Project Westland Whirlwind

Denie

Project Westland Whirlwind fighter has been one of those “want to do but never got round to it” wishes that I sure we all have.

"I have now got round to it" :lol:

This particular a/c is a firm favourite of mine ever since the boyhood days of making Frog and Airfix models of the Whirlwind. After following Dave/Ironman1945 ‘s beautiful model of this a/c I really wanted to scratch one myself. Funny how seeing someone else's work inspires one to do the same.

Thinking about how I can begin, I had to work out what would be needed. This has now become an international venture. I have bits and pieces from America, Belgium, Canada, France and here in New Zealand. “Thanks guys”

This is all very exciting and nice to know that where ever you are, someone will help you out.

Got to start some where and a plan enlarged to specs has been done and real rubber tyres from Ron (NZ ) fit perfect. I have found that the Hasegawa 1/48 Mosquito inner rims are an excellent fit to these.

More later.

Denie

post-18-1207021471.jpg

post-18-1207021511.jpg

Hi Denie, excellent choice for a project!

Watching people such as Dave build incredible works of art certainly inspire myself as well. I'll be following this build as I intend to build a vac Whirlwind after the Stringbag is finished.

Good luck

P

Hi all

Erwin: I guess I'll have to buy one... :)

Derek: I have plans from Westlands, Granger, these are rather nice and Larsen with some scale mag drawings. In my opinion they all look like the Whirlwind and there are of course some mistakes. I elected to use the ones by Westlands because, they are as close I think to the real thing as far as scale modeling is concerned.

Perry: I like the Glad and "String bag" looks great. I'll e-mail you what I have if that helps.

Denie

post-18-1207083086.jpg

HI all

One of the Revell Typhoon spinners arrieved from Belgium. Many thanks Erwin.

Yesterday I had a reall close look at the 20 mm cannons the a/c used and around 6 parts will go into making one gun with 9 cooling slots at each end. Must say to replicate the cooling slots will take a bit of thinking out. Dave your way looks like it might be the way.

Any hoo, I've done a rough drawing of this and will tinker away.

Denie

Hey Denie!

Great to see someone giving scratchbuilding a go. If I can do it, everyone else here can!

I wasnt totally happy with my method of reproducing the guns, but I couldnt think of anything else. You could try cutting the slots into some thin tubing; I thought of this and tinkered with the idea, but in the end it didnt work for me... I think no patience and not the right tools.

I believe I remember where I put the master for my canopy/windscreen, hope to get it out in the next few weeks and pull a copy for you. Will keep you informed.

Dave/Ironman1945

Hi all

Recieved the P 40 props from America, Many thanks Larry, when cut down and shaped "be just like the real thing".

I had a thought to make cockpit frame work out of coke alloy, not quite what I had in mind with first trial but with further thought can be done. I might just use plastic card as it would speed up the building proccess.

This week I'll be working on cockpit frame work, seat,20 mm cannon and where things fit in.

Denie

Hi Denie,

Thanks for the source information - I shall try to obtain a copy of these from somewhere when I start mine. Good luck for your build.

Derek

Hi all

Erwin: I guess I'll have to buy one... :)

Derek: I have plans from Westlands, Granger, these are rather nice and Larsen with some scale mag drawings. In my opinion they all look like the Whirlwind and there are of course some mistakes. I elected to use the ones by Westlands because, they are as close I think to the real thing as far as scale modeling is concerned.

Perry: I like the Glad and "String bag" looks great. I'll e-mail you what I have if that helps.

Denie

Hi Denie,

Thanks for the source information - I shall try to obtain a copy of these from somewhere when I start mine. Good luck for your build.

Derek

Hi Derek

I'll e-mail you the plans in the next day or so.

This will give some thing to think about.

Denie

Denie,

Thank you - that would be a brilliant start for me (PM sent with my e-maol address).

Best regards

Derek

Hi Derek

I'll e-mail you the plans in the next day or so.

This will give some thing to think about.

Denie

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Project Whirlwind has entered a new phase.

I have obtained the ID Models 1/32 scale Vac and this will greatly speed up the build by not haveing to scratch the basic shape.

Recieved the ID Models Westland Whirlwind this morning.

On inspection the plastic is one large single sheet that is white with no hint of yellowing. Canopy clearish with bubbly looking plastic needs replacement (ironman is pulling me one).

Lack of detail is what sets these vac's apart, however with Combat vacs you have a choice of basic vac or basic vac with details set.

Plan of the a/c is excellent with no fade at all. Checked with my set of 1/32 scale drawings by Westlands and match "exactly". looks like Doug used Westlands plans for his master.

Assesment: As a vac the is is very good in terms off acurite vacing ( a word?) amd with this in mind, the builder will derive great satisfaction in detailing a basic form and will incite more of the same. :lol:

Some pics.

logo.jpg[/img]

[/img]

closeup1.jpg[/img]

carrierWW.jpg[/img]

prop1.jpg[/img]

Hi all

Much progress to day with the cutting out of model bits.

I rather like the marking, scoreing and bending apart of the plastic. :P

The whole process takes about an hour to the point of sanding.

Ready to do the sanding tonite.

Any way rather thank bore you all, here are some pics.

basiccutout.jpg[/img]

tidyupcut.jpg[/img]

mockup.jpg[/img]

More later

Denie

Looking very good so far Denie - seeing the parts loosely assembled makes the Whirlwind look very much like a Welkin! I may need some advice off you wrt the Welkin before I start on mine. I shall watch this build with interest.

Regards

Derek