1/32 Trumpeter P-38

ironman1945

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Well, finally got some time to put towards the P-38. Here she is with some decals on; still need to attach the small bits (gun barrels, tires, pitot tube, etc etc ) and give her some sort of weathering.

post-562-1230673637.jpg

And one last shot.

I have an amazing P-38 stencil set from Hobby Decal, with tons of stencils I could put on... but I am inclined not to do so. Wartime photos seem to indicate that with usage, as the stencils come off, they are rarely replaced. An example are the red fuel filler circles that ago around the fueling stations on the wing.

Any thoughts on this?

Take care, have a Happy New Year, and hopefully the she will be finished in the next set of photos.

Dave/Ironman 1945

post-562-1230674811.jpg

This looks fantastic!

If it were me, I'd use the stencils. It's probably true that many wore off but I've always thought that the stencils add a ton of authenticity to a model. Besides, the Hobby Decal stencils are sooo nice to work with!

Wow Dave,

Great Work. My P-38 has languished all year because of the work needed to restore the surface detail after eliminating the rivets. I finally got back to it a week ago and hope to start painting soon. But you'rs looks magnificent and really inspires me to get mine done. Superb job with the Rub N Buff. I am really looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Carl

i love it, and good to see rubnbuff still being used. as i said some months ago, on a different thread, i used it on my mig 15, but did'nt seal it. didn't think it would work with future/clear but now, thanks to those and this thread i'm giving it a coat------thats what i love about this site.

dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave/Ironman,

1st: Your P-38 looks great!

I just wanted to be sure about one thing with the Rub n Buff... does it really clean up with hot water and soap?!? I bought a tube and it mentions what to clean it with on the back.. not that I am doubting you, it is me not wanting to buy anything I don't/won't need! I get cheaper as I get older!

Thanks!

Gary V.

Another view. When the R/B paste dries on the brush, it can leave heavy streaks on the piece your coating. At this point I stop, wash the brush out with hot water and soap, and wait for it to dry before beginning another session.

I have had no problems stopping in the middle of a part (such as on the landing gear cover as shown) and recommencing at a later time. In all it took me 5 or 6 20-30 minute sessions to cover the main body of the P-38, over a period of about 1 week.

If you do happen to end up with a lumpy area, I have found it can be sanded down; I have used Mastercasters sanding sticks for this. Really though, its pretty simple, and I did not have to resort to sanding more then once, and that was on a section I was applying R and B with a piece of cloth instead of a brush.

Anyway thats all for now. Again sorry for the poor photo quality, not enough time in the day to set things up as I would really like to. Take care all and have a nice week!

Dave/Ironman1945