Still MORE uses for Future

Allok

Ever since Chris S confessed to using floor wax instead of water to prevent silvering on his decals, I've been dying to try it.

Although my attempt at using the wax exclusively failed, I found that applying the wax to the model and then another coating afterwards really works wonders.

I also found than silvering can be reduced in decals that were applied months previously. Magic!!

You do have to be careful, though as the wax makes the decals very soft.

I still recommend the use of Micro Set/Sol.

Model on,

Keith.

Using Future as a decal solvent is tricky. You can't really soak the decals in it due to its viscosity, so I still use water there...however a drop of future under the decal is almost magical. Future is self leveling so it fills any surface detail as it starts to cure, and sucks down the decal to the surface. The basic effect is no different than other decal solvents however the Future allows for incredible decal adheasion to severe and intricate surface detail (such as simulated fabric texturing) with ZERO silvering.

The key lies in controlling the Future in very careful amounts and maintaining patience and a relaxed approach. Sometimes the Future can display some tinting and or staining while it is drying. This usually corrects itself as the Future drys fully, and if it does not then subsequent applications of Future can often cure any blemishes.

Great tip!!

I've been experimenting using "tinted" FUTURE to simulate the discoloring often observed on chromed exhaust pipes due to high engine heat. I've attached a pic to show you what I've done with the comic Ni-11 that will be completed for the Incomplete/stalled GB. I tinted three small quantities of Future with Gel Food Colors from Betty Crocker. in this case I used Yellow, Red and Blue applied with a cotton swab..

How does it look to you..?

Cheers,

ggc

PB220058cropped.jpg

I haven't tried it out on real decals, but it doesn't work on the thick-assed Hasegawa decals. They shrivel up and then the Future dries before the decal has a chance to flatten out. They were older Hasegawa decals, not the newer ones that I hear are better and thinner.

Don't know how many people use kit decals...

Madferret

Don't know how many people use kit decals...

Kits come with decals???!

Actually, I'm with Kev on this one.

But, as many of my kits are either very old, re-builds or of an odd subject, the decals are usually a mixture of whatever I can get my hands on.

Having said that, I've tried the above technique on a wide variety of decals now and with varied results... so be careful.

Future is basically acrylic. Another use is for hiding scratches in plexiglass. I have a sheet of clear plexiglass in use as the top of a table. There are scratches on it after years of use and misuse. Apply Future to it and the acrylic fills the scratches and they become virtually invisible.

Wonderful stuff.

P.S. to CPNGROATS Yes, I am still working on the Vulgarian :ph34r: decal sheets. I was busy making money this week. Eating comes before fun. But please keep needling me about them - I need to be prodded. I will make time this weekend for the decals, I promise. By the way, did you know that the Caprioni 9 wing 8 engine flying boat of WW1 was really designed in Vulgaria? They let the Caprioni company build it because they didn't want to risk their own money on the project. Good thinking. :lol:

Did you know that the Caprioni 9 wing 8 engine flying boat of WW1 was really designed in Vulgaria?

I believe the Fieseler Storch and Pilatus Porter were originally Vulgarian designs, perfect for landing in your back yard.

Interesting question....I'm certain that the Vulgarian airforce utilized such autogyro's....which of course would make a cool model...I'm thinking William's Brothers kit (1/48)....

Hail Freedonia :) another little known country....

Cheers,

ggc

Interesting question....I'm certain that the Vulgarian airforce utilized such autogyro's....which of course would make a cool model...I'm thinking William's Brothers kit (1/48)....

Hail Freedonia :rolleyes: another little known country....

Cheers,

ggc

Ah yes, the Marx Bros movie DUCK SOUP where Groucho Marx is Rufus T. Firefly and is named president/dictator of bankrupt Freedonia and declares war on neighboring Sylvania over the love of wealthy Mrs. Teasdale (Margaret Dumont).

The funniest movies ever made!

Ah yes, the Marx Bros movie DUCK SOUP where Groucho Marx is Rufus T. Firefly and is named president/dictator of bankrupt Freedonia and declares war on neighboring Sylvania over the love of wealthy Mrs. Teasdale (Margaret Dumont).

The funniest movies ever made!

Let's not forget the musical numbers by Cab Calloway { HEDI HEIDI HEIDI HEIDIE HO..!! }... who later did a cameo in the Blues Bro's movie... :P , that also was too cool... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

ggc