replace the missing section with another one made of brass strip.Radu’s wheel wells are a work of art but are not for the unexperienced modeler IMO,and even a modeler with many PE sets under his belt will have to carefully plan his work and not hurry it by any means.

The small u-shaped channel looks a bit “crooked”,but that will be easily solved by re-shaping the part..it’s been momentarily kept in place by a drop of Tamiya cement with a shaving of styrene dissolved in it,so it’ll come off quite easily.Radu suggests to use Future to glue small parts and that’s good thinking,for Future will firmly hold them where they must be and any smearings will be virtually invisible once the wax is dry!

Gonna post the finished wing soon,with complete well,radiator and stuff :P !

Cheers

Manny

post-413-1221416624.jpg

post-413-1221416637.jpg

Manny,

As always excellent work.Your craftsmanship is simply outstanding.I'm looking forward to seeing this project completed.By the way how's the A5M5 coming along.That's yet another excellent project.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Manny

Coming together nicely. Radu's wheel wells do look a little daunting! I've looked at my set and think I need to get something else under my belt first. Pleasure to watch this machine rising from a pile of plastic, resin and brass..

Matty - do please post any more shots you have of the AWM 109G. Every time I see a new photo there's something previously unseen - wooden parts, non aligned panel lines..etc.. Someone could do a nice detailed photo shoot (2-300 pics) of this machine (like Piet's 190 and 262B sets) and sell them on CD (hint..hint...) - it does need documenting just in case someone decides it needs a nice fresh paint job (though this is becoming out of fashion).

Matt

Great work Manny,

I will have a look at my "box of duds" and see if I have any G6 wheel well test shots left and send you some replacement parts. I definitely have a few for the G2 and the K4. I will let you know as soon as I find out.

Anyway, the "U-shaped" parts can be replaced with pieces of plastic if you wish - they are only cosmetic. As for annealing, there in no need to anneal many of the parts, but if you feell like you need to do so, I recommend that you use a candle flame. As soon as the brass is red, it is softened. More heat will not make it softer. Remember, you want to sofetn it not to smelt it :lol:

Radu

Guest canuck63
Great work Manny,

I will have a look at my "box of duds" and see if I have any G6 wheel well test shots left and send you some replacement parts. I definitely have a few for the G2 and the K4. I will let you know as soon as I find out.

Anyway, the "U-shaped" parts can be replaced with pieces of plastic if you wish - they are only cosmetic. As for annealing, there in no need to anneal many of the parts, but if you feell like you need to do so, I recommend that you use a candle flame. As soon as the brass is red, it is softened. More heat will not make it softer. Remember, you want to sofetn it not to smelt it :rolleyes:

Radu

Hi Radu,

thanks a lot for your friendly gesture mate...I'd help a few spare bits ;) !I know...I don't have excuses because I've annealed a ton of PE parts before..I didn't have a candle or a "regular" lighter handy so I've used one of those lighter that work even in a raging blizzard (they're great to solder small pieces though!),but even if the flame was at its minimum it was strong enough to melt the part at its weakest point :ph34r: ,ie when the strip it's not only narrower,but it's made even weaker by the lenghtening holes!

PE brass have the nasty habit of springing back open sometimes if it's not soldered and annealing will help it and keep the shape but let me tell you that your work is amongst the best I've found to date!There's great engeneering behind your sets Radu...only wish to see more coming because these wells are a BIG improvement,as are your canopies :rolleyes:!

Cheers

manny

Guest canuck63

Gregory and Matt,

thank you very much for visiting and commenting!

Greg,I'm working on this beast at the moment,on a superdetailed 1/48 Gekko and on a Stug III WIP I'll take to Milan's Professional Model Expo at the end of the month!In the meantime I've managed to find some INCREDIBLY DETAILED books in Japan that will help me thru this project (along with an A6M2 :ph34r: )...which I hope won't become another one of my "never-ending stories"...in which the more I add the more I discover I have to add,and in the process I notice mistakes I've made :rolleyes: !

I had thought to fill the Trumpeter Hellcat with the best part of a can of gun powder and blow it when Legend900 came to the rescue with a stunning CD and Eduard started churning out PE sets for the kit that will be of great help...now if only a compassionate soul would make weighted resin wheels for this kit...hint...hint :rolleyes: !

Cheers

Manny

Hi Radu,

thanks a lot for your friendly gesture mate...I'd help a few spare bits :lol: !I know...I don't have excuses because I've annealed a ton of PE parts before..I didn't have a candle or a "regular" lighter handy so I've used one of those lighter that work even in a raging blizzard (they're great to solder small pieces though!),but even if the flame was at its minimum it was strong enough to melt the part at its weakest point :huh: ,ie when the strip it's not only narrower,but it's made even weaker by the lenghtening holes!

PE brass have the nasty habit of springing back open sometimes if it's not soldered and annealing will help it and keep the shape but let me tell you that your work is amongst the best I've found to date!There's great engeneering behind your sets Radu...only wish to see more coming because these wells are a BIG improvement,as are your canopies :lol:!

Cheers

manny

Thanks Manny for your kind words.

The bad news is that I have no parts in my spare box for the G6 wheel well (I have lots for the G2). I will send you a replacement set for the G6 wheel well. Please contact me by PM with your address.

Radu

Guest canuck63
Thanks Manny for your kind words.

The bad news is that I have no parts in my spare box for the G6 wheel well (I have lots for the G2). I will send you a replacement set for the G6 wheel well. Please contact me by PM with your address.

Radu

Words fail me Radu...you're such a great guy!PM sent

Cheerrs

Manny