YES!Another Bf109 G-6

Guest canuck63

Guest canuck63
Nice work so far, Manny!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Thanks a lot Azgaron...hope this build will steadily go on until I'll be able to share with you the complete,finished model!

Cheers

Manu

Guest canuck63

I'm currently making molds of the kit's tailplanes...I'll separate the elevators and I don't want to run the risk of ruining the parts and have no spares :lol: !While the silicone's curing the riveting job goes on...I stopped "riveting the port side for I punched thru where I thinned the plastic near the fuselage inspection hatch...annoying but nothing that a drop of superglue couldn't take care of:

Here's the work I've done on the starboard so far!At first I was asking myself"why am I doing this ?"...later on I've realized that riveting can be fun and it adds a lot to the model!Some rivests may look not perfectly in line and in fact they are...other look so because of the slurry I've used to make them stand out but they're straight instead.Please consider that I've stopped using the MDC riveting strips because positioning them correctly on so many curves it's a PITA...most of the job has been done free hand :rolleyes: after drawing a straight line with a fine pencil using a piece of tape as a guide!

Cheers

Manny

post-413-1208102138.jpg

post-413-1208102172.jpg

post-413-1208102213.jpg

Guest canuck63
That's some really fine work, Manny.

Noticed that you filled in the fuel access panels behind the cockpit. Are these going to be rescribed?

Hi john,

many thanks for showing appreciation mate ;) !Those small hatches are not present on the G-6 so they must be filled with putty and sanded smooth....not to be seen again (hopefully...putty behaves in strange ways sometimes!) :rolleyes: :lol: B) :lol: !

Manny

Hi Manny,

that's a neat job.

I have the same "problem" as you with rivets: I like the look they give to a model and as far as I ma concerned, this is regardless of accuracy sometime.

Can't wait to see your progress on Mr Gustav!

Loic

Guest canuck63

Hi Loic,

riveting is a lenghty,boring job,but it can be fun in a way, merçi beaucoup pour ta visite :D !

420 visits so far...wow...5 replies and 415 lurkers :D !No how-tos in this thread..and when I'll have my "raised rivet technique" perfected I'll send a little PM to the ones who have posted B) !

Cheers

Manny

Beautiful work all around Manny. The riveting is really nice. Also fantastically neat. With all those blown up pics, any defects would really stick out and your work looks so precise, well done. Coming from one who has just finished three of these birds, I love what you are doing.

Great stuff as always Manny!

Your work is extremely crisp and neat. Clearly you are much more patient than I am. Well, and a lot more skilled too, that surely helps as well. :lol:

Guest canuck63

Theseeker,Brian,Kap and Dave,

thanks a bunch for looking and posting!

Brian..your comments and encouragement are always much appreciated..I'm a big fan of yours and from your buildings I've taken take the inspiration I needed to start and to go on with mine!Last night I was studying the photos of the G-6 currently at the Australian War Memorial and even looking very carefully the rivets are almost invisible...usually they were puttied over and sanded smooth,along with many panel lines, to get rid of "parasite drags",and many machines were polished to a high sheen in order to gain a few more mph,just like they do today with F1 and NASCAR racing cars!I want the rivets to be "guessed",rather than being seen...I've discovered that pressing the smaller grainer(size 0) create a tiny "crater" around the small indentation left by the tool,and a few light passes with #0000 steel wool will level things enough to have long rows of nice "raised rivets" that would benefit from a careful dry-brushing...and no..this is not the technique I'm working on :lol: !I've already sanded smooth the rivets on the rear part of the fuselage but I'll be more careful from now on...and a few rivets here and a few there will be more realistic anyway...IMHO!

Cheers

Manny

Guest canuck63
Manny

Lovely work, I have yet to try riveting but it always looks so good on the finished article. Looking forward to more progress shots.

Matt

Hi Matt,

thanks a lot for your comment :lol: !Give riveting a try...it's as boring as it can be but will pay dividends on the finished model!

Cheers

Manny

Guest canuck63

I think the prop assy is ready now :lol: !As I've written in one of my previous posts I've hollowed out the beautiful spinner by Eagles Parts and mated it to a resin copy of the kit's backplate and to copies of the only salvageable prop blade that came in the MD's detailing set.The guys at Model Detail should pay a little more attention to the parts that come with this set...this way they'd have a real winner!The blade I made copies of has a beautiful pitch mechanism to it,even if it'll be nearly invisible once the spinner will be glued to the backplate!

Cheers

Manny

post-413-1208614149.jpg

post-413-1208614177.jpg

post-413-1208614217.jpg