Oh look, another Fw-190D-9!

tbell

Almost there...

I just have to do the fiddly bits - antenna, weapons, exhausts and a few weathering touches. It should be finished in a week or so.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

...and here's the final look of the Montex Masks. I've got to say, I'm very impressed with this product.

IMG_1101.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks, guys!

How did you make the paint chips on the wing root, they look really great. Painted on by brush or did you use some other technique?

Brian, I used a Prismacolor silver coloured pencil for the paint chipping. I sharpen the pencil to a needle point and lightly tap the model with it to gradually build up the chipped areas. I then sprayed a flat coat and repeated the exercise again so that the chipping doesn't look like it is all the same age.

Although it's not really visible in the photos, I also applied some paint scuffing by dabbing on lighter shades of the RLM75 & 83 with a ripped piece of sponge (a technique I stole from the armour guys). It's very subtle, but adds quite a bit of depth to the wear areas, IMHO.

Cheers,

Tony

How did you like the Montex masks? I will be using some for my T-bolt build.

Hi Brad,

The Montex Masks worked very well. One useful trick I came up with was to use Scotch "Magic Tape" to transfer the more delicate masks (such as for the white pinstripe outlines of the "||>") from the backing paper to the model. This way the relative positions of the different elements of the masks are retained, and you can still see where you're positioning them. The masking film is also very sticky, so for the larger masks like the "balkenkreuzen" I stuck them to the palm of my hand to reduce the tack before applying them to the model.

One thing to watch out for when doing US insignia is that if you paint the camo first, mask the outline, spray the white, mask the star & bars and then spray the blue, you'll find that the white will be slightly visible around the edges when you remove the masks. To get around this you can:

- Use a standoff mask a bit smaller than the outline in order to avoid the white building up at the edge, or;

- Paint the camo, mask and paint the solid blue outline, mask the blue off (use the Scotch Tape trick to transfer the mask) and then spray the white.

If you do the latter, be sure to seal the seam between the mask for the outline and the mask for the blue portion with liquid mask (or bits of tape)...

Cheers,

Tony